Rapid seat wear common? | FerrariChat

Rapid seat wear common?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Surge74, Oct 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Surge74

Surge74 Rookie

Jul 6, 2017
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Surge
    I know there are many reasons for seat bolster wear, but one car I am considering buying has only 7500 miles (reportedly). Car looks great, although the seat bolster is worn.
    Is this common? Perhaps a larger framed driver, and no leather care over the past 25 years?!

2. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    no, it looks like that has a lot more than 7500mls, I would say 5 x more because I have seen seats of 50,000+ mls that look better.

3. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    It's hard to say. These cars originally had a lacquer based leather finish -- similar to a furniture top-coating. Over the years, this lacquer hardens and becomes brittle. From my experience, the original seat dye and finish process was completely crap.

When I refurbed my seats, I had to use lacquer thinner to remove the coating. Underneath, the leather was still nice and soft.

I wouldn't base the car's usage off the seats alone. Look for other indicators -- How's the carpet, the paint? Look at the rubber items (including engine/fuel lines). Is there any rust?

As others will probably recommend - have a PPI done.

Sid

4. Surge74

Surge74 Rookie

Jul 6, 2017
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Surge
    Thanks, appreciate it. The rest of the leather, carpets, floor mats, steering wheel rim look perfect; so it’s the driver’s seat that is oddly scuffed.
    Perhaps a larger framed individual on many short trips and poor original dye..?

5. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Probably working jeans, they can be sorted out fairly cheaply

6. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    Maybe it belonged to an old fat guy like me. No graceful way to get in and out and lots of wear.