Reconstruction Bubble Late 80's | FerrariChat

Reconstruction Bubble Late 80's

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Lodewijk, Nov 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lodewijk

Lodewijk Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    Amsterdam, NL
    Full Name:
    Lodewijk
    I'm making a reconstruction of the car bubble in the late 80's, and the Ferrari market in particular.
    Links to articles, opinions, data, advertisments with asking prices etc. are very welcome!
    I'll process everything in an article and a spreadsheet with value development of several models that I will publish here.
    Thanks in advance for your responses!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. C1C7M

C1C7M Karting

Jun 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Fascinating topic—hope this research materializes. GL.

Lodewijk likes this.
  3. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Wish I knew someone who Paid $305K for a Testarossa then

4. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    I bought my '89 328 GTS around '94 with only 900 miles on it. The man I bought it from bought it new. He paid $140,000 for it, I had a copy of the casher's check. He said he bought three of them, not sure what he paid for others. I think the sticker was $85,000.

Lodewijk and Texas Forever like this.
  5. Lodewijk

Lodewijk Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    Amsterdam, NL
    Full Name:
    Lodewijk
    I already have found a lot of articles and advertisments. Ferrarichat is also a treasure of information.
    In the late ‘80s I had a subscription to the German car magazine AutoMotorUndSport. Many Ferraris were offered there with prices. Incredible the prices for contracts for new F40’s for DM and SFr 2 Million+

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Road & Track did an article on this subject in the February 1994 issue.

Lodewijk likes this.
  7. Lodewijk

Lodewijk Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    Amsterdam, NL
    Full Name:
    Lodewijk
    Does anyone have this article?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    I really think this thread needs to be divided into two: (1) OP's mission to focus on the Ferrari market in particular, and (2) what really happened with the KJ220.

Having looked at the video, and read the R&T article with a link to a Jalopnik article, (C&D article wouldn't open for me) my impression is that the KJ220 failed because of economic conditions unfolding at the time (the Bubble) rather than a change in specs from V-12 to V-6 power. As pointed out, Jaguar seemed to have an air-tight contract that buyers entered into knowing that they would be receiving a V-6 turbo engine. Interestingly, the R&T article pointed out that 1,500 deposits were received but demand ended up for only 271 cars (implies 1,229 buyers tried to walk). The Jalopnik article also stated that there was a 31% price increase during the time for the car. What is fuzzy about the story to me is the timing of the contract signings and the price increases. The real kicker seems to be Jaguar's bullet proof contract obligating the buyer to complete the contract. What is ironic is that the V-6 turbo car was probably faster than the V-12 concept car which would have been a positive factor for car enthusiasts. Thus, things must have been pretty bad in 1989 and all ships went lower when the tide ran out.

I commend OP for offering to do research to fill in gaps in Ferrari pricing and hope we can have a long focused thread on that aspect.

Lodewijk likes this.
  9. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    energy88 likes this.