Ralph Lauren Cars Exhibition in Paris | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Ralph Lauren Cars Exhibition in Paris

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by MalibuGuy, May 5, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    #76 Need4Spd, May 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    That is certainly a valid point of view. On the other hand, who's to say that Lauren isn't adding to the history of the cars as future historians look back?

As luck would have it, I was in Paris a few weeks ago but didn't find out about the exhibit until the night just before I had to leave, so of course I missed it entirely! Thanks to those above who posted.

Tradition. McLaren racing cars were always orange.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. David Hudson

David Hudson Karting

Jan 20, 2008
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    David Hudson
    I apologize if this is a repost, but here is a link to an RL site with some comments about the cars.

http://entertainment.ralphlauren.com/magazine/editorial/su11/rlcarcollection.asp?ab=int_041811_RLMAG_BODY_RLCARSHOW_READNOW

And here are RLs brief thoughts from the article regarding restoration: "The most important thing about restoration is to go to the experts—the people that really know. There are different experts for Ferrari, for Mercedes, for Mercedes Gullwings, for Bugattis. You look for authenticity. All my cars have been restored because I never wanted to get stuck on the road. Restoration, to me, is all about quality and restoring a car to as it was with all the original details. I am not a restorer, so early on I was lucky enough to find Paul Russell, a car historian and restorer from Boston who has worked with me for over twenty years. Restoration is a sensitive job. For me, there's no cheating in the process. Once we restored a 2.9 Alfa Romeo with so much care and so much detail. The original color, a bright red, was found after uncovering five layers of paint. When the car was shown some people thought the color was so bright it couldn't be right. Though I would have preferred a darker red because it looked older, I respected the restorer's decision and commitment to the car's authenticity and history. Designing a car and designing a fashion collection both require a certain craft and vision, but they are totally different. Though I know what I love in a car, I would never consider myself a car designer. Choosing the color for a car is not designing a car. I have tremendous respect for those that do it. They live their career like I live mine. When I was growing up I would look at a Bentley or an old Mercedes and say, "Wow, that car is so beautiful. Look at the leather interior, the burl-wood dashboard." Then, comes along a Porsche that is totally spare and minimal. And you might ask, "Which one is more beautiful?" I would make a case for either. I don't think I would ever have conceived of the Porsche or the Bentley. But I might have conceived of how to make them the most beautiful Porsche or Bentley."

Best to all, David

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I was offered a private tour with 3 other friends.

4. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    Saw the exhibit when I was in Paris en route to Monaco for the GP. Very worthwhile but, as expected, no photos allowed.
    There were also several video loops running in adjacent rooms, all of which were fun. Must've spent 2.5 hours or more there looking at 17 cars. If you'll be in Paris during the exhibit, don't miss it.

5. Sports Car Digest

May 1, 2010
    #80 Sports Car Digest, Jun 3, 2011
  6. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Great photos! Post a few more please!

7. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Does the museum allow the general public to take photos??

8. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    No.

9. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    That 250 TR with pontoon fenders is sublime.

10. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    #85 MalibuGuy, Jun 5, 2011
  11. funkstar

funkstar Karting

Aug 11, 2009
    #86 funkstar, Jun 6, 2011
  12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks for that link!

And it looks like there is a publication of this exhibit, similar to Boston's Speed, Style and Beauty.

13. clm412

clm412 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    CM
    Are any other members planning on visiting on either the 10th, 11th, or 12th(of June) that would like to meet up? I am in town from New York and think it would be nice to meet up with a fellow enthusiast for a visit.
    I saw the collection in Boston when I was only 15 and am very excited to almost "re-live" one of my fondest car-related memories of my childhood.

14. cb804

cb804 Karting

May 8, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Carmen B.
  15. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    I was in Paris and visited the exhibit about three weeks ago. Very nicely done. While I share the opinion that RL's cars are generally "over-restored" and some of the history is lost in that process, they're his to do with as he so pleases. And, it's a wonderful thing that he shares with the public. However, it's not really an altruism. He's doing it to promote the business and has admitted as much in press. I'm sure for most people, that's irrelevant, though. The WSJ article I read prior chatted him up as a real "driver". For those who know, he's not (which he's also stated in the press). Again, this doesn't really take anything away from the cars themselves, but it's either a bit of an ego stroke or a little bit of marketing spin. Either way, it's not as authentic as it might otherwise be.

Regardless, it's a wonderful, if simple, exhibit and well worth a visit, if possible. And, RL should be applauded for making his cars available to be seen at all.

CW

16. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    #91 RP, Jun 10, 2011
    I was able to attend the show just a few days after it opened while on my honeymoon. Considering this museum is attached to the Louvre where you are allowed to take photos, it was disappointing photos were not allowed at the RL exhibition. They were trying to sell a book, all I could find was a French version. The book was about the cars, not the actual exhibit, so the book was of no interest to me. They did give out some free brochures in English and in French.

Needless to say, the setting was spectacular. So even if you experienced the exhibit in Boston, it would be worth the time in Paris. I believe it is open most everyday, excepting May 1 where nothing happens in Paris.

