458 - Recommended Snow Chains | FerrariChat

458 Recommended Snow Chains

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by mjbcswitzerland, Nov 22, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mjbcswitzerland

mjbcswitzerland Karting

Jan 8, 2008
    Hi All

I wanted to buy "snow socks" for the tyre size 295/35 ZR20 (to be legal at > 800m in France in the winter) but learned that they won't fit and could cause damage on a 458.
    Does anyone carry snow chains or similar in their 458?
    If so, what is recommended?

Regards

Mark

Midnight Oil, Ash Patel and subalou1 like this.
  2. r6elmo

r6elmo Karting

Sep 12, 2010
    I commend you for attempting this but I think snow chains wouldn't work at all. If you're lucky you could try to use snow cables as they are thinner, but even those would likely mess up your inner and outter fenders. Could you get by with mud/snow tires to meet the requirements? If so I'd go for a smaller diameter wheel in 18 or 19" just for the rear an put the appropriate Mud and Snow tires on.

I find it interesting they have a requirement like that there, what if it's sunny out and there's no need for winter tires?

3. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    This sounds... not good. Is there an option to just not drive it?

Sargepug likes this.
  4. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
  5. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
  6. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    just wow

axlesofevil likes this.
  7. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    I guess my F430 had "snow" mode so maybe this makes sense....

8. mjbcswitzerland

mjbcswitzerland Karting

Jan 8, 2008
    Background:
    I am in the south of France and want to drive the Route Napoleon on Saturday on the way back to Switzerland.
    The Route Napoleon takes about 5 hours from Cannes to Grenoble and, according to the forecast, it will be dry and fairly warm for the time of year (I am waiting until Saturday as there could in fact be a little snow tomorrow) and I don't expect any actual problems at the weekend.
    However the law in France (between November and about April) is that above 800m you need to have either winter tyres or carry chains (or socks etc.). Checks can be made and fines issued if not in compliance, including possibly impounding the car. As well as just carrying chains (or socks) the driver needs to know how to fit them.
    The risk is that after a certain place on the Route Napoleon you can't back back off it again to lower ground so you have to drive 2..3 hours at altitude. Although the forecast shows temperatures between 6°C and 9°C (unusually warm for the time of year) should there be a sudden change you could theoretically get stuck
    To be safe (applying with the law and being able to get down in an emergency) I thought the socks would be a simple and cheap solution but when advised in the store they said they should not be used on Ferraris since there is (probably) not enough space behind the wheels and it could cause serious damage (to the car/wheel/brakes)
    Eg. https://www.allopneus.com/produit/accessoire-auto/easysocks/chaussettes-neige/chaussettes-neige-easysocks-xl-la-paire/0002036421
    They said it may work with these types (only mounted externally)
    https://www.allopneus.com/produit/accessoire-auto/polaire/chaines-neige/chaines-neige-polaire-grip-130-la-paire/0005814299
    but that I really needed to get expert advice before risking it.
    Since I am traveling home 850km away it makes no sense to change types (the summer ones are only 3'000 km old and I couldn't transport or store them).
    The alternative is to take a longer route via the motorway (low lying) but it is a real shame to need to avoid the more exiting way, especially as the weather is most likely to be quite splendid.
    If I could get confirmation that one type would work "in an emergency" (which is quite unlikely to occur) I would prefer to carry them (conform with the law) and enjoy doing the trip via the best route.
    I was naive three years ago when I drove the route in my old Mondial Cabriolet (with 348 wheels) and there was (some) snow and ice the first 2 hours of the trip. It was real hell and I swore never to be so stupid again (it was quite terrifying not knowing when it would end). Luckily there was almost no traffic and I could accelerate between the iced up sections to keep ahead of anyone and no police saw me. But I am wiser now and will take an alternative route unless absolutely sure.

Cheers

Mark

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  9. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    I'm reminded of people who go 10/10s on track days. Or who drive ridiculously fast on public roads. The very best case scenario is that you get slightly more adrenaline and have more "fun". Fun and adrenaline are fleeting and not very valuable. But there are tons of bad scenarios. In your case you might get stuck. You might ruin your fenders. You might crash your car. You might die. I just don't see how the slight benefit outweighs all the bad that could happen.

If I were you I'd just take the low lying, safe route.

10. mjbcswitzerland

mjbcswitzerland Karting

Jan 8, 2008
    I might die if I take the low lying, safe route too, so - by that logic - I should avoid taking the car ever ;-)

Basically I would like to know whether anyone else carries a snow chain (solution that works on the car in question) for emergency use. I am not planning on breaking speed limits nor taking risks. Just following the basic rules as all other drivers do who don't happen to have a Ferrari, and can thus throw in almost any old snow chain they could pick up for $50 in a convenience store.

It is just a bit more difficult in our case....

Ash Patel likes this.
  11. axlesofevil

axlesofevil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Fair enough. Well, hopefully you get the answer you need in the next few days. I just can't imagine there are many people who have put snow gear on their Ferrari. :/

12. Boiler Inspector

Boiler Inspector Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 14, 2017
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    It's the weather Subarus are made for...

iMrMark, Boomhauer and rob5819 like this.
  13. mjbcswitzerland

mjbcswitzerland Karting

Jan 8, 2008
    I doubt it too but I am trying to find out.
    I also emailed my dealer to see what they recommend: Maybe Ferrari has an official recommendation(?)

