Radio Aerials/antennas | FerrariChat

Radio Aerials/antennas

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by UKtifosi, Sep 26, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UKtifosi

UKtifosi Karting

May 7, 2014
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Glyde
    Hi, I haven't seen these mentioned before. But has anyone replaced the 'prehistoric' metal radio aerial that slides out of the back with something more modern?

2. UKtifosi

UKtifosi Karting

May 7, 2014
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Glyde
    i guess the answer is no.

3. Cadillacbart

Cadillacbart Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    I cant help you. I quite like my semi-automatic 1980's antennae.

4. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Yes I did when my non-original one broke. I since found an original NOS antenna in Italy, so the modern one is for sale on ebay. It's about a year old.
    If you are interested, I would supply the Mondial specific adapters to you as well. PM me please in case.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. UKtifosi

UKtifosi Karting

May 7, 2014
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Glyde
    Hi, thank you very much . It's great of you to reply. At the moment I don't really need a new aerial as mine works fine, I was just wondering if there was a better way of picking up radio signals as most cars now (including Ferraris) have hidden aerials. Paul

6. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    yes, I've replaced both on 348 and the mondial with universal units which I get from www.sumitracing.com

7. UKtifosi

UKtifosi Karting

May 7, 2014
    Kent, UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Glyde
    Thank you for this, I'll check them out. Paul

8. ATLdoghouse

ATLdoghouse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2016
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Cody L
  9. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
  10. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    autoloc antenna

www.autoloc.com

http://www.autoloc.com/catalog/Antennas/Flush-Mount-Power-Antenna/AUTPAC/Chrome-Power-Antenna-Kit

I will say that I have not figured out how to get the universal to auto raise with the radio power, but that is more of a time issue for me to figure it out. I know people have gotten these and other universals to work like OEM with the switch power or radio power. On my 348 I had to modify/splice the antenna cable. On my mondial I don't recall if I modified the antenna cable. They do require some modification to install, hence the term universal, but can be made to work.

11. Cadillacbart

Cadillacbart Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    John
    I think the op is saying he doesn't like the look and function of a metal mast antennae, and is looking for something functional that doesn't look like oem, or doesn't show at all.

12. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    I replaced the original power antenna in my 85 Coupe, with a replacement that I bought for $65 at a local autozone.

It was a generic brand, but it looked identical to the original, and was a direct fit replacement.

As for auto-up and auto-down with radio power-- a previous owner has modified my car so that the antenna does not operate by the console switch. It is instead wired directly to a line coming from the back of the radio (the antenna line). When radio power goes on -- the antenna goes up. When radio power goes off -- antenna goes down. The console antenna switch does nothing.

Sid

13. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    My QV is the same way. I've reassigned the console antenna switch to activate my garage door opener.

14. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Same on mine.