Recommendation on battery tender? | FerrariChat

Recommendation on battery tender?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Johnnyrako, Nov 30, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Johnnyrako

Johnnyrako Rookie

Sep 24, 2019
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    John Rakowiecki
    what's the best battery tender for a 2013 California? TIA

Sammi likes this.
  2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-353-12-Volt-Battery-Charger/dp/B000FRLO9Y

CTEK 7002. If you have HELE, you want to charge in "snowflake" mode. I like this one because I know after 3+ years of usage that when my battery is in good condition - been driven recently & often, been tendered when it is not being driven - the first light switches over to 2nd light in about 10 seconds, from 2nd to 3rd light in ~ 10 mins, and from 3rd light to 4th (green) in ~ 1 hour from initially plugging it in...T

Edit - there is a specific dongle for the Cali. Someone here sells them (alas, can't remember name) or you can ask your F dealer. Mine had a few extras laying around and let me have it for free! :D

rob5819 likes this.
  3. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I have both the Cali connector and the tender Tom mentions above. I’ll send you a PM.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

jblakesmith_gt and tomc like this.
  4. Defmeister

Defmeister Karting

Aug 3, 2019
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    I use a CTEK MXS 5.0 here in the UK. I made the California specific connector myself using the info on kumari.net website. It was easy if you can solder and only cost about £20 including a CTEK extension cable. Much better than the Ferrari one which is also a CTEK but lower spec. Give it a go.......

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

tomc likes this.
  5. SilverLeaf

SilverLeaf Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2011
    jblakesmith_gt and tomc like this.
  6. jblakesmith_gt

jblakesmith_gt Karting

Jan 12, 2020
    I too am curious about the better tenders for these cars. I'm currently using the ctek ferrari branded tender that I think comes with the Cali along with the car cover and duffle bag. Appears this included model only has 4 stages? I already have the ctek mus 4.3 below, but no connector appropriate for cali. Is it better to use 8 stage mus 4.3 and obtain the right connection, or is the ferrari branded ctek just as good? I'm thinking the mus 4.3 is a newer model based on when I bought it (2018) vs the model year of my cali30...2013. Thanks. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

7. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I found the OEM battery tender to be unreliable. To be fair, it was about 5 years old when we bought our Cali, and the battery that came with our Cali was on its last legs. I upgraded to a CTEK 7002, got a new battery, and knock on wood, it's been all good since then. I like the extra lights, but then I'm a science nerd!
    T

jblakesmith_gt likes this.
  8. jblakesmith_gt

jblakesmith_gt Karting

Jan 12, 2020
    Thanks Tom. The Cali30 i just got has a new battery since this past Sept, so ferrari branded tender had no problem going through all 4 stages, although only 2 lights. Like you, I like to see the multiple lights with stages. I'll see if I can run across an adapter for the mus 4.3. Thanks again.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I would start @ the kumari.net site mentioned above...T

10. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Same experience here with my OEM tender for my 612. When it stopped working it actually drained the battery. If you plug it into the car without plugging into the AC outlet you will see one light turn on, showing you it is drawing current from the battery.

I replaced mine with the CTEK 7002. It has many more capabilities than the lower end CTEKs.