430 - Rear diffuser question... | FerrariChat

430 Rear diffuser question...

Discussion in '360/430' started by Mario Andretti, Oct 9, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    Hi all,

Upon changing my exhaust back to stock (thanks god, that Fabspeed installed with the car when I bought it was horrible :) ) I realized the diffuser screw-in points are kind of worn, and in a couple of spots there is almost not enough "meat" for the screw to catch in... Now I can put in washers, but it will look crap. It also felt unusually heavy for what it is, a cosmetic part...

What options do we have for a lightweight diffuser, that does not break the bank ? I am not fancying spending 2G on Fabspeed CF one...

Has anyone tried this one, not sure how well it fits though... I wonder if Fabspeed makes them in China too :)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002817029457.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.43fb7421P27vgY&algo_pvid=4e661590-298a-4d01-8006-a5c78cd26e14&algo_exp_id=4e661590-298a-4d01-8006-a5c78cd26e14-1&pdp_ext_f=%7B%22sku_id%22%3A%2212000022329210394%22%7D

Many thanks

2. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    Actually, forgetabouit; the shipping for the alibaba item is 734, so it brings it to almost 1450USD, might as well spring for the fabspeed one....anyone has any better options?

3. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Franklin Park, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    Don't know much about it, but would love to hear how it works out. And agree something lighter would be great.

Regarding your screws, there are slightly longer and shorter ones due to the mating screw mounts underneath, do you have them in the right configuration?

First time I installed, I didn't and noticed the same issue

4. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    C3 carbon on ebay, $1800, free shipping

5. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    Sorry, $1900 frees shipping

6. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I have the Fabspeed rear diffuser. Workmanship is great. I would recommend it highly and not mess around with unknown carbon manufacturers.

As for the screws. They are connected to hidden speed nuts you can simply replace, with better ones that won't rust. I ordered a whole bag on amazon for less than $20. The only two which aren't speed nuts, one on each side which you attached the bolts first, then you do the rest. Those are welded nuts onto the metal tabs. if those are worn, you will have to have a body shop replace the nuts and repaint the area to prevent rust.

You can see in this picture I've marked the gold speed nuts replacing the black OEM ones that tended to drip rust after a car wash.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Dean Palmer

Dean Palmer Formula Junior

May 21, 2010
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Full Name:
    Dean Palmer
    I have the Fabspeed carbon diffuser. Good workmanship and fit. Why mess with any of those unknown Chinese bargain deals when in the end it will cost almost what the Fabspeed does, and Fabspeed answers the phone and responds immediately to any concerns. I buy from them first simply due to their service and the quality of the parts I own from them and the others I have seen from them.

chenglo1 likes this.
  8. Extreme1

Extreme1 Formula 3

Jun 27, 2017
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Get ahold of becausephilchow on this forum, he does beautiful work. I bought a front cf splitter for my 430 from him, and it’s a work of art.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Ray Smith and Mario Andretti like this.
  9. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    Thanks all
    I have no problem with the screws, I was trying to say that the splitter itself is damaged in a couple of spots around the screw ...looks like it had been overtightened and the screw dug into the material ... seems somewhat easy to break.
    I will look into those options thanks again.

10. profit1

profit1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    Just sold my F430, i have a Carbonio diffuser available - High quality manufacturer, looks they do not produce these anymore. PM me if interested
    thanks

chenglo1 likes this.
  11. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    @profit1 where is it/are you located?

12. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    PM sent....

13. chenglo1

chenglo1 Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Cheng
    Fitment is VIP!!!!! I bought F430 Rtuned engine bay CF panels (all 5 pieces) and was assured there would be NO fitment issues...yeah right!!! A nightmare! I also have the Fabspeed CF diffuser. It fits better but NOT as a perfect fit as the oem. Maybe is just my F430 but I had to finaggle the left bolt that goes into the red metal panel. I fear panel may break after pulling in or out a few more times. Also on left side, the CF Fabspeed diffuser does NOT cover the angled hole that is in the bumper. The OEM covers this. Sorry, i dont know how to post pics on here. As stated above, pay extra for better product. Avoid Rtuned!!! Fabspeed not much better. BTW, the fins on the Fabspeed diffuser are NOT screwed on like OEM. They are held on by fasteners and can not be removed. Why is this impt? It is if you were to PPF your new 2K CF diffuser!

14. Freddan

Freddan Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 16, 2012
    Vansbro (Sweden)
    Full Name:
    Fredrik

that´s strange. I own both a Coupé and a spider F430 and have installed R tuned enginebay panels in theese. They where absolutley spot on without any issues with the install or fitment.

15. Mario Andretti

Mario Andretti Formula 3

Aug 9, 2020
    Boston
    that definitely put the last nail in the Fabspeed diffuser coffin. I was tempted but put off by price.... Anyone tried the Audio Design one?

https://shopaudiodesign.com/products/c3-carbon-ferrari-430-coupe-spider-carbon-fiber-rear-diffuser

I don't want any misalignment issues, nor any gaps. If that is the case, I'll stick with the oem...

Thanks

16. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert

I think you answered your own question.

17. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    What angled holes are you talking about? I don't see anything not covered on my Fabspeed diffuser. I also don't remember 100% but I could swear the diffuser fins are screwed in. I remember seeing screws. Did you buy your F430 diffuser directly from Fabspeed and when did you buy it, maybe the updated the design. I'm very happy with my diffuser.

18. Jackson32

Jackson32 Rookie

May 29, 2017
    North Carolina, U.S
    Full Name:
    Jackie
    Does anyone make a dry carbon diffuser?

19. chenglo1

chenglo1 Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Cheng
    Trust me, I had to get the dremel out and grind down a significant portion of the deep screw mounts. 3 bolts will not line upnwhich i just left off. Perhaps Rtuned had better QC when u purchased.

20. chenglo1

chenglo1 Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Cheng
    My trouble screw is the far left screw that screws into the metal bracket. Not the left top but the left forward hex screw. Mine is direct from Fabspeed and just arrived about 5 weeks ago. I can guarantee you fins in my diffuser are NOT bolted on. The oem's are for sure.

21. chenglo1

chenglo1 Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Cheng
    Sorry my earlier response was referring to a hex bolt that did not line up. The Fabspeed diffuser does not quite line up like OEM so it does not cover the left diagonal hole on the bumper. Someday if you remove your diffuser, you will see what i mean. Im too lazy to run out to the garage but i believe it is left and down from license plate. I just live with it as the CF looks so much better than the OEM diffuser because my F430s rear has the oem challenge grill.

22. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    It does line up. Just make sure you use the right screws, some are longer... it's common if you didn't install the screws in the right order to push the metal "arm" out of the way with the screw when you forcing it in. OEM or not.

The trick to re-align the metal arm is easy. Take the rear wheel off, then take the rear part of the liner off. Have one person push the bolt through the hole and have another line up the metal arm to the bolt, then start screwing in the bolt. It will not be aligned. Got this trick from my mechanic as it has happened to others who did their own diffuser and didn't start with the two holes on either side, then do the rest of the bolts.

23. chenglo1

chenglo1 Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Cheng
    Thx Corey. Ill re attempt over winter break n let.u guys know

24. profit1

profit1 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    sold --- thank you