355 - Record timing belt age? | FerrariChat

355 Record timing belt age?

Discussion in '348/355' started by MrJames, Aug 26, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MrJames

MrJames Karting

Apr 12, 2020
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    James Webb
    My car was badly neglected by its previous owners. And while I've allowed it to sit, that's over! I've got the lift and ac in my garage, and I'm working on clearing the maintenance backlog.

To that end, I checked out the service records that came with the car. They are sparse, but it appears my timing belts were last replaced 4-5k miles ago... in March of 2002. So in a few months I'll be able to buy them a drink. I also have a four-cylinder Porsche, and on those, timing belts must be respected. I get that it isn't as big a deal on a 355 as on a 968, but 20 years? I'm curious if anyone has older ones. The service schedule doc was a little confusing, but it seemed like you wouldn't "ever" have to replace the timing belts, as long as you stay off dusty roads. (If yes dusty roads, inspect every 15k, replace every 30k, no time specified.)

My plan is to drive the car about five or ten miles, gently, once I have the brakes back on. Then I'll drop the engine and change the belts. Unless anyone wants to warn that I'm on borrowed time and better not start the engine again at all.

2. Kokose7en

Kokose7en Karting

Dec 5, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    You could try to see if you can look at the timing belt and look for a date code on it. Dayco timing belt. First 5 is the production date of the belt. YYWWDD. For example, 12304196 is 2012, 30th week, day 4. Last 3 numbers is position of belt in mold at the day of production. Maybe it was done later than 2002?

3. Targatime

Targatime Formula 3

Feb 22, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Probably makes sense to start it up and get it to temp so you can document any maintenance needs before the engine-out. Would suck to pull the engine, do the major, get it all back together and find you missed a problem. I would keep the revs low though.

MrJames likes this.
  4. MrJames

MrJames Karting

Apr 12, 2020
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    James Webb
    I was able to see “Ferrari,” “Dayco,” and “181610” (the part number) on one, and nothing on the other. That part number has been superseded, but I wasn’t able to find out when that happened. I do know that when the timing belts were replaced in 2002, it was at a Ferrari dealership.

5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    If you do take the risk ..I would turn the engine by hand and have the belts move off a pulley and in to the straight part ..leave for a few days ..so that it does have the bump in it .. do that a few times to get the position of belts in different spots to hope to alleviate some deformity.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

6. MrJames

MrJames Karting

Apr 12, 2020
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    James Webb
    I get what you mean, but I may have given a false impression. While the car has been sitting for two years due to bad brakes, the engine never went more than maybe three months without being started. It is most recently been started in the last week.