The cars were absolutely beautiful, although nothing close to original. Almost like 1/1 scale models. They were never that perfect when new. For this show, this was great. From a historical standpoint, the cars were overdone. The exhibit was promoted all over the city, Ralph even made an appearance that first week. Photos below are of the museum front, the exhibit poster, and some general sights of Paris.

Tickets can be bought on-line in advance. If at all possible, spend a few extra days and go to Mulhouse, France, for the best auto museum of all.

Hard to miss the number of 458s and Gallardos in Paris. Also dozens of flat black cars from Mini Coopers to large MBs, a repeat from a fad in the 1960s. Plus one polished aluminum Maserati (photo second from the bottom on the Cd'Els). Citroen and Peugeot showrooms on the Champs d'Elysee right around the corner from our apartment.

17. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    NOTE: If you're planning to go, the museum is closed on Mondays.

18. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    #93 bitzman, Jun 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
    CornersWell forum member says "However, it's not really an altruism. He's doing it to promote the business and has admitted as much in press. I'm sure for most people, that's irrelevant, though. The WSJ article I read prior chatted him up as a real "driver". For those who know, he's not (which he's also stated in the press). Again, this doesn't really take anything away from the cars themselves, but it's either a bit of an ego stroke or a little bit of marketing spin. Either way, it's not as authentic as it might otherwise be."

Now my opinion: I think , considering how long he has owned the cars (some for decades) he has been remarkably circumspect in tying them in with his products. Even the Bugattis and such are used very seldom--maybe you see a fender here, a headlight there. He could probably write these cars off if he used them heavily as props in ads, but prefers to do exactly what he is doing, enjoying the cars (I saw pictures of him driving his Bugatti Veyron in Colorado near his ranch) and letting it be known in interviews that they are one of his grand passions, the same way he lets people know he owns a ranch in Telluride (but when I saw the hour-long interview by Oprah at the Ranch I don't recall them mentioning the RL ranchwear). In the pictures of the Paris exhibit the only "promotional" thing I saw was the 10-ft. tall picture of him but I don't recall the picture saying Polo or tying in with his other brands. (Still, do others exhibiting their objects d'art get a 10-ft. tall picture of themselves with their exhibit? )

Anyway, his owning of these outstandingly great carsdid me some good. It was soon after seeing the picture of him driving his Testa Rossa pontoon fender car wearing a casual leather jacket and a baseball cap that the thought occured to me"You know, I've seen 427 Cobra owners looking like that and I oughta do a book that captures that feeling--that 'I don't care what I'm wearing, I'm gonna enjoy the drive' look (even if in his case it was a $5 million car at the time). I wrote the book, sold 5000 copies so far and two movie producers have announced they will be basing a miniseries on the LeMans part of it. So, if I ever meet Ralph again (met him at Pebble when he was showing the Bugatti) I'll thank him for driving around that TR lookin' like a guy who just wants to have fun....

19. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Above all else, RL is a very successful and, likely, shrewd businessman. I'm not so cynical to say that he's done this solely to promote his business, though. His interest in cars goes back a LONG way, and I do think he genuinely enjoys them. But, of course, there are different kinds of enjoyment. He's more of a concours type than a racer or driver. Again, nothing wrong in that at all, but does the truth take anything away from that smoke-blowing marketing story? In the end, most of these cars aren't driven that much, if at all. But, hey, they're HIS cars, and I have no right to tell him how he should or shouldn't use them.

Regarding the promotional aspects of it, I agree that his vehicles take a supporting role in the ad copy. They've also given him "inspiration" in his designs, he says. All good. And, you're correct that there're no banners or overt signs of the business at the exhibit. That said, the Louvre's gift shop is FULL of RL-branded tchotchkes. And, the books are in all his Paris stores. Even the hotel gave us free passes to the exhibit and a discount coupon for use on merchandise in the stores. Again, all good. The merchandise is tasteful, and I bought a couple of the books for gifts. Just saying that he doesn't miss an opportunity to drive some revenue out of this.

I can only wish that I had his collection, but I'd REALLY love to see him bring them out to (or have them driven at) events like Legends of Motorsports. That's befitting. He never expressed any interest in the Historic Challenge, and to the best of my knowledge he has no interest in actually driving them harder than a quick jaunt around the block. BTW, there is precedent to have a professional driver when the owner doesn't want to drive them, so it's not like he MUST risk his own neck if he doesn't want to.

CW

20. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    That brings up a different question, are the cars owned by him personally or tied into the corporation? RL is a listed company after all...

21. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    Not sure, but I would expect that they're owned personally through a corporation, given the size, nature and value of the collection. At least, that's what I would do for tax and limited liability purposes.

CW

22. Miura Jota

Miura Jota F1 Rookie

May 26, 2004
    Toluca , Mexico
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I heard he just added a Reventon Roadster to his collection ... :rolleyes:

23. Samimi

Samimi Formula 3

Oct 17, 2005
    North of the 49th
    Full Name:
    S.
    Who's the girl on the left and what model is the Citroen rally car?