458 - Rear Wheel Area Noise - Passenger Side | FerrariChat

458 Rear Wheel Area Noise - Passenger Side

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by hgoodwiniii, Aug 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    Hi all, I am hearing noise in the passenger side rear wheel area of 458. At times, it sounds like grinding and at other times it sounds like clicking. The noise is heard periodically (probably 15 minutes total in the last 150 miles driven), last 5 - 10 minutes and seems to be heard only at low speeds. The rear brake pads are new and look good. Anyone have any suggestions what the problem may be? Thanks.

2. triathgeek

triathgeek Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2010
    Santa Clarita, CA
    Wheel bearing or bad tire?

SVCalifornia likes this.
  3. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    Ok, tires are good; How can I confirm for sure wheel bearing? How tough is it to change? Thanks.

4. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    You can usually confirm a wheel bearing by loading and unloading the wheel. You'll hearing the noise when turning one direction and not another.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    Ok, so I am being told that you cannot just replace the rear wheel bearing on the 458. The entire hub has to be replaced; Can anyone confirm that? Also, my car has 24,000 miles on it; Can anyone confirm these bearings typically go out in this mileage range or should I be looking to some other issue that would have caused it? Thanks.

6. 707

707 Karting

May 29, 2014
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Its clicking right? Could be the brake pad is a tiny bit smaller than the shoe size. When you apply brakes the pads move and you hear the click. Apparently semi common on all models.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    I'm actually hearing both either clicking or like a grinding sound. It happens periodically at low speeds for 5 - 10 minutes at a time.

8. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    So I lifted the rear tires of my 458 off the ground today. I am getting some side to side play in the rear tire/caliper/rotor when I move it from side to side on the rear driver side. There is no up/down play on that side when I apply pressure; There is no up to down or side to side play on the passenger side rear tire/caliper/rotor when I apply pressure at all.

9. v35

v35 Karting

May 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Might be the bearing if there’s play. Take it to your dealership or local independent shop and let us know

10. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    Yes, I just dropped it off. Thanks

v35 likes this.
  11. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    Ok everyone, the diagnosis is right rear wheel bearing failing and left rear tie rod end failed. The entire hub has to be changed to take care of the wheel bearing. Would these part failures be considered "normal" on a Ferrari with ~24,000 miles on it?

12. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Actually no, those closed type bearing should last much longer. No idea what could have cause the failure since they are closed to prevent contamination and don't need to be lubricated. Beats me...

I think I have the same problem in my car...
    Warranty activated!

13. v35

v35 Karting

May 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Failed bearing at that mileage isn’t normal but it’s not rare either. Is your car completely stock? No aftermarket wheels?

14. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    Yes, completely stock.

15. hgoodwiniii

hgoodwiniii Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2015
    Has anyone tried replacing the hub DYI or is this a job for the pros? I've replaced them on non-Ferrari cars in the past over the years. However, this appears to be a bit more involved on the 458. Thanks.

16. Sapientoni

Sapientoni Rookie

May 7, 2023
    You'll need a good gear puller and a torch to kill the chemical fixing compound, Releasing the parking brake is also necessary and there's a procedure for that.

Lance F likes this.
  17. Lance F

Lance F Rookie

Jan 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Lance Forsee

18. Lance F

Lance F Rookie

Jan 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Lance Forsee
    I believe my right rear bearing is failing. Waiting for my mechanic to confirm. I'm told it's very rare on a 458. No play in wheel when jacked up. Groaning road noise that varies with speed and goes away when I veer left.

19. todd cloud

todd cloud Formula Junior

Jun 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    Todd
    My 2013 passenger side rear bearing failed at 14000 miles
    NOT covered by the Power15 warranty

Lance F likes this.
  20. Lance F

Lance F Rookie

Jan 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Lance Forsee
    Mine is a 2012 with 11k miles.

21. Boiler Inspector

Boiler Inspector Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2017
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    My '13 Spider has about 54k miles. It did go away when turned one direction. You may have caught yours early as there was definite play in mine that was waaaaay out of tolerance.

22. Lance F

Lance F Rookie

Jan 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Lance Forsee
    Confirmed. My left rear wheel bearing is failing. Expensive set up as the whole hub needs to be replaced as we know.

Boiler Inspector likes this.