Recharcing the battery problem

Discussion in '348/355' started by Skiday, Oct 12, 2017.

1. ATTENTION: http/https Bug Fix! Most of us have been experiencing problems staying logged in as we navigate the site. That is simply the result of links varying between http and https, which each require different logons. To resolve we are going to force https starting sometime Wednesday. However, you may have problems accessing FerrariChat until after you log out, clear cookies/browser cache, and log back on. Keep in mind my email is admin@ferrarichat.com if you do have access problems after Wednesday. Thanks!
  1. Skiday

Skiday Rookie

Feb 22, 2016
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew Day
    I put my 355 into storage about 4 weeks ago and forgot to disconnect the battery. So when I went to it today it was dead as a dodo. I connected the charger to the terminals in the engine compartment, which is what the manual tells you, but when I turned the charger the door locks started going nuts! They were both constantly going like a jackhammer. I tried locking the doors, which reduced it, but they wouldn't stop till I turned the charger off. So I had to throw the disconnect switch, remove the battery panel (and that's not easy) and connect the charger directly to the battery.

Any ideas why the door locks went off like that?

P.S. I was at the two Ferrari museums in Modena and Maranello last week - Wow! (I was able to point out to a member of staff that an info board for a 512BB described it as having a V12 though!)

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Italian electronics.

3. hjp

hjp Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2013
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Full Name:
    Jerry Peterson
    Skiday, be careful. I know a former Fchatter who put a trickle charger on his battery while he was out of town for a few weeks. When he came back, the door lock buttons were going up and down like you described but, much worse, his security system was fried and he could not do anything with the car. He had to eventually replace the entire system from Ferrari. Very expensive and they put him through hoops to get this done. I should note he had an Odessey (spell'g??) battery that, in my understanding, should only be charged in a special way and with a special charger. I'm not sure he followed that protocol and this may have contributed to his problem

4. Skiday

Skiday Rookie

Feb 22, 2016
    Isle of Wight, UK
    Full Name:
    Andrew Day
    This is not a special battery.

Did the person you know put the charger directly onto the battery whilst isolating the car, or did he connect to the terminals in the engine compartment? I'm thinking it must have been the later. The door locks on mine were only going for a minute. I can imagine if they went like that for a couple of weeks they would be fried. I do normally keep a trickle charger on it (in the engine bay) and have not had a problem till now. I had to connect an old and unsophisticated charger to it as my hi-tech computerised one will not start with a dead flat battery. (Don't you just hate tech that's too clever for its own good!)

5. hjp

hjp Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2013
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Full Name:
    Jerry Peterson
    Yes, I believe it was through the engine compartment terminals. Otherwise it would have been isolated and nothing would have happened. It wasn't the lock buttons that were fried, it was his entire security system, much worse.

I made a tap from my battery up to the trunk battery disconnect switch area so I can connect a battery tender there with the battery switch off. I have also used the same battery tender through the terminals in the engine bay for long periods with no consequences as well. Tenders won't work with a totally dead battery either. I have a standard battery that can be charged normally.

6. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Full Name:
    James Moran
    Agreed not much of a V but they call it a 180deg v-12 because of the firing order.

7. Tired of seeing this ad? Upgrade now
  8. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    When the battery is completely discharged and you connect a charger (without isolating the battery), the prevailing power supply to the car electronics is that from the charger which is unfiltered DC with a lot of "ripples", fast on-off voltage 100 times a second (50Hz x 2). Some electronics (as you noticed) cannot operate at such unfiltered DC power, i.e. will go crazy. Furthermore, a totally discharged battery will initially not draw much amperes (not load the charger) which may, in the case of some older ordinary type chargers which produce voltage much higher than 12V when not loaded, allow this overvoltage to go to the car electronics and damage them.

If your battery had gone below 10.8V (and posibly close to zero volts) for a number of days, then it may not be able to take charge any more. You may be able to charge it leaving it on the charger for a long time but it may then lose that charge overnight. You probably need a new battery.

thorn likes this.
  9. joe1973

joe1973 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2016
    NJ
    Once the the battery goes flat it never goes back. To full at least. Cheap and best peace of mind to replace. Or your risk your alternator and electric gremlins down the road.

10. watkinsgt

watkinsgt Karting

Feb 4, 2008
    I've been using a DelTran Battery Tender trickle charger to maintain a '99 355's batteries (on it's third) since car was new. The charger is connected to the engine compartment terminals. During the winter the car sits on the charger for 6 months or more. During the summer it sits on the charger for weeks, sometimes months, at a time. I've never switched off the 'battery disconnecting switch' in the front luggage compartment - believing that would interrupt the trickle charge to the battery. I've never had a battery charging problem - yet. However 355 ownership makes one paranoid, superstitious and downright twitchy - so when I read of runaway 'jackhammering door locks' and 'fried electricals' I gotta ask.....Is my battery maintenance regimen kosher? Is this what others do?

11. hjp

hjp Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2013
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Full Name:
    Jerry Peterson

Basically, yes. A battery tender is not the same thing as a charger. It will not charge a battery at all. In fact, below a certain point, it will not function at all.

I don't recall off the top of my head what brand tender I have (its a very well known one though) and I have a normal battery. Using a tender like this with a normal battery that is not significantly discharged, whether disconnected from the car or not, is perfectly safe for relatively long periods like you describe.

You are correct, disconnecting the battery with the switch will disconnect a tender hooked up in the engine bay,