Rank The Ferrari Supercars | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Rank The Ferrari Supercars

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Rossocorsa1, Jun 10, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    No, it's not like that. The power curve is a more reliable way of judging performance as it is the net output of the engine. Torque at the camshaft though is not translated into motive force per se; it's just a measurement that then gets multiplied by RPM to give the actual power. It took an engineering article about 3 pages to explain it in layman's terms, but that was the conclusion.

2. F40 LeMans

F40 LeMans Formula Junior

Nov 23, 2009
    #177 F40 LeMans, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    Realzeus really look,...I think you read the wrong article because performance are affected by the result of the torque curve to the gearing (and wheels diemeter) ever since. An engine can deliver lots of power being it weaker than another. This is because it is defective of torque and it need to turn faster to build power. But at the fact it's weaker. Now it comes the gearing question, until gearing will not be shorter than the product of torque difference, the weaker engine will be slower. Even it will be the most absolute powerful.

Good luck with your idea.

3. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Every car should have gearing that suits its engine characteristics. A torquey, but not high revving engine with very short gearing will be out of breath all the time, as it will be revved past its best point. The exact oposite will happen to a high strung engine with less torque. At the end of the day it's the stopwatch that judges.

4. F40 LeMans

Nov 23, 2009
    #179 F40 LeMans, Jun 22, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    I agree these points but this does not explain us your earlier lacuna. Or how torque affect mid range rpms. "Every car should have gearing that suits its engine characteristics" it's not the right answer untill you are not making the product of torque numbers in hand.

I will invite you to read the Quattroruote article of September 1996, where every secrets of the torque were examined, looking at a comparo from N/A to turbocharged engines. There is also an example putting in the argument to transfer a Ferrari F50 engine into a Volvo truck FH16 520 and viceversa. It was written in Italian but It was very interesting.

This is because it seems to me that technically you are taking these arguments too light.

Oh yeah, this is your usually conclusion also about feel, at the end of the day it's still the stopwatch....

5. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    So, back to the topic of the thread, how do you two rank the supercars?

6. F40 LeMans

Nov 23, 2009
    As early said:

F40
    F50
    LaFerrari
    Enzo
    288 GTO

7. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

On any given day, this would be my ranking. In other words - they are all amazing.

8. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    You brought performance into the discussion, so yes, the stopwatch is the differentiator. Feel can also have to do with the stopwatch (i.e. the reaction time of the engine), but it's much more than that.

Finally, I believe that Rossocorsa1 was asking other people to weigh in, not for us to reiterate what we have already said.

PS: Even though we may disagree sometimes, I always enjoy our discussions. Cheers :)

9. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    LaF
    F40
    Enzo
    F50

10. F40 LeMans

Nov 23, 2009
    And I'm happy for that but honestly there is a side of you that every time I'm unable to understand. Not questions of preference.

11. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Thinking about this more, I decided to now include the LaFerrari Aperta. I confess, my ranking changes often. I really love them all. This is my revised list:

1 - LaFerrari
    2 - Enzo
    3 - F40
    4 - LaFerrari Aperta
    5 - F50
    6 - 288 GTO

How would your ranking look by including the Aperta?

12. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    To me, it's a Laferrari.

13. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017

Yes, I suppose it can be considered the same, though the Aperta certainly has some unique design distinctions from the coupe.

14. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    After recently spending some time with an an Enzo and a LaFerarri side bu side, I've changed my rankings:

1 - Enzo
    2 - LaFerrari
    3 - F40
    4 - LaFerrari Aperta
    5 - F50
    6 - 288 GTO