Radio Controlled B-52 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Radio Controlled B-52

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by beast, May 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

fivebob....

WOW !!! Thanks for posting those videos !! Way too cool.......!! Very scale looking flight patterns as well........and the sound and engine exhaust is so much like the real thing. Unreal.

FWIW....upon closer examination of the tail gunners position which has 4 x .50 caliber machine guns...when combined with the short tail fin makes this a B-52G model. They were all sent to the boneyard at Davis Monthan AFB in 1993-94. The "H" had a single 20mm Vulcan barrel.

Rob328gts.....

Peters has good advice.....ARF planes have stable characteristics and in most cases the wing (which is probably foam core) is held on with large elastic bands so that upon crashing (which you will do a lot) it breaks away and results in little or no damage to the craft.

2. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Thats it! Are these hard to fly? Should a beginner buy one?

3. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Peter, thanks. Sent you PM.

Jim, I don't think it will be good for beginners, UNLESS you
    have spent a lot of time on a flight simulator. They're easy to fly for those who have some experience. These planes are crash-resistant and have been copied by different companies.

Ron

4. jhl1963

jhl1963 Karting

Jan 1, 2004
    Long time modeler here - easily the Ferrari of R/C aircraft are Bob Violet Models (www.bvmjets.com) super impressive engineering and performance, and of course price. Bob is a great guy. Any modeler worth their #11 xacto has to appreciate the precision of parts fit in his kits.

I reccomend joining your local club (your closest hobby shop should be able to direct you there) and getting a nice 40 size high wing trainer to start - a good instructor is key to being successful. And as new modelers remember Tower Hobbies is great, but when you need a $3 piece of balsa to fly this weekend or some tech advice they can be invaluable - support your local hobby store!

good luck,
    Jordan

5. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Ron, does that plane of yours use a turbine or a fucted fan?
    My friend and i are planning on building a model of a 7E7 this winter and we are planning on using ducted fans beacuse they are an order of magnitude cheaper than turbines. Right now we want to make the wingspan about 7-10 feet, so its going to be BIG. I personally have never flown an RC plane for real (only in a sim where the TX hooks up to a computer), but my friend has extensive experience flying r/c helis and planes (he maintains real airliners every day).

6. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Ron

Hi Tim. Mine uses ducted fans and they're actually electric
    (10 cells or 12v+, 2 neodyme motors in parallel drawing
    40 amps total, generating 40oz of thrust; plane weighs about 4.5 lbs).

Now, 7-10 feet wingspan is BIG!! These days, anything glow/gas can be flown electric (yeah, that's right!) because of the advent of brushless DC motors, high capacity Nickel metal hydride and Lithium polymer cells, very efficient fan units
    from Germany, etc., but giant scale is beyond my realm. I know a guy from England who built
    a HUGE scale B-52 powered with eight of the same power unit I used above. If you are really serious, I can refer you to him and a website (similar to Fchat) that can really help you with an electric giant scale project.

If you opt glow, check out www.bvmjets.com. This company pioneered glow/gas ducted fan jets.
    Hope the above helped.

Ron

7. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Is anybody making actual minature turbine engines for aircraft? I ran across some bizarre websites where some brave guys were turning automotive turbochargers into gas turbine engines by feeding fuel into them. It must take alot of guts to stand within a hundred yards of something like that turning at 100,000 rpm. One microscopic imbalance and instant high speed schrapnel.

8. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Yes, there are companies (AMT, Simjet, Baird, Jetcat, etc.)in Europe and in the US that make and sell them commercially. Price starts at around $3000 for a unit (that produces 15-20 lbs of thrust at 100-110K). There are individuals who power their jets w/ home-made ones...not from automotive turbochargers though that I know.

9. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Rob,

Like peter said get a copy of Real Flight G2 and practice on it for a while. The trainer i learned on was a Sig kadet Sr... In fact i still have the same plane in my hanger right now and am thinking of putting a digital camera in it and go take some aerial photos of the desert this weekend :)

It is a rugged, stable, and slow flying plane. in fact you have to fly it onto the ground when you land because it will just float for ever if you let it.

If you want when you get to Indy we can go do a little hobby shopping in Indy on friday or Saturday.

Rob "The Other Rob" Guess

10. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Most of the Home built turbine engines are based off of the compressor turbine of a Kawasaki GPZ 750 turbo unit. The first home built one was the KJ-66 i believe. I just love the way they sound when the spool up ;)

11. lionsfan54

lionsfan54 Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    The white paint and curtains in the cockpit were attempts to protect the plane and the crew from a nearby (somewhat) explosion of an atomic weapon.

12. Prova7

Prova7 Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    DamonB
    Back when I was in college I ventured out to Anderson, Texas for what was apparently a world class ducted fan fly in. I'm familiar with r/c but these things were mostly original projects and IMPRESSIVE. People were there from all over the world. My favorite that day was a B-58 Hustler; don't recall the scale but it was about 8' long. This was over 10 years ago; turbines were only in a handfull of planes in the world.

There were also attempts at breaking the world speed record for fans. Scratchbuilt hotrod ducted fan models; it doesn't get better than that! IIRC the timing lights were about 20 feet above the ground so standard practice was to climb to a thousand plus feet and then power dive straight down with the throttle wide open, pulling out to make a screaming pass through the lights that were so close to the ground. Nobody crashed and the record was in excess of 200mph at the time IIRC.

The crash truck was a four wheeler pulling a trailer. It was heartbreaking to see some of those gorgeous models come back in it.

13. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    My friend originally thought he wanted to go tiwh t 4 ft wingspan, then he thought it would be better to go with somewhee around 8, wihch i am averse to. We will probably settle on somewhere around 6ft.
    As for RC gas turbines, my friend sent me a link to a page where someone is building a high bypass turbine (turbofan).

14. Chelle

Chelle Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    N. burbs of Chicago
    Full Name:
    Michelle
    #39 Chelle, May 28, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    wow - that B-52 is amazing... I came across this scratch built C-130 a few years ago online... the builder made it as a scaled down copy of the one he flies for work : )
    http://www.spectrumwd.com/c130/articles/rc.htm
    C-130 Specs:
    Wing span 141 inches(added a little for insurance)
    Height 38 inches
    Length 97 inches
    Weight 43 Lbs.
    Power 4 Saito .91 4 cycle engines
    Controlled with 17 servos 2 receivers
    here's a pic of it on the ground next to it's big brother and a great one in front of a hanger... makes it look real : )

Yellow aircraft makes some impressive large scale jets as well..
    their FA-18 is almost 100" long and has twin ducted fans
    http://www.yellowaircraft.com/
    Chelle
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
    Hi Guys,

I learned on a Sig Kadet Jr too, but enjoyed soaring more - a Gentle Lady or Aspire is a great way to learn too. These have less energy (and money) involved, so take the abuse of learning well. There are foamy gliders now which are truly indestructable (ask me how I know!), which are a blast to do aerobatics with, if you can find the right hill/wind.

Or you could start with a lightstick too, although the electronics investment is slightly higher than a gas trainer.

Cheers,
    Jon

16. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    Rob let me know if you are interested in the real flight simulator. I have one that I'm not using anymore and would like to get rid of it.

Pat

17. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Hi guy's i built a small gas turbine in 1998,used a garret t3 compressor,bits of steel pipe from breakers yard,diesel injector pipe,power steering fluid to lube it,ignition system was off an old gas cooker,and a 47kg bottle of propane gas,
    old spark plug out of an rx7 id serviced,used a colour tune plug to be able to see in the combustion chamber,
    to start the contraption i switched on the spark and stuck my ear up the exhaust to hear there was a spark,make sure it's de-gased before you do this it will blow your head off,then apply comp air into the compressor,then carfully open the gas valve,get it right and it will self sustian,ive got all this on video and its realy good fun but very dangerus so be carefull,
    total cost about £30,turbo came free,none exchange unit off cutomers car,
    when doing this try different length exhaust pipes/cones to get it to run better,great learning stuff,a jet exhaust is very important part as in a car,
    except with a car a new type of exhaust will benifit from new valve timing figures,fluid mechanics is all good fun,

cheers
    Dale.

18. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Dale, I've always had one question regarding home made turbines like the one you built. I've seen several such projects on the net. They are all very interesting engineering contraptions. But after getting them up and running, has ANYBODY actually USED such a home made turbine to do ANYTHING? I've read alot of talk about using them in various applications, but other that a model aircraft being powered by the thrust of the exhaust, what has anybody actually built that is powered by a home made turbine? Are their any available worm gear boxes that can bring the 100,000 rpm of a turbine down to a usable speed?

19. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
  20. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    It was a pure educational thing,far to heavy for any aircraft,the exhaust thrust is waste gas,the thrust is internal,its a pure balance of gas in the combustion chamber,high velocity gas exits the compressor diffuser-no pressure,then enters the outer part of the comp housing where the gas it then decelerated with a consequent rise in pressure,to make use of the waste exhaust gas you have to inject fuel into it,we know what happens then,as for getting the rpm down to a usable level helicopters do it best,as the gearbox is very big heavy and complex even on a jet ranger,there are model helicopters on the market now with model jet engines but they are not as stuntable as the glow powered heli's,the turbo charger is a very complex piece of apperatus and anybody who thinks that putting this and that inside off somthing else and it goes faster boy they know there math's,

cheers
    Dale.

21. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Good this,posted this web site a while back,best thing to do to an mgb one thinks,is more complex than the daft suspension us brits fitted to the front,

cheers
    Dale.

22. Dr C

Dr C Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2002
    Kansas City
    Full Name:
    Ed

Pat: What kind of a 'real flight simulator'?

Dr C

23. Enzo

Enzo F1 Rookie

Feb 14, 2002
    MinneSOta
    Full Name:
    Pat Pasqualini
    It is the version right before they came out with the USB controller. It requires that you have a joystick port in the back of the PC. (not that big of a deal most still have one). This version has both Heli's and Planes on it.

24. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Got any videos?

25. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    #50 Spasso, Nov 22, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017