Recommendations for driving Ferrari from Venice to Florence | FerrariChat

Recommendations for driving Ferrari from Venice to Florence

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by tuanbuffalo, Mar 16, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tuanbuffalo

tuanbuffalo Rookie

Mar 16, 2018
    Full Name:
    do anh tuan
    Hi All

So I would like to get some peoples recommendations for which route / roads to take when driving from Venice to Florence. I am doing a bucket list thing and hiring a Ferrari 458 Spider in September, I only have it for a day and am driving it from Venice, via Modena (for the Ferrari Museum) and ending up in Florence for my hotel stay.

So does anyone have any recommendations on routes / roads to take? Obviously time might be a bit tight, but i don't want to just do the boring roads, so has anyone driven this before? Any road recommendations? Need to make the most of this very VERY special day.

Thanks All

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Somewhere here and/or on the net are the roads near the factory used to test the cars - maybe they could be part of your loop - in fact you might be better not going to Modena but Maranello and the museum there so you can then also take a selfie outside the factory gates

3. toggie

toggie F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2003
    Virginia
    Full Name:
    Toggie (Ron)
    Be careful avoiding getting speeding or other traffic tickets.

Don’t know if you’ve driven in Italy or not but it took me a little bit to get used to.
    The open highways are easier to navigate than the city streets.
    Lots of distractions in the towns: pedestrians, bicycles, motor scooters, the road signs are up high on the buildings, traffic circles, most roads have more than 3 words in their name and they all start with “v”, etc. :)
    Plus, my iPhone’s gps took too long to recalibrate after taking a wrong turn.

After 3 or 4 days, it wasn’t too bad. You learn to study a map before heading out for a drive.

Last Summer was the first time for me. We drove from Milan to Modena and Maranello for the 70th Anniversary event. Spent a week with a rental BMW 3 series. Have fun!

4. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Just straight line driving down the Autostrade (A13), including the side trip to Modena/Maranello is at least four hours.

While the A4 is nothing special, I'd take it west from Venezia to Verona and then drop down the A22 passing Montova.
    Once you leave Modena, you can get off the A1 and take sections of the E35 for scenery. Some nice hills along that route.

From your limited description, it will be an all-day event.

BTW - once in Firenza, I highly recommend you cap the bucket list with dinner at the restaurant La Reggia degli Etruschi.

5. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    As mentioned the drive from Venezia to Firenze is basically Autostrade driving. The area to drive the beautiful backroads, which are plentiful, is all around Tuscany, which Firenze is the heart. Several day trips can be made from there. Italy is notorious for camera citations, both parking and driving. Within the cities are restricted zones for cars with permits, and I mean driving through the area not just parking. I recommend NOT using your phone GPS, it is too slow and troublesome. The car's GPS will alert you of the speed zone you are driving, if that matters to you;)

6. Mimmo Blue

Mimmo Blue Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2018
    Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dom
    My experience in Italy last October was that the phone gps was best. Drove from Emilia area down to Abruzzo. When going through the mountains, the car gps wanted me to turn onto a dirt road down the side of a mountain that would have been a challenge for my F150 4x4. If I was driving in the dark i probably would have made the turnoff and gotten into a bit of trouble. My phone gps gave me a different direction at that same point. . Google maps on your phone can get updates for road closures, whereas the car gps can be out if date.

Formula Uno likes this.
  7. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    Funny to read that! My family's tiny hometown is in the mountains of Abruzzo...near Aquila/Cheiti.

The GPS takes you on some pretty scary roads...sometimes you have to make a broken U-Turn to continue....can't imagine driving a Ferrari there! I don't think that I saw a Ferrari in that area even ONCE. Not many affluent people living in that region;)

8. Mimmo Blue

Apr 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dom
    My destination was Gagliano Aterno

9. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    Never been there but it's close to my town, Palena.

Beautiful area:)

10. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Yes. GPS told me to turn, I saw the "locals only" restriction sign, but turned anyway. Camera caught me. I didn't know until months later when I received a notice in the mail. About 45 Euros fine, as I recall. I paid.

11. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Be careful driving in Florence and Modena. You need a permit to drive in certain parts. I received over a dozen tickets in 2016 driving in
    Italy. Only one speeding ticket. the rest were camera tickets for driving in bus lanes and parking where everybody was parked. Bus lane ticket was multiple every 100 feet.

12. kerrari

kerrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    Coolum Beach AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Karen H.
    Have you ever driven in Italy before? Have you done much driving in a 458? If the answer to both those questions is "no" your dream could turn into a nightmare... as already mentioned, you have big distances to cover and off the autostrada the 458 will be a verry big car in the small towns. There are beautiful driving roads around Maranello - consider getting the car there and just enjoy driving it for a day rather than using it for a 'transport stage'.
    I've done the drive from Treviso (about 20km from Venezia) to Maranello by the autostrada and it's boring. As mentioned, around 4 hours driving (and that was with a local driving his own Alfa) . Just to get to Maranello, see the town (which is worthwhile as there are always lots of Ferrari whizzing around, and if you're lucky, practice at Fiorano track which you can here, and see a little, from the gates on the road put of town) and get to Firenze will take the day, with very little time to spend at the museum.

13. Mimmo Blue

Apr 17, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dom
  14. bobhitch

bobhitch Formula Junior

Jun 28, 2014
    UK
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I would avoid driving in Florence - I did it just the once.
    Narrow roads between tall buildings (laid out and built centuries before cars were ever thought of ) high kerbs , nightmare one way systems everywhere and crazy scooter drivers.
    Can’t see it would be an enjoyable experience !

15. Zcobra1

Zcobra1 Formula 3

Oct 9, 2012
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Bert
    Or look into a Ferrari tour company like Red Travel.

16. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    too funny. we are from villa sant'angelo near stiffe and san demetrio!

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  17. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    All good advice, but the OP posted once and then ran.

Mimmo Blue likes this.