Real California spotted in NY? | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Real California spotted in NY?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by amenasce, Aug 29, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    The registry authorities care little about pedigree. If the paperwork looks right no further questions are asked.
    Which is why it's so important for enthusiast forums to stay on top of things like this.

2. DavidWP

DavidWP Karting

Mar 17, 2004
    Noblesville, Indiana
    Full Name:
    David W Palmeter
    #77 DavidWP, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is amazing! I (David Palmeter) was the above mentioned owner of GTE 4959 (the penultimate GTE) from 1980 to 1995. The window moldings and dash insert were indeed dark gray, indicating that was the original color of the car. I sold it to Alan Holmes of 'The Fine Car Store' for $20,000 on September 25, 1995. After we made the deal, he admitted that he was originally interested in sending it to England to have it converted to a 250GT SWB Coupe. Apparently the conversion costs had increased considerably so he then said he hadn't decided what to do with the car.

When 4959 dropped completely out of sight, I got curious and posted on several Ferrari boards inquiring about its fate. I got a response from 'Neil' on July 20, 2010 that he had owned 4959 for 10 years without, as noted above, the original engine. Now we have apparently found the engine, too. My search is complete but I am left wondering how two cars can be registered with the same Vehicle Indentification Number. What am I missing here?

And, by the way, the attached photo is 4959 on a road trip with a 365 2+2, an alloy GTB and the alloy California SWB 2383, all owned by friends and all of which I have driven, including laps around Road America in the California!

Finally, it is my opinion that one complete and original GTE is more valuable than 10 fake anythings.....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Depending on the system, off course, but the easiest way likely is to use an old title - and fake transfer docs, if they are required.

4. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    thank you for posting, David P!

Mods, I think we can safely move this one to the Replicas bin.

Maybe someday soon the REAL 4959 will make an appearance here.

5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    And will there be a follow up court case?. I'd really be upset if I owned the 4959 that is the GTE and thus real.

Pete

6. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes yes and YES. (By the way thanks for posting that cool photo.)
    John

7. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    Interesting pic! the first i saw of 2383GT in red. can you tell me when and were it was taken?

8. DavidWP

DavidWP Karting

Mar 17, 2004
    Noblesville, Indiana
    Full Name:
    David W Palmeter
    The picture was taken outside the Indianapolis Motor Speedway in about 1984. The owner at that time, Lee Wilson, is a long time friend. I am 95% sure that the car was red when it arrived from Europe in 1967 (I have asked the two friends that restored the car to verify). In a burst of great foresight, we questioned why anyone would pay a low 4-figure price for a clapped out, expensive-to-maintain Ferrari!

9. DavidWP

DavidWP Karting

Mar 17, 2004
    Noblesville, Indiana
    Full Name:
    David W Palmeter
    Just found this on barchetta dot cc history of 2383:

63 - taken to Lugano and repainted from grey met. to red; big Ferrari badge added to fenders