Rank The Ferrari Supercars | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Rank The Ferrari Supercars

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Rossocorsa1, Jun 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F40 LeMans

F40 LeMans Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2009
    #76 F40 LeMans, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017
    +1

The guy missed the fact to be the closest thing to be a Group B car, maybe the most exciting era for driving experiences.

Don't worry. That's an indication of the level, here.

2. Craigy

Craigy Formula 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Louisiana
    Full Name:
    Craigy
    F50
    LF
    Enzo
    F40

3. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    No, the topic is to rank the cars according to one's own preference.

4. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    It's primary mission was the be the fastest car around. It was never meant as a race car, unlike the 288.

5. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Different people like different things. By the way, Group B Racind died before it was even born. The 288 was intended for that series. The F40 just used the tech in order to make some cash out the whole investment. Ferrari never raced it officially. The F50 was meant to spawn a race version, but that project never took off either.

Always nice to have self-proclaimed experts amongst us dummies though! :D

At the end of the day I thought we were discussing road cars and how much we like them. For me the actual driving is the most important thing, not the mystique, nor the racing pedigree (or lack of).

6. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    #81 Booker, Jun 13, 2017
    1. Enzo
    2. 288 GTO
    3. La Ferrari
    4. F50
    5. F40

I think the F40 is least exciting of all the halo cars. Watching an F50 go around a track is much more thrilling, even tho it is uglier when parked. The 288 is the best looking and beginning of this line of history. Enzo is tribute to the man himself, and it is worthy of the great name. The Laf is incredible by every measure, but hasn't aged yet. I admit that the F40 is probably the best to drive, but I just think as far as looks and sounds go, it is underwhelming.

7. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    We are all at least a bit expert of those cars: there aren't children here, we are all Ferrari enthusiasts and Ferrari owners, we all saw and touched all the cars we are talking about or we even had or have them.

This said, I understand you prefer the newest car: ok, that's right, who says anything. But you cannot dispreciate a materpiece like the F40, you cannot go on saying that it was built just for top speed, you cannot say that it hadn't brakes and so on. Sorry but those are not an opinions: they are just wrong things.

I prefer the 288 GTO, as it's the nicest (in my opinion), the first and the rarest of them all. This is a preference, no more and no less: you can prefer what you want, of course, but please don't try to say that the other cars are like *****, because they weren't at all.

I won't reply anymore.

ciao

8. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    #83 REALZEUS, Jun 13, 2017
    Not trying to pick a fight here mate, but in reality the older cars are quantifiably worse; a lot for that matter! I am not saying that people shouldn't like them. All I am saying is that as driving machines they are just dated nowadays. Imagine the turbo lag of the F40 after experiencing the amazing turbocharged engine of the 488, or the brakes of the 288 compared to the anchors of the Enzo. Yes, old cars can be really charming, but when one really presses on, these differences are obvious. In 30 years from now we will be saying the same things about the LaFerrari. Hopefully the internal combustion engine will still be alive and kicking!!! If not, I might like the oldies better by then, even though I would be too old to enjoy them anymore...

9. F40 LeMans

Nov 23, 2009
    #84 F40 LeMans, Jun 13, 2017
    This does not explaining the fact that for some, an older experience to drive will be surely worse or less engaging than modern and perfect one.

A step back. In that specific case the car was built looking at racing rules, even if group B was already dead, the reason why it was so confident later for racing. It will be considered a racing car from the beginning, and it looks like.

10. schao

schao Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2013
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    S Chao
    I like market-based insights, but you're relying on only value/unit measure and ignoring the #units. Some other poster had previously offered this methodology before so I don't claim originality, and I am likely off on current values and car counts, but here goes. Maybe Joe, Marcel, etc. can offer their insights on current values and car counts? Of course personal preferences can and will vary.

Total Value ($bil)= $mm/Unit x #Units

1.75= 3.5x 499 LaFerrari
    1.4= 1.1x 1315 F40
    1.0= 3.5x 284 288
    0.95= 2.5x 380 F50
    0.9= 3.0x 299 Enzo

11. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

1.75= 3.5x 499 LaFerrari
    1.4= 1.1x 1315 F40
    1.2= 3.0x 399 Enzo
    1.0= 3.5x 284 288
    0.95= 2.5x 380 F50

Fixed it. 399 Enzos vs 299 as you wrote. Im not sure 3m is the avg market value for an Enzo though.

12. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    If you want to play the race rules card, the F50 was more of a race car. Full carbon tub, a V12 derived from the one in the 333 which was also a stressed part, non-assisted brakes etc etc etc. Still, all these don't mean anything at the end of the day. The Enzo has the fabled pushrod suspension, the LaFerrari doesn't. Now tell me, which of the two turns better and faster?

13. 250P

250P Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2011
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Saw two LaF's today in the West End; both on UK plates, one black, one tdf i think; both sweet!

For looks the 288 & F40 take it for me; kinda ying and yang, but equally appealing.

For the package; the F50.

Next the LaF and lastly the Enzo.

14. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    #89 Caeruleus11, Jun 13, 2017
    Hard to do, I love them all. I would have any of them and the difference between my 1-5 is very small. The supercars that most capture my imagination are those that are focused on driving. But my opinion for whatever that is worth (probably less than $0.02!)

1- F40. For me it is the definition of a supercar. Everything about it is crazy in a good way. Looks very wedge like in photos, but in person you notice there are many little curves and glorious little details. I love the singular focus of the F40. It looks like what it is and that's it. It is the ultimate evolution of what the 288 GTO started. I also love that they only came as red from the factory.

2- F50. Like all cars, looks better in person (even the F40 does). I find the V12 + stick shift to be appealing. I also think it is a more focused car than the newer ones. I saw one in black once and I loved it! And I love the more direct link to F1 than the others.

3- 288 GTO. I think its a beautiful car, but it's styling does not say "supercar" to me. That is hugely appealing to many people. I would love to have one, but the fact that the F40 betters it in every way (in my mind) puts it third on my list. I would like it to have the red seat and dash inserts- even if they do fade, I don't care. I think its a great look! And it has the benefit of being specifically designed for racing (even if it never happened).

4- LaFerrari. Its really close between these last two. I think its a great looking car. Very beautiful. More sinuous than the Enzo. I saw one in Grigio Ferro and I fell in love with it. The technology in the car makes me wonder what it would be like to drive. But the technology will likely become dated when the next supercar arrives.

5- Enzo. I really did not appreciate the Enzo when it first came out. But now, more than a decade later, I think its a fantastic looking supercar. I think its sexy in its brutality. My favorite colors are either Nero or Blu Pozzi. I am sure its a very exciting drive- but I think the technology is overshadowed by the LaFerrari and the driving engagement of the prior cars overshadows the modern ones for me.

15. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

These are all great thoughts. I agree, the difference between all of them is a laser thin margin for me as well. One thing I will say, the sound of the Enzo from the very instant it is started is really remarkable. The thing is just pissed off it it completely roars right at ignition.

16. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    YEP

17. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    F50 was a better built car than the F40. I owned both. still have the F40. Its the more drivers car of the 2.

18. F40 LeMans

Nov 23, 2009
    #93 F40 LeMans, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    At the question of the main mission was top speed, the F40 was built looking at specific rules for racing the Group B, derived directly from the GTO Evoluzione.
    The F50 was a Piero Ferrari idea to built a open top supercar using the highest solutions that comes from F1, that's nice but it was not officially built looking at specific rules at that moment. The F50GT program was looking to built a racing car at the facts according to BPR racing rules.
    At last, cornering performance of a car is not a correlation with driving pleasure in my opinion.
    You can turn faster the corners but it's the connection with the car is what I mean.
    Electronic era gave us a lot of helps, but they are driving disconnections for some people.

19. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    a standard f40 exhaust is unimpressive.
    put a tubi on and it provides aural pleasure.

20. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    F40
    288 GTO
    Enzo
    La Ferrari
    F50

21. F40 LeMans

Nov 23, 2009
    F40
    F50
    LaFerrari
    Enzo
    288 GTO

22. johnvwatts

johnvwatts Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2007
    England
    Full Name:
    John v watts
    Well it came out in 1987. I dont see your point. And yes I have driven one.

23. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Thanks! Much appreciated!

How so? I ask because I think everyone has their own definition of what makes for a drivers car.

So very true.

Excellent insights! Thanks! :)

24. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    RE the F40 and it being a ''bad'' driving car. A few friends of mine are owners/former owners/disappointed test drive after wanting to buy, and their opinions vary greatly.

Poor brakes, doesn't handle nice or as expected and such are frequently used by the guys in the latter group. Won't go into detail as to who they are but they know a thing or two about driving/racing.

My opinion/explanation can only be that many F40 (especially in Europe) haven't been maintained to the highest of standards, so things such as bushings could've been worn out, old brakes, old tires, original tires even, could all have contributed to a poor experience, or certainly not one that lived up to expectations. There's so many factors into it...I was very surprised to hear about their ownership experience and how disappointed they where.

On the other side of the spectrum, there's plenty of owners who adore theirs and have done for years, and have zero interest in selling, and drive theirs often

25. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    RE the F40 and it being a ''bad'' driving car. A few friends of mine are owners/former owners/disappointed test drive after wanting to buy, and their opinions vary greatly.

Poor brakes, doesn't handle nice or as expected and such are frequently used by the guys in the latter group. Won't go into detail as to who they are but they know a thing or two about driving/racing.

My opinion/explanation can only be that many F40 (especially in Europe) haven't been maintained to the highest of standards, so things such as bushings could've been worn out, old brakes, old tires, original tires even, could all have contributed to a poor experience, or certainly not one that lived up to expectations. There's so many factors into it...I was very surprised to hear about their ownership experience and how disappointed they where.

On the other side of the spectrum, there's plenty of owners who adore theirs and have done for years, and have zero interest in selling, and drive theirs often