14. mjbcswitzerland

mjbcswitzerland Karting

Jan 8, 2008
    Actually not at all. It is 12°C and sunny along much of the stretch. It is just that the law says one must have something in the car 'in case', but if nothing fits you are effectively "banned" from being there.....;-(

SoftwareDrone and Ash Patel like this.
  15. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I live in Colorado so not uncommon for people to drive their Ferraris in snow but unfortunately do not know of or have ever seen tire chains/cables/socks etc in use here- And some passes/roads do implement and enforce "chain laws"- here people run Blizzaks or Vredesteins and if a chain law is in effect they take a different route- or just drive a different car.

*** Colorado owners- if I'm wrong and you know of/use a removable solution please chime in- I'm always fine to stand corrected :)

Midnight Oil likes this.
  16. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Kent Adams
    #16 Kent Adams, Nov 22, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
    Can you not use studs in your tires? https://www.amazon.com/tire-studs/s?k=tire+studs

Snow socks would be a good way to go, but being your car is not 4 wheel drive, it still sounds iffy to me, but yes, snow socks would work to solve your requirements I believe and won't cause any damage to your car.

17. Beez

Beez Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 22, 2016
    I've lived and driven sports cars in Colorado for over 30 years. Only commercial trucks are subject to requirements of chains or cables, when the Winter Traction Law is declared in effect on specific roads. For passenger cars, the Traction Law means only that your car must have either 4WD, AWD, with 3/16" tread on any type of tire, OR 2WD with M+S (mud and snow) designation with 3/16" tread.

Generally speaking, anyone wishing to drive their sports car in the Colorado mountains in the winter would make it work by running dedicated Winter tires, not by use of socks, cables or chains.

mjbc, I think the best you can make of this situation is to buy the cheap socks, practice a test-fit at home to confirm that you could demonstrate the capability of putting them on the car, but then only actually take the high route if the day-of-departure forecast is 0.0% chance of any snow or ice. I suspect that all of your friends here will be in agreement, that you can't risk actually subjecting your car to snow and use of these devices.

Let us know how it turns out!

Caeruleus11 and Shorn355 like this.
  18. Beez

Beez Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 22, 2016
    ^ No, you can't put snow-studs in any tire except "studdable" winter tires that are designed to accept the studs. An attempt to do so on tires like our Super Sports would be dangerous and ruin the tire.

Shorn355 likes this.
  19. Tifoso Ferrari

Tifoso Ferrari Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    Upper Volta
    Full Name:
    Gianni Cagate
    It’s why you own a Range Rover …

20. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    Full Name:
    Kent Adams
    I've been using auger studs for 10 years on sport tires and even my street bike. I guess I've been lucky.

21. triathgeek

triathgeek Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2010
    Santa Clarita, CA
    I don't get it, this is silly. Just take the longer route or flat bed the car.

Boomhauer likes this.
  22. If you put on snow chains, we need pictures.

Please.

It will make my day.

It's been a long year.

Thank you.

Eatpies99, iMrMark, subalou1 and 2 others like this.
  23. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    #23 Nuvolari, Nov 22, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
    One of the serious problems that has not yet been spoken about is how your summer rated tires will handle the cold weather. Normally high performance tires below 7 degrees loose all of the elasticity (they become totally hard). This softness is essential for safety and fitting any kind of snow chain or traction strip to the tire would make it almost useless. In addition these traction aids (even if fitted to the correct type of cold weather tires) are only good for very limited and low speeds. The reality is that the only real solution here is to fit correct winter tires. Yes it is expensive but so too is an accident.

There is absolutely no 'temporary' solution that would be correct or safe for your vehicle. A number of people have kindly offered advice here but many unfortunately have no first hand knowledge. I personally live in snow filled Canada, have been racing for 30 years, have ice racing and rally experience, and have worked with tire companies developing tires.

My recommendation is take the longer route avoiding the mountains and do that drive in the summer when the weather is suited to your vehicle.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  24. mjbcswitzerland

mjbcswitzerland Karting

Jan 8, 2008
    I think there is a misconception - it seems everyone thinks I want to drive at 200mph in the hills with or without chains.
    The truth is that I just want to drive home and enjoy the weather and scenery with the knowledge that if something unexpected were ever to happen I could get home safely (even at 20mph), just any many others doing the same trip in non-Ferraris.
    I understand that temperature is relevant and I never drive hard below 12°C.
    The trip is on 35mph roads (that is why it takes 5 hours) and 80% of the time the temperature will be between 9 and 11°C. One hour likely to be between 6°C and 9°C.
    When I get to Switzerland it will be about 2°C on the motorway for the last 2 hours so it sounds more like, if temperature were the main consideration, I should drive the route and flat bed the car on arrival if the tyres no longer worked anymore. ;-)

By the way - once home - the car will be put to its winter sleep until next April-May.

25. LivingthedreamBAB

Jan 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    BRIAN BUTT
    This is quite frankly the dumbest thread I’ve seen on this forum. Tire chains are just a 100% “no “ on a 458. Knock it off! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

axlesofevil likes this.