Rear shelf removal | FerrariChat

Rear shelf removal

Discussion in '308/328' started by blu308qv, Feb 28, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blu308qv

blu308qv Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2008
    Florida
    I need to recover the rear shelf behind the seats under the rear window in my 308 GTB QV. Can somebody tell me how to remove it?

2. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    #2 irondogmike, Feb 28, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
    this has been asked just about two weeks ago,do a search and you'll find it

3. mcfarlin

mcfarlin Karting

Jun 9, 2008
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mike McFarlin
    There are a couple of 8mm (if my memory serves) nuts holding studs connected to the shelf panels. Go through the engine compartment to get under the shelf.

Mike

4. blu308qv

blu308qv Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2008
    Florida
    Do you have to remove rear 1/4 windows? I saw this on a post when I did a search.

5. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    #5 Rod, Mar 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Lars...

I have just had my rear shelf covered in leather...

The answer is more than likely yes as the parcel shelf has pot rivets holding it in place, I had to remove the rear vents first, then the glass pops out... it should be toughened glass so dont worry about breakage, but ensure some one is there to catch if you need to push hard!

You can then drill the rivets outs... (be careful on the paint work)

I assume that you have got to the 3 nuts in the engine bay?

Are you doing the upper shelf? if so you just need to drill out the rivets when the glass is out... nothing else holding it up except the targa top catches...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. cessna

cessna Karting

Dec 4, 2008
    Malta
    Full Name:
    Stephen Grech
    I have a GTB. From where can I buy the rubber seals for the quater windows.?

7. blu308qv

blu308qv Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2008
    Florida
    #7 blu308qv, Mar 2, 2009
    Mission accomplished! Six bolts (three 10mm and three 8mm), remove seat belt covers and seat belts, and everything comes out nicely. Well everything but the small vertical panels by the quarter windows. Recovered everything in a creme mouse-hair material that matches my seat color. Recovered the small panels without removing them. I did not want to mess with removing windows and rivets. It was easier to recover while in place. Thought about leather, but like the mouse-hair look a lot better. Looks great.

Milkshaker0007 likes this.
  8. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Very, VERY NICE !!!!

9. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    nice job,so it wasn't that hard to do,and where did you get the materal?

10. blu308qv

blu308qv Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2008
    Florida
    I got the material at Jo-Ann Fabrics and Crafts. It is a Faux Suede (Mouse-Hair) and they had several colors. The material is very thick and rugged, and it came out looking like it was factory original. I used a normal spray adhesive to attach it to the panels. I apologize for not taking pictures of each step.

11. blu308qv

blu308qv Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2008
    Florida
    #11 blu308qv, Mar 3, 2009
    Just as an example, below is one the nasty stained covers that came out. It was the only negative to my car and it drove me nuts looking at it.

12. cessna

cessna Karting

Dec 4, 2008
    Malta
    Full Name:
    Stephen Grech
    Seems you have or had a leak from the windoe seals. I have same problem with my GTB. Did you solve the leak problem, and from where was it coming?.

I asked if someone can direct me from where I can find brand new seals. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

PS: Beautiful shelf.

13. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Would be interested in the new seals too. So far, Ricambi and T Rutlands have produced other seals for me.

Mine has essentially the same stained area (GTS). I having the parts - in fact the entire interior - removed for pick up this weekend. (Too much cleaning to perform in place.) I'm sadly (gulp, admitting to the Fcar public) contemplating a synthetic/vinyl that looks almost identical to my tan interior back there, plus a small 'lip' so I could actually USE it like a parcel shelf. These posts are quite inspiring; appreciative of the work, write ups and photos.

14. kafugelum308

kafugelum308 Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2003
    Northwest
    Full Name:
    M Bradley
    I was able to use my Dremel on the pop rivets so I did not have to remove the vents and glass.

15. D.Mauro

D.Mauro Formula 3

Jun 18, 2006
    Cumming/ Hlwd Fl
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    #15 D.Mauro, Mar 4, 2009
  16. zebra308

zebra308 Formula 3

Jan 14, 2004
    All Flimmits
    Full Name:
    Ruffis Leekin
    Dom,
    What do you mean by "German" vinyl?
    I've been wanting to do this to my 328 GTS and am concerned about doing it in leather.
    Thanks,
    Will

PS.it looks great!

17. D.Mauro

D.Mauro Formula 3

Jun 18, 2006
    Cumming/ Hlwd Fl
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Thanks, Made in Germany, very good quality, most of the top, fabric materials is made there.Any upholstery shop should have it.

18. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    Do you have a Euro car? On the US QV the heat shield makes it all but impossible to get at the center deck clip. I'd love to know how do this without getting the shield out (and removing gas lines, etc)

19. bwassam

bwassam Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2005
    North Bend, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Robert Wassam
    I've got a rattle somewhere in the area of the rear shelf. I've been wondering how to romove the shelf to see what's rattling under there. Thanks.

20. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Nice job Lars...

Are you doing the roof?

21. blu308qv

blu308qv Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2008
    Florida
    Yes, it is a Euro. Also, as I saw on a previous thread here, there where no Blue 308 GTB QV's every brought to the US by FNA.

22. blu308qv

blu308qv Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2008
    Florida
    I had the same rattle, drove me nuts. When I did the shelf it miraculously disappeared. It would kick in at certain RPMs.

23. blu308qv

blu308qv Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2008
    Florida
    Thank you. I don't know about the roof. How do you get it out? It is not stained either. But if I did the roof, then I'd have to do the Visors, and that would require some sewing, and possibly taking up Coffee again.

24. bwassam

bwassam Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2005
    North Bend, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Robert Wassam
    Thanks, that is next on my list, as soon as the car gets back from the fire damage. So far the steel lines have been replaced but there is a burnt wire that still needs to be replaced. When get the car back I'll take some photos for everyone.

Good job on the package tray. At the moment the only think on my package tray besides dust is a little teddy bear.

25. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

9 years later, but I have a question. :)
    I read there are 6 bolts that need to be removed together with the seatbelt.
    Where are those 6 bolts located? All in the engine compartment or hidden somewhere else?

I have a rattle on one side (passenger side close to the window) of the rear shelf. Is it possible to only remove one side maybe?