Ralph Lauren's Garage - Vanity Fair | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ralph Lauren's Garage - Vanity Fair

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by elmoore, Jan 4, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. David Hudson

David Hudson Karting

Jan 20, 2008
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    David Hudson
    #51 David Hudson, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
    Those cars are amazing!

Let's face it, if RL was letting the paint fall off of them and leaving them untouched (call it patina for the believers) ... many would be calling for his head on a platter. RL can't win in his situation. He loves his cars and has compared them to children, in the sense he wouldn't sell them at any price.

Additionally, RL has a unique, classical american style (that I wouldn't call "flash" or "sexy"), a philanthropic nature (he has given away, many times what he spent on the cars) and a superlative understanding and appreciation of great cars and their history. Who cares about how or what he paints them?

With the time it would take to maintain so many beautiful things, it's amazing RL has time to manage his conglomerate and maintain his family obligations, much less drive & show the cars and attend gatherings of owners. Can you imaging attending events relative to 20+ cars every 5 years?

Renaissance man, period.

Best, David

2. David Hudson

David Hudson Karting

Jan 20, 2008
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    David Hudson
    Exactly!! Not sexy or flashy.... LOL.....why not post his bloody woody wagon while you're at it!!

3. davidgoerndt

davidgoerndt Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    David Goerndt
    His GTO was on display at a past Cavallino, sans paint, and a few parts.

4. Cris

Cris Karting

Jul 27, 2004
    Vermont
  5. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    When his cars have been on display it has often seen as a courtesy to the restorer. Letting him show off his work before the cars go to Long Island.

6. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Before he moved his cars to Westchester, we used to be able to catch glimpses of some of them at his place on Old Montauk Highway on Long Island. They were on the north side of the road, across the road from the ocean side, not too far from Gurney's, and you sometimes could see one or two out in front of the garage if you knew where to look.

I might even have a picture or two (not digital) stored away in a box somewhere.

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    His 288GTO was at the 2004 Ferrari French Quarter Classic in New Orleans....I stood behind him for drinks and knew he looked 'vaguely familiar".....LOL!

8. Santiago Montenegro

Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2009
    Caracas
    I kinda like the woody wagon.

9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Everybody needs one (I'm sure he has a place on the beach)

Huge collection of them was broken up last year......

10. jhietter

jhietter Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    John
    Not to detract from RL but he also has a full time team of 4 employees just for his cars. One of them is responsible just for creating files or archives on each car. RL does participate in restoring and showing his cars but he definitely doesn't do it all on his own, he has a lot of help.

11. David Hudson

David Hudson Karting

Jan 20, 2008
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    David Hudson
    Agree with you John. RL is a custodian & decision maker that pays the bills. Every time his collection is brought up, there are comments regarding over-restoration discussed on this forum. For the experts here, did RL really mess up the GTO/TR/LM/et al? If so, what did he do that cannot be undone? I doubt that RL is the type to throw away valuable art, but I am willing to listen & learn from opinions & facts discussed here. Interesting subject matter, for sure. Thanks, David

Couldn't resist Big Tex : ) RL agrees with you: Everyone needs a "perfect" woody to impress!! Best, David

12. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #62 BigTex, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That 10' 6" Velzy just wouldn't look the same, on a current Mercedes station wagon.....:D :D :D

14. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    But even many McLaren F1s have been repainted in new colours, or had LM kits fitted, or many other customizations to their owner's desire... What point would one restore an F1 to in, say, 40 years?

My guess is most would either do what ever they preferred with it, or return it to as-new condition... what's the difference with RL's cars?

15. Onebugatti

Onebugatti Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2008
    Centre Europe
    Full Name:
    Christopher

Want to know when the smoke clears what the real world is??

view and weep.

Bravo Hugh - you got it right without the pony.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEa0YR03OIs[/ame]

16. cove26

cove26 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2007
    CT
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #66 cove26, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    any pix of ralphs garage?

18. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    Apart from Hugh,who obviously got IT right,I,m so glad to see the youngish presenter
    so enthusiastic.

19. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    That "youngish presenter" is none other than Leigh Keno, a true collector and enthusiast!

20. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I'm not sure how his expertise in antique furniture translates to the world of collector cars.
    In his world refinishing can cut an object's value in half. As can any replacement parts.

21. Cornbread

Cornbread Formula Junior

Mar 21, 2009
    Bham/Maple Valley WA
    He has been into and collected cars his whole life.

Both he and his brother are very knowledgeable enthusiasts.

22. richardowen

richardowen Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    I think Ralph's high level of fit and finish suits his brand/lifestyle/museum quite well, but it's the character of a car that shows it age which is much more interesting to look at.

Would you rather see an original interior as fitted by Scaglietti, or some modern interpretation?

23. Onebugatti

Onebugatti Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2008
    Centre Europe
    Full Name:
    Christopher

Ralph is not the only person out there applying ego and business into a theme of character assassination of important cars in their collection. I met him many decades ago when he painted his GULLWING gold and installed a 5 speed in it - I cringed but it's just a personal choice, not a reflection of bad or good. He really has some fine cars carefully assembled and chosen with great care. That's a good thing. His collection does have a formula of despite all the red and black paint jobs. Paul Russell is a master perfectionist and he saw that all the work was to Ralph's level , far above the original level of correctness. Slowly that is changing and collectors are being aware of their custodian role , which commands more respect as it's void of the ego of the collector. I just have one question - does he get oil on his socks and if he does, does he grin at it ?

24. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I did not know that.

25. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I'm on record here as someone who strongly favors a patinated car over a recreated one.
    I do think that Ralph's getting piled on here unfairly though. The high profile of both him and his cars makes him the Poster Boy for a lot of other collectors' abuses. Some of the complaints seem to be a bit too "personal" for my taste.