Rattling Drivers Exterior Mirror(s) | FerrariChat

Rattling Drivers Exterior Mirror(s)

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Husker316, Mar 20, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker316

Husker316 Rookie

Mar 20, 2010
    Poway, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin Atkins
    #1 Husker316, Mar 20, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
    New Member Here and first post for help. Can anyone provide instructions to tighten driver side exterior mirror, it rattles and is much looser than the passenger side.

Model of Ferrari - F430

Thank You

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #2 tazandjan, Mar 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Kevin- From the parts catalog drawing found on our sponsor Ricambi's web site, it appears the mirror is held on by two machine screws/bolts and a stud with nut. If you remove the speaker cover, you should be able to reach all three fasteners and tighten them, it appears. The driver door being opened and closed more may have loosened those fasteners. If the rattle is internal, a different question.

Welcome to FChat and perhaps one of our pros can add to what I said.

Taz
    Terry Phillips
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Technically, you don't have to remove the door panel. If you don't, it's a royal pain to tighten all of the fasteners. It's much easier to tighten the mirror if you take the door panel off first, especially if you've done it before.

4. Husker316

Husker316 Rookie

Mar 20, 2010
    Poway, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin Atkins
    OK, after some detail inspection the looseness does not come from the base(door mount) the looseness comes from the area that folds. I found three torx head screws under the mirror and found they were tight. Is the mirror defective? My passenger side mirror is perfect.

Again thank you,

5. FLU

FLU Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    Flu
    the 3 screws u found are the culprit. I had the same situation with mine vs the passenger side. remove the screws and try applying some locktight on them before putting them back. It made a huge difference for me.

6. Husker316

Husker316 Rookie

Mar 20, 2010
    Poway, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin Atkins
    I pulled them out, first reaction was these screws are puny. I wonder if I could replace with new ones just a little longer (a few extra threads longer) and stainless steel.

Add locktite and make the solution permanent. Thoughts??

7. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Kevin- If you try longer screws, make sure you fit test before you add the LockTite to ensure they seat fully and are not too long. There are other tricks for fattening up a screw's threads to make them tighter, but not sure I would use them on a Ferrari.

Taz
    Terry Phillips