RED 355 Spyder... Raced a White 300zx | Page 3 | FerrariChat

RED 355 Spyder... Raced a White 300zx

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by WhiteOutZ, Jan 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Ooops,almost forgot that I also once owned a Porsche. Guess it wasn't that memorable.:)

2. Chevarri

Chevarri Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2003
    In a rose bush.
    Full Name:
    J'aime
    Taken from Merriam-Webster

Main Entry: 2race
    Function: verb
    Inflected Form(s): raced; rac·ing
    intransitive senses
    1 : to compete in a race
    2 : to go or move at top speed or out of control<--- THATS TOO FUNNY!
    3 : to revolve too fast under a diminished load
    transitive senses
    1 : to engage in a race with
    2 a : to enter in a race b : to drive or ride at high speed c : to transport or propel at maximum speed
    3 : to speed (as an engine) without a working load or with the transmission disengaged

I think most of those can be applied :)

3. WhiteOutZ

WhiteOutZ Rookie

Jan 22, 2004
    Although a few of you did. And for that I'm sorry. At no time did I say Ferrari's were slow. (to do that would be stupid) I was simply making the statement to the individual if he happened to be a member here. We had a small discussion before we raced and he left with a great attitude. I was just trying to make a little humor out of it.

Now in my own defense. A few people here stated something about ricers. I happen to be very anti-rice. What people see as rice varies, and I realize that. But what should be considered rice is fart-pipe hondas, big aluminum wings on Miata's, and even the occasional APC stickers on Mustangs =). Now to say everything from japan is rice, jap-crap, or anything else along those lines is just plain ignorant. Many people only see the "Civic" side of things. Japanese auto engineers have done some amazing things with vehicles (Skyline GTR, Supra, RX-7, Tommy Kaira). Just because a 300ZX or a Supra costs less than ferrari, doesn't mean is a piece of crap. In their own rights, they are amazing cars. There are supra's making 950+ RWHP on stock bottom ends, which is stunning. And that is a result of one thing, engineering. I respect well engineered cars, whether it be a Supra, Porsche 911 Turbo, or a Ferrari 308.

So I'd like to end in thanks to people who did not attack me for what I said. BTW Ferrari's are a big benchmark. What else are people supposed to benchmark against? Vipers, corvettes, mustangs? No, you see those every day. And to the few less mature, or just too egotistical people here that personally attacked me... Thanks, it will just let you down that much more when I kick your ass around BlackHawk this summer. But you know what, my car will never be a Ferrari, and I am FULLY aware of that, unless morphing cars has become an everyday common occurance.

Cheerio

4. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Why would anybody mount a huge after market wing on their car? Beats me...
    :)

And why would anybody drive a Honda and think that's a cool race car? Beats me again...

I love rice with curry chicken.

5. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Hey,all I'm saying is that a Ferrari doesn't have to prove ANYTHING. Has nothing to prove, It is what it is. Not what it's not. A Ferrari is a Ferrari. Anything else...is not.

6. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    I knew a guy in Indianapolis that moved here from Nevada and up until then he had an NSX as his only car. Well, an NSX really is not happy in the snow so he bought a white Lamborghini LM-002 as his winter beater to get through the snow. It was a really interesting truck to experience when he let me drive it. This was before the Hummers were really popular, so when we pulled into the gas station people thought that Rambo had just arrived. :D

7. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Yeah,those things are cool. A tad 'dated',perhaps,but,who cares! I'm sure they could be 'modernized' a little.:) Maybe thats what makes them so cool...besides a V12!!!!

8. DVOgoalie25

DVOgoalie25 Rookie

Jan 11, 2004
    Evanston
    Full Name:
    Brendon
    As all of you don't know, seeing as I am a rookie, I am only 15 and don't yet have a driver's license. RRRRRR....... But I am already making plans for my first car, and some of you out there may deem me a ricer, but let me say, when i am done, I will be able to beat all of the civics with an exhaust and a wing who say they can beat a ferrari, so just so you know, ill watch ur back, they'll have to get through me to get to you.

