Raw Food | FerrariChat

Raw Food

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Piper, Jan 31, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Who else is trying to increase the percentage of raw food in your diets? Thing about raw food, it of course still has all enzymes, aminos, vitamins and nutrients, nothing lost. It's easy to get 10-20%, fruit, nuts, etc. Try getting over 50%, starts getting tough. My wife just purchased a dehydrator, is going to learn how to use it. She's just purchased a week of raw food preparations from a vegan about an hour away, lasagna, pizza believe it or not, various items and they're not bad. Not bad at all. And we're hiring a raw food chef to spend a few hours with her teaching how to prepare in our own kitchen. Just one more step toward pain free, tasty and fun right living. I'll take pics of the prepared foods next time. Forgot.

2. billyfitness

billyfitness Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    A couple of handfuls of raw food per day is adequate. I put kale or supergreens in my shake every morning, have nuts in the car, and nibble on a piece of whatever's in the fridge while I'm preparing a meal.

-Billy

3. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    I snack on raw greenbeans, snap peas or carrots. Eat raw nuts between meals if I am feeling hungry. An apple a day as well, and sometimes a banana before or after a workout (depending on how I feel). And I do green juices 5 or 6 times a week.

It does take some doing, but you can definitely add a lot of raw to your diet. Just make sure you are still getting enough calories and protein, especially if you are working out.

4. BubblesQuah

BubblesQuah F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte
  5. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Sounds interesting.

I eat some sort of fruit, vegetable, and/or nuts in some fashion every day.

I'm not going to overkill it though.

6. I.T. Guy

I.T. Guy F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 17, 2004
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Don't forget your meat!
    Too much fruit will make you fat :)
    Protein, some veggies, for meals
    fruit nuts and seeds for snacks
    Sweet potatoes brown rice are ok
    Too much raw is a fad and IMHO not that good for you. Humans were never grazers of raw stuffs.

7. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

almost daily with my VitaMix. good stuff.

8. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    I still juice quite a lot so I get raw food from there. Although I don't drink much due to high calories, I also drink raw milk. Not sure if that counts. :)

GT

9. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Sure, raw milk counts. And if you're using a high speed juicer, that actually may not.

10. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    No high speed juicer. I use an Omega masticating juicer. I'm looking to get a Norwalk as a replacement for it.

GT

11. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
  12. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Good article. Thanks.

13. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Here's another great article--this time on the relative merits of different veggies.

http://www.cspinet.org/nah/01_09/ratings.pdf

I don't think it is included in this article, but there is some interesting reading out their on baby greens versus mature greens, and whether veggies do better stored in the light or in the dark. The answer, from what I recall, is it depends. Certain vitamins degrade with light, but even some cut veggies can apparently continue to make vitamins if exposed to light. This even extends to mild nutritional difference between flat and curly versions of leafy greens (curly versions are more relatively protected from light exposure).

14. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Scotty, thank you. Good reads.