355 - Recarpeting - Advice | FerrariChat

355 Recarpeting - Advice

Discussion in '348/355' started by GatedF355GTB, Dec 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GatedF355GTB

GatedF355GTB Karting

Dec 5, 2017
    Hey everybody,

I’m going to be changing my interior color from tan to black. Unfortunately the molded carpets are not available from Ferrari, so I’ll need to enlist the help of an upholstery guy. I spoke to one who wants to sew the new carpet to the old. Does anyone know if this is the correct way to do this job? I’m wondering if we could instead just glue the new carpet in. That’s what I did with my 993 and it looks fine.

Does anyone know any good upholsterers in the SF Bay Area?

Thanks!

2. Pepsi10

Pepsi10 Formula Junior

Nov 24, 2008
    InlandNorthWest
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    GatedF355GTB likes this.
  3. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Carpet can be put in but it will be put in in pieces around the footwell it won't look exactly OEM. It actually looks better than OEM.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

GatedF355GTB likes this.
  4. GatedF355GTB

GatedF355GTB Karting

Dec 5, 2017
  5. GatedF355GTB

GatedF355GTB Karting

Dec 5, 2017
    It does seem a little unnecessary to attach the new carpet to the old. To your point, I dont care if it doesn’t look exactly OE as long as it looks good.

6. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    you remove all the old carpet and insulation, apply sound deadening to the metal, lay foam down and trim and get it all nice and flat, then use Wilton Wool.
    For example in this 348 which looks better than newer Ferraris.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

tres55, A348W, ShineKen and 4 others like this.
  7. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Guys the carpets in ferraris are molded - so you can't just rip out the carpet and put in new carpet- on my 550 i hated the interior blue color, i removed the parts and had them redyed from blue to Black and it turned out perfect..i had the car about 6 months and during that time it held up well

8. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Sure you can pull it up and replace it with non molded, but better. Look at the pics above. The idea that the stock is molded therefore you can only put molded back in is not accurate.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

GatedF355GTB likes this.
  9. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    A friend just did his 348. As mentioned above; take out the old; use it as a template; get required edging bound etc, re install.

Lots of individual pieces to do so takes a bit of time.

Lots of companies supplying carpets for cars, edging trim etc.

GatedF355GTB likes this.
  10. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I've just in the middle of re-carpeting my 348 and it is quite an involved job. The approach I have taken is to remove each piece and then use it as a template to make the new piece but make the new piece a bit bigger than pit it back in teh car and using some decent quality carpet scissors trim to be an exact fit.

With regard to the moulded pieces ie the piece that runs along the sill and the piece that just goes under teh dash in front of it a bit of judicial cutting plus using carpet tack glue should make it look ok. Some, not all pices have bound edges so once I got them the right shape I sent them back to the place where I bought the carpet from to have teh edges bound.

Progress so far....

https://www.clubscuderia.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?45388-348-DIY-quot-Restoration-quot&p=845133#post845133

https://www.clubscuderia.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?45388-348-DIY-quot-Restoration-quot&p=845272#post845272

Few teaser pics....

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Challenge and GatedF355GTB like this.
  11. GatedF355GTB

GatedF355GTB Karting

Dec 5, 2017
    Update: not surprisingly the carpet is not available from Ferrari. It was worth a shot. Next stop is my upholsterer.

12. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Wilton wool can be sourced front the UK direct or a few resellers stateside. Try re-originals.

13. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    That's no big loss - the original carpet isn't the best TBH. When I bought mine I went for a thicker, better quality carpet which looks and feels much better. Take the opportunity to upgrade! :)

14. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    The original 348 carpet is total garbage and not color fast so it fades badly. The 355 was way nicer.

15. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    You not finished that yet Jeff???

16. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Not yet - had the small matter of rebuilding my suspension to take care of! :-(

17. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
  18. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I bought my roll of carpet from them. Took 3 trips to get it right. Final correct carpet is amazing but EXPENSIVE as I bought enough for car and mats and spare panel parts for future wear and tear.

"Roll? why did you buy a huge azz roll, why not just the carpet set?" Been there... call and try and buy it. ;)

19. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    keep us updated

20. GatedF355GTB

GatedF355GTB Karting

Dec 5, 2017
    Im in a holding pattern until March when my upholsterer has an open slot. He actually wants to attach the new carpet to the existing carpet as he (and another upholsterer I spoke with) said that it’s the best way to adhere to the curves of the floor. If I’m honest I do have some indecision about the best way to proceed.

21. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Thats what my upholsterer said as well, attach new to existing is best route- i'll probably have mine done before that and update

GatedF355GTB likes this.
  22. GatedF355GTB

GatedF355GTB Karting

Dec 5, 2017
    That's 3 upholsterers recommending the same method. I'll take that as a positive. Looking forward to your update.

OCKlasse likes this.
  23. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    This looks amazing!

24. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    ok guys, so i said i'd update the thread, i removed all my carpets from the car, i hated the old tan carpets and have never liked tan carpeted interior..i decided to change the color to black which will contrast great with the tan interior / deviated carpets are always nice.

Anyways had all the carpeting removed, professionally cleaned and redyed, turned out spectacular,but took about a week of work the shop told me (anyone interested i can send you their info, not sure yet if he's going to do this commercially though)

i even did the old faded floormats (ignore the vacuum lines)

OCKlasse and ShineKen like this.
  25. GatedF355GTB

GatedF355GTB Karting

Dec 5, 2017
    Thanks for the update, Tarek. I like the idea of re-dying the carpet. One question though - did the carpet retain it’s ply-ability and softness?

Years ago I once tried this myself on a ratty old Porsche and it didn’t turn out very well. The carpet ended up with a rough texture.