9. DVOgoalie25

DVOgoalie25 Rookie

Jan 11, 2004
    Evanston
    Full Name:
    Brendon
    Plus you guys are right a ferrari doesn't have to prove anything and i respect those cars for that, i would love nothing more than to cruise with a ferrari, but challenging it just makes you look stupid

10. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I think I like this guy! Yes,I didn't know how old you have to be to get a Drivers License,now. My Daughter is almost 13,but,she said that now she has to wait until she's 18 to get one. I got a permit when I was 15,and my first car,a '66 GTO when I was also 15. 335 Horsies stock. There really weren't any "ricers" back when I was your age. Honda Civics,Toyota Corolla's,and they were super junky back then. Rust buckets.Slow.Ugly.Small.Purely Cheap transportation.Cheap to buy. Cheap to use and maintain. And,right about that same time-'74 or '75. We had the Arab Oil embargo. And,there was No Gas! Or,very long lines and "Rationing". A big political,B.S.,unfunny,unnecessary Joke... BTW...I try to include my 6 year old son in some (but,not all) of the Ferrari events. He's always loved cars since he was born,(it's in his genes...nothing he can do about it!:) ) But,It's pretty cool that he's already collecting small Ferrari's (Hotwheels,little ones,and 1:18) Pictures,Books,etc...And,he knows all the FChat guys,and who's car is who's. He loves to watch Schumi and Rubens. He'll make a great Tifosi some day...with his early start.:)

11. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Dear Alanlamo,

Originally Posted by allanlambo
    See Tifosi, this is

were<spelling>

you prove your stupidity on several counts. If you are the Tifosi you claim to be, you would firstly, undoubtedly notice that the F50 is not stock, from its wheels, brakes,suspension and powertrain. If just looking at it

doesnt<contractions require an apostrophe ie: doesn't>

tip you off, hearing it, and even seeing all the stickers should have clued you in.

2nd, if you were half the track racer you think you are,

youd<contraction - you'd>

of <have is the correct word>

clearly noticed that F50 is driven much harder than the Murci. I already noted on another thread that the Murci driver had no prior experience in the car.

<And you, of course, being the level headed fountain of unbiased information, are clearly to be trusted as undeniable truth.>

You can clearly watch him go completely around

ever<spelling>

curb, while the f50 driver hits them straight on. The Murci driver was told to take it easy. I have all the Best Motoring vids, and they are meant for entertainment, thats all, and are clearly made to favor certain cars. I have one, where a Nsx obliterates a 360 modena also.

3rd. Even if the F50 could beat the Murci, it cost 3x the price. If you compare the Lambos to their correct counterparts, such as Murci vs 575M, or Gallardo to 360, the Lambos not only beat the Ferrari's, they OBLITERATE THEM.

Cars are generally compared by genre not price. To compare a front engined gt (575M) to a mid-engined super car(Murci), as you profess to be equitable, is reaching the heights of idiocy. Do you also feel the need to compare your Lambo, by price range, to say a Rolls?

Your conduct, demeanor and behavior are surely an embarassment to Lambo officianados. Maybe that's the reason you spend so much of your time here on FerrariChat? Your Labmo people probably don't love and respect you as much as we do. (8->}

Kind regards,
    Bill

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks Bill for taking a stand. But don't worry, being called an idiot by you know whom, doesn't really bother me. So I'm not even sure he is an embarassment for his group: Not to start another flame war, but the few Lambo guys I've met so far fit the stereotype of the gold chain/no brain. I hope there are some other ones.

Punctuation and grammar I wouldn't hold against anybody. I do typos myself quite often. Comes with the territory.

As far as that video is concerned, I'm still puzzled: Allanlambo didn't convince me with his arguments. And I'm not talking about the F50 here, my question lies with the Murci vs the NSX. How is it possible that the Murcie struggles that much? Is that car really such crap? That's not to belittle the NSX, but let's face it: That car uses 15 years older technology and costs a fraction.

If I were a serious Murcie owner, I would not just use the keyboard to defend 'my' honor, but organize a track event with a NSX owner and see what really goes on here. I would like to see those results.

13. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Hello Andreas,

Regarding the Lambo cars, have you ever heard of Countach's, Diablo's, Murcielago's or Gallardo's being competitive (much less winning) in a race where there were cars of ANY other make present? I can't remember one. Were there any at Daytona? Will there be any at LeMans? Maybe allanlamo can illustrate these points for us.

I personally, am not one who believes that any one marque/model is the absolute pinnacle of automotive development for more than a short period at a time. It is a see-saw situation, someone builds something great then the others develop their cars to surpass that one. It is much easier to have a target and then develop, with a mind towards besting that target.

In the car and racing business, this is the natural order. Someone develops something, then all of the interested parties reverse engineer it (to understand their approach to the issue) and apply their own perspectives to the problem and try to build a better mousetrap.

Because someone can write a symphony, basing it on the music theory laid down by Beethoven, and then, having a model, being able to take it a bit further, doesn't make him a better composer than Ludwig.

Bill

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Jon Kofod had it made crystal clear that Lambos don't have much of a racing pedigree. And I've watched them fail in F1.

Nevertheless I'm puzzled by the mighty Murcie struggling against a NSX. Yes developments go up and down, but in general all cars get better and better as technology improves. And 15 years is an eternity in the car industry. And the price difference between a Murcie and a NSX is horrendous.

If it is true that the NSX is basically on equal footing with the Murcie in its ability to track (read handling), then why on earth would anybody want to buy a Murcie? Unless to be a show off. There is no superior technology nor racing pedigree. So what's the point?

Still I can't believe this is not a clever Honda marketing plot. It just can't be.

15. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    I keep waiting one to challenge the other to meet after school on the playground and have this settled the old fashion way........

16. dpatel

dpatel Rookie

Dec 6, 2003
    Carol Stream, IL
    Full Name:
    Dan Patel
    The most amazing thing about Ferraris is that they dont even have to be moving to get my heart (and many many other's) beating faster. The sound of the engine makes it beat even faster. And if you get behind the wheel and rev it high through the first three or four gears, its heart stopping. There are many cars that are faster (modified and stock) and cheaper, but IMO, no car can come close to the excitement that comes with seeing, hearing and driving a Ferrari.

17. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    So anyway, I was watching Speed Channel last night and on comes "Victory by Design: Lamborghini"

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Are you for real or just kidding?
    Cause I made that joke a while ago on FChat. Now I'd be really blown away if they actually had made that show. They never won anything, did they?

19. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Well,as much as I do like Lambo's. Can't really see where they would have enough content to do a Victory by Design. No offense at all to Lambo. But,I believe that I can count all of the cars models that they've made in the past 40 years on one hand and a couple fingers.:) And,is there any racing heritage? I would,seriously,like to know that. Will have to keep an eye out for when it comes on again.

BTW....For my B-Day tommorow,It's "MONSTER JAM" at Allstate Arena,with me boy!!! :)

20. dpatel

dpatel Rookie

Dec 6, 2003
    Carol Stream, IL
    Full Name:
    Dan Patel
    The most amazing thing about Ferraris is that they dont even have to be moving to get my heart (and many many other's) beating faster. The sound of the engine makes it beat even faster. And if you get behind the wheel and rev it high through the first three or four gears, its heart stopping. There are many cars that are faster (modified and stock) and cheaper, but IMO, no car can come close to the excitement that comes with seeing, hearing and driving a Ferrari.

21. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    This is an entertaining thread, and reminds me of a related experience I had last fall. I was driving my Mangusta on route 14 outside Barrington when a young kid in some type of "tuner" ride pulled up next to me at the stop light at Kelsey Road. "Well, watcha got?", he yelled at me, revving his 4 banger. I almost laughed, but when the light changed I gave it a pretty good boot. The 'Goose has a Ford 302 and the same ZF gearbox as the original GT40, and it's pretty quick. I pulled away from the kid easily, but my motor mounts are bad, and hard upshifts in higher gears cause the drive pulley to start eating its way into the cabin, so I had to ease off. Rear quarter visibility from the Mangusta is poