Rear main seal, crank position sensor question | FerrariChat

Rear main seal, crank position sensor question

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by moysiuan, Sep 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    I am pretty sure I have a small rear main seal leak, should have had replaced when the clutch was done a few years ago, the seal is probably original. Is a small leak ok to leave til I feel like tackling the project, looks like a fairly serious disassembly to get at it. Is there anything in there that will damaged, eg. if oil drizzles the on the crank sensor and gets dirty generally, will that cause it to give odd readings? The clutch disk I suppose could get oiled, but there is no sign of grab or any other clutch like symptom. Just wondering if a crank sensor oiling will strand me with a no start or rough start if I leave it be for a while.

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The MicroPlex flywheel sensors (on an '88 3.2) are inductive and very resistant to oil contamination causing malfunction (and are on the opposite side of the flywheel so hard for leaking engine oil to even get there or to the clutch disc), but not a fan having a Ferrari leave an oil pee stain everywhere it parks ;)

moysiuan likes this.
  3. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    They are just marking their territory.

moysiuan likes this.