Real or fake: 250 GTO in Rockford Files? | FerrariChat

Real or fake: 250 GTO in Rockford Files?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by JeremyJon, Sep 11, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    #1 JeremyJon, Sep 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. up4speed

up4speed F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 16, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I don't know anything about the older Ferraris, but I am going to guess fake for a number of reasons.
    1. From what I can tell, "genuine" ones cost a huge amount of money. They wouldn't want it exposed to harm on a TV film shoot.
    2. After pulling up photos online, they all have a front grill on them
    3. None of those photos show 2 round holes on the front bumper next to each other. They seem to have round holes inboard, and rectangular holes outboard.
    4. The front center oval seems to be too narrow and too long

Those are the few reasons that I would guess fake, but like I said, I have no idea what a "proper" 250 GTO looks like.

3. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    In 1974 they were just old race cars and values were hundreds (literally) of times less than today, even adjusted for inflation.

Considering this I see no reason why the show would have any problem with removing a grill or similar if it made sense for the scene. Likewise I doubt anyone at that time could have anticipated these cars would be worth millions a generation later, and wouldn't have thought of building a replica.

Several GTOs were "customized" by armcos and other off-road excursions. Given their hand-built nature it would make sense that repairs might not have been completely authentic back in the day. Even if all of them today are a perfect representation of what they were like when first raced, by 1974 some had passed through several owners who did what they could to keep the cars on the road.

My vote is real.

If we find out the real story my guess is that it belonged to some friend of James Garner and they borrowed it for the day.

4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I dont think they made fake GTOs until the mid 80s so i would say real.

5. jimlt4383

jimlt4383 Karting

Sep 1, 2006
    Real GTO 3987gt. The nose has been corrected .

6. Jedi

Jedi Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Amazing.... REALLY?? Wow.... loved that show as a kid and saw every episode "in real time"

Jedi

7. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    that's very specific, cool!
    i'd be interested to know more, or more story about it, how you're certain ...like was it as suggested a friend of james garner (who we know was into race cars to for a time), etc.?
    :)

a quick google search for car #3987 found me this:
    http://www.sportscardigest.com/ferrari-250-gto-impressions/
    http://emcpb.blogspot.ca/2010/12/ferrari-gto-3987.html

in real time eh? :D :D

8. thecheddar

thecheddar Formula 3

Jun 29, 2006
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Cheddar, The
    Yep, I believe this was Krasnavian's shortly before this was shot. Hope he chimes in here. Bought by Ralph Lauren later and "restored" to generic GTO spec (removing Lemans lights, etc.).

9. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    that's interesting ....where in between those did Mitchell own it?

i'm curious to learn who owned it then in 1974, the same time as the show aired?

10. DesertDawg

DesertDawg Eight Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2010
    The Desert
    Full Name:
    DesertDawg
    I found this:

http://www.early911sregistry.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-55998.html

11. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    LOL!! Well, as in when the episode was NEW on TV. No, I wasn't there for the taping.

Jedi

12. DesertDawg

Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2010
    The Desert
    Full Name:
    DesertDawg
    You didn't miss nothing... just a lot of J-Turns over, and Over, and OVER again!

13. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    And O V E R !!!!

:D:D

Jedi

14. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    LOL and "gets asked to take a case, refuses, gets beat up in his trailer, takes case anyways, gets charged for something, solves case, doesn't get paid!" :D

15. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
  16. DesertDawg

Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2010
    The Desert
    Full Name:
    DesertDawg
    Krasnavian = Stephen Mitchell

No telling... it just says "later in the '70's" is when Baumgard bought it.

I'll PM Carbon... he keeps track of a lot of VIN/Chassis #'s - maybe he knows.

17. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    After Mitchell owned it, it was entered in the Virginia City Hillclimb in 1974 by Claudio Zampolli. Later that year, Dr. Stuart Baumgard purchased the 250 LM engine (6045) from Ron Kellogg. But then Bob Lloyd purchased the GTO's original engine from Claudio - so there's a bit of ambiguity as to when the original engine was removed and replaced with the LM engine.

Baumgard later sold the car in the early '80s to a couple of guys who tried reselling it - if Ed Niles sees this thread, perhaps he can chime in because he was a part of the brokering process on this car back then. Ralph Lauren purchased it in late '85, where he hired the late Gerald Roush to inspect it. Gerald wasn't sure what to wear since he didn't have any Ralph Lauren clothing, so he wore Brooks Brothers. Lauren later told him that the only other clothing he admired at the time was Brooks Brothers.

18. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    ah, weird, i wouldn't have known that

okay, so according to ^^ Carbon's info too, looks like the time frame fits when Mitchell owned that particular car ....was he based in California during that time?
    i guess it could have been in Zampolli's hands and loaned for the day, he was in CA

19. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Wasn't it Mitchell's DAD that owned the car?

Jedi

20. DesertDawg

Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2010
    The Desert
    Full Name:
    DesertDawg
    If Mitchell owned it through at least part of '71, and then the next known appearance of the car was in 1974, owned by Zampolli, then yeah there's a pretty good chance that Zampolli owned it at the time it appeared in the Rockford Files show.

Unless there was another owner for a brief time in between Mitchell & Zampolli???

I had a feeling Carbon might have some info on this car... good on ya, Carby! :D

21. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    cool stuff! well, zampolli i think ran at riverside raceway during that period, so it's possible he would have been aquainted with garner who visited there ...not to say it was garner who got the car in the show, could have been someone else ...but the times and area of the car ownership line up
    some other reading online i've done puts some similar ferraris (example a 275 gtb/4 sold for $15,000 in 1974) ....it'd be interesting to learn what a GTO would have traded hands for then?

22. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
  23. DesertDawg

Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2010
    The Desert
    Full Name:
    DesertDawg
  24. DesertDawg

Silver Subscribed

Jan 25, 2010
    The Desert
    Full Name:
    DesertDawg
    Reallly????? Didn't know that... I thought it was Stephen himself - anyone else that may know one way or the other for certain?

25. Jedi

Jedi Moderator

Mar 18, 2008
    Seattle Area
    Full Name:
    Dave
    SM has a LONG history here.... he's long gone from the board with his tall
    tales about his many films he supposedly made, despite his absence from IMDB.

I'm sure someone will chime in with corroboration. But as I recall from those threads,
    he did not actually own ANY Ferrari - it was his father's car.

Jedi