Rear brake rotor help | FerrariChat

Rear brake rotor help

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Temerian, Mar 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Temerian

Temerian Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2014
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Rick Temerian
    I'm having a ***** of a time getting my rear brake rotors off. Any secrets I should know? Everything is pretty rusty but I've sprayed penetrating oil all over and the brakes are removed.

2. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Rick.....I will assume you have been spraying the part line in the center of the rotor where it meets the lip on the wheel hub, and also spray at the part line inside the lug hole where the back of the rotor sits against the face of the hub. And of course you have the wheel rim helper studs removed....now for the fun part, use a large brass rod or punch or even a good sized aluminum rod as a punch.....place it between each lug hole and smack it with a hammer. What needs to happen is a shock wave or vibration thru the metal enough to break the bond between the 2 surfaces, WITHOUT deforming the metal disc itself. If you have an oxy/acetylene torch, use it to WARM only the flat surface of the rotor, again, just enough to break the bond of rust.
    In fifty years of working on brakes, I have had to cut disc/drums off only 2 or 3 times, in the most worst cases.

Gary

3. Temerian

Temerian Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2014
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Rick Temerian
    Got it! I'm going to let the penetrating oil work overnight and give it a go tomorrow. The car was sitting outdoors in NYC for at least 2 years before I bought her and everything underneath is rusty. I'll post some photos next week.
    Rick

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I have had many rotors rusted to the hub. If the rotor is coming off to replace it you don't care about it. So you can heat the heck out of it with a propane torch and spray WD40 or similar on the partlines and wheel stud holes. Sometimes I will bang the rotor hard with a 5lb sledge hammer. Make sure you have the car on stand properly and that the parking brake is off or removed if those elements act on the rotor internals. In 40+ years including on Ferrari never hurt a bearing or hub doing this. They are very tough.

Ak Jim likes this.
  5. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Just did this refurbing my handbrakes. I ended up getting a short length of chain, cutting the two end links into hooks that fit in the inspection holes in the drum part of the disc. I then got a bottle jack on the hub and cranked it up until the chain was effing tight. THEN I whacked it with a copper hammer a few times - the back of the disc is OK if you don't go crazy. Once it cracks loose, you just pump it off with the jack.

Ak Jim likes this.
  6. fcf

fcf Rookie

Jan 30, 2015
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Frank
  7. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
  8. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
  9. Temerian

Temerian Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2014
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Rick Temerian
    Success! I made my own puller with a length of 1 1/2" square aluminum tube and two adjustable c-clamps. I'll post a photo when I have the other side set up. Thank you once again to the fchat community!