Ralph Lauren Cars Exhibition in Paris | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ralph Lauren Cars Exhibition in Paris

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by MalibuGuy, May 5, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I'm not sure, but I know some of them have been locked away for awhile....Autoweek covered the legal importation probelm.

Some owners were hoping they wouldn't noticed all the extra louvers vs. the 911...

2. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    We had a 288GTO "in the showroom" here when new, like it was "just another Ferrari"......

I think Mr. Risi actually kept it.....

Probably some interesting paperwork in that, too....

Not to derail the thread, I just thought that might apply to his 959.....

3. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    While rare I know of a couple of 959s that are kept up here.

4. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You can have anything you want "in the barn"....it's when they catch them out rolling the fun starts!!!

The State checks in pretty regularly about my "Lawn Art"....:D

5. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I thought Show or Display made a car exempt from DOT regulations, but still had to meet EPA. That's just Federal. The State dmv could enforce more like in California whereas states like mine (FL) couldn't care less.

Once a car hits 25 years of age, it can be imported without having to meet any Federal DOT/EPA requirements iirc...

6. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I remember seeing a brand new 288GTO in the Ferrari of Houston Dealership!

And I remember that the folks there were nice to me even though I was just a kid excited about seeing the cars and not a real customer! The sales manager even tried to give me some pointers on how to buy a Ferrari for when I got older, I mean more successful!

Cool!

7. AxerJk

AxerJk Formula 3

Jan 28, 2009
    Livonia, MI
    Full Name:
    Chris Ashworth
    I love the people like that, I was at a dealership once with my mom and grandmother. They had a used Testarossa there and I was drooling over it. I was probably about 10, and the woman working there let me sit in it. I was in heaven!

Chris

8. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Just one? :D

9. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Red with black leather Daytona style seats. It was brand new and for sale. For the life of me I wondered who could afford such a car. I recall the window sticker price was around $87,000 dollars! I thought it was the coolest car I had ever seen.

10. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #60 BigTex, May 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It was indeed $87K.....

(back to Thread)

R.L. had this one, but I believe he sold it not long after this shot from the 2004 FFQC in New Orleans,..here he is, just ahead of my #22641.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    #61 MalibuGuy, May 12, 2011
    Last edited: May 12, 2011
    Fantastic photo! Are you still in Houston? It was a little too hot and humid for me so I settled in So Cal. I recall the Sales Manager at the time of 288GTO was driving a red 328 GTS. He parked in the choice spot near his office and had a matching tan colored brief case. You could see the car from his office. I remember he told me that buying a Ferrari was like finding a girl. "Get it wrong and it could really sting you." Was a little too young to understand what that meant but I thought his job had all the perks!

12. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks.....that was a fun event (FoH sponsored and brought some cars)..

Yep, still here......(but 'going back to Austin, some day').....it's been a good run.
    Not many divorcees with kids get to 'collect Ferraris'.....:D :D :D

So Cal would have indeed been nicer weather, but you DO have earthquakes!!

We need some more pics from Paris in here......:D :D :D

13. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Not sure if it's the same guy (in fact I know it's not) but the lead salesman at the new location of FoH does indeed drive a very nice 328GTS.

We talk about women, too!

The more things change.......

14. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Not the Sunday we were there, as it was France's version of Labor day on that particular Sunday. Heartbreaking! Almost everything was closed that day

15. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    I will try to take as many pics as I can! Will upload to FChat asap sometime in 2 weeks!

16. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Please do! Also, hit the Rembrandt exhibition at the Louvre as it should still be there while you are there. It is spectacular.

17. Olinto Morolli

Olinto Morolli Karting

Jan 19, 2011
    Spain
    Very nice the LM. It wear the look of Scuderia Veloce.sn 6321. Jackie Stewart race and win with her in 12H of Surfers Paradise 1966.

Regards

18. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Went to the exhibition last night! I was joined by another FChatter who is Parisisn, his son, and a friend who is a not an auto affectionado. First of all the Museum is a very grand place with fantastic French architecture. The ceiling must be 50 feet tall.

The first car you see is the Bugatti Atlantic. Deep black with riveted coachwork, it is simply a sculptural piece of automotive art.

Next you ascend the marble stairs to the main hall. Here you find the Black Mercedes Ssk side by side with the dark green Bentley Blower. Next are the the 2 Alfa's: the 2300 Monza with the Ferrari Shield painted on the coachwork and the 2900 Mille Miglia, both cars in red.

The black bugatti 59 grand prix car follows which seems much more compact compared to the long Alfa Mille Miglia.

The Jaguar XKD and the Ferrari 375 plus and Porsche 550 come next. The Ferrari is simply stunning.

After these come the legendary 250 Ferraris: The GTO, the Testa Rossa with pontoon fenders, and the LM. All three are red.

On either side of the hall are smaller rooms with more cars such as McLaren F1, Jaguar XKSS, 300 gullwing, jag xk120, and Ferrari 250 GT B swb. The jag xkss had a beautiful light metallic green paint which seemed to perfectly compliment the design.

Which car would you want to go home with?

The parisian FChatter decided on the 250 GTO even before seeing the show. His teenage son loved the more modern McLaren F1 in orange.

My friend who didnt care a whit about cars before the show began to appreciate them. She pointed out to me that the reaction of the people was more intense and emotional that you see when people see a painting or sculpture.

A middle aged fully grown man in his suit and brief case who must of stopped in after his work, kept saying " mon dieu, mon dieu!" quite loudly while bumping into other people as he stood up then crouching down to the floor to see the undercarriage made her point. Anyway she wanted the Mercedes Benz "Count Trossi". She thought the fenders looked like a spaceship from some childhood book.

And my choice was the 1958 250 TR. In red of course.

19. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    Were you allowed to take pictures?

20. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Malheuresment Non. Le photo est interdit!
    Unfortunately no photos allowed.

21. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Glad you made it to the show! I am kicking myself for not hitting it the Saturday we were there.......

22. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Sorry But you can always buy the books. One is called something like Beauty style and speed and then this one L'art de l'automobile.

23. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    250LM for me, in Mecum blue.....(if I am 'picking colors" as Ralph did)

24. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
  25. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno