Radiopilot does it again - 308 Clock | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Radiopilot does it again - 308 Clock

Discussion in '308/328' started by bzubi, Jan 19, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Nick did a beautiful job restoring your clock, Myles!

2. magnum

magnum Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2008
    Barcelona, Spain
    Full Name:
    Antonio
    Really as new!!!

3. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    Add me as another satisfied customer. Plus, let me add, Nick's customer service is better than most of the "real" companies out there. Get your clocks done here boys.

4. philvecc

philvecc Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Philip Vecchiarelli
    My problem is in the clock "works". When the leads are connected the clock runs, but as soon as the starter is engaged, the voltage drop causes the clock to stop. I left it connected for two days without starting the car and it kept perfect time. But start the car and the clock stops. Ran a lead direct from the battery, same problem.
    Anyone have any experience with this kind of problem?
    Thanks.

5. Radiopilot

Radiopilot Karting

Dec 10, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Full Name:
    Nick R.
    Joe... Thanks. :)

6. Radiopilot

Radiopilot Karting

Dec 10, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Full Name:
    Nick R.
    Philip... try using a DVM across the wires and note the voltage drop as you start the car, if it does not change then the problem is with the clock, it may need a new clock motor or the voltage regulator circuit in the clock needs to be replaced. As you mentioned you ran a separate wire to the clock and it stops when you engage the starter, so it's not the wiring in the car causing the problem.

You could send it to me to have a new circuit installed... does the face of the clock say 'quarzo' or 'electronico'?

7. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    #32 BwanaJoe, Mar 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    And I forgot the mandatory picture:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. Radiopilot

Radiopilot Karting

Dec 10, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Full Name:
    Nick R.
    #33 Radiopilot, Mar 9, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
    Joe... that dash panel looks awesome! Well done! The clock now matches the looks of the temp gauge! :)

Nick

9. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    Awesome work! Do you do other instruments as well, or just these clocks? I have some MG gauges that could use a re-do.

10. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    What I didn't notice until the clock went in (and was so clear) is that oil gauge has "stuff" on the inside of the glass. So now I have to remove it, open it up, then clean the inside of the glass! Thanks for the extra work! ;)

11. Radiopilot

Radiopilot Karting

Dec 10, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Full Name:
    Nick R.
    Nathan send me a PM and we'll discuss...

Nick

12. Radiopilot

Radiopilot Karting

Dec 10, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Full Name:
    Nick R.
    It happens a lot, restored clock goes in and the other instruments look dirty. ;)

Nick

13. philvecc

philvecc Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Philip Vecchiarelli
    Nick,
    The DVM check shows that the voltage drops to approx. 9.0-9.5 when the starter is engaged, and the clock immediately stops. It is a "QUARZO".
    If you think you can do something with it let me know.... PM me with shipping info and est. cost and turnaround.
    Thanks for the help.

14. Radiopilot

Radiopilot Karting

Dec 10, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Full Name:
    Nick R.
    Phil,

I sent you a PM.

Nick

15. philvecc

philvecc Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Philip Vecchiarelli
    Nick, great job on my clock. Looks and runs great. I appreciate not only the cosmetics, but you got to the real cause (the internal voltage regulator?) and fixed the problem.
    Incidently, I touted your work at the CT Gathering yesterday (see the New England thread), and I suspect you'll be getting a request or two to help others out as well.
    Thanks again.

16. CarreraScott

CarreraScott Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Is removing the clock a no-brainer? I haven't tried, but thought I'd ask pre-emptively. (1980 308 gtsi here)

17. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    If it tkaes more than 3 minutes (to include drinking the manditory "Pre-wrenching" beer) you are doing something VERY wrong.

18. Papa G

Papa G Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    #43 Papa G, Apr 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I promised Radiopilot a pic awhile ago. I finally was able to take the pic. My clock worked fine, it just needed a setting knob. Fantastic job!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Yea it took a minute or two at most once I got the center console off (which took 2 minutes including a break).

Got my clock back from Radiopilot but its still in the box -- will post pics once I get it back in (this week I'm sure).

20. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    #45 MBFerrari, Apr 11, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
    Perhaps, but with mine that was TOTALLY not true. It SHOULD be that easy...BUT it took mesoscale and I two hours to get it mine out to send to him. The screws on the face were useless, and we had to remove the entire center console from the floor, and even after we got the center console up it still didn't want to budge.

Now I will admit that most of what happened is just Matt Brown luck. I can't EVER have anything that is supposed to be easy actually BE easy, but just beware, it may not be just as easy as pulling two screws out.

Same can be said for the thread we have going on my "308" and "QV" logos on the back, but due to some fellow Fchatters we are just about done installing them back in after hours of labor as well.

All said and done the clock looks and runs great, and RadioPilot is THE MAN!!! He does exceptional work - anyone who needs this done should use him!!!!

MB

21. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Well this post got me motivated and I just put the clock in. Pics later, but now my other gauges look old, since the clock looks and runs brand new now!! Had to go take the 308 for a 30 minute country road run, just to make sure the clock was installed right. ;) Took my 8 year old son with me, he was grinning the whole time.

22. Radiopilot

Radiopilot Karting

Dec 10, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Full Name:
    Nick R.
    Papa G,

Thanks for posting the pic... looks great!

Nick

23. Radiopilot

Radiopilot Karting

Dec 10, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Full Name:
    Nick R.

Glad everything went fine and the newly restored clock will run for many years without a hiccup. ;)

Happens a lot... I'm having to clean all the gauges on a Pantera because the 'restored clock' now makes the rest of the gauges look dull and dirty.

Nick

24. CarreraScott

Jan 30, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Is it your Pantera? Pics please. I'm in lust with those right now...

25. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    MB,

Did you figure out why it was so jammed up?

I have never heard of such a thing. What was it hung-up on?

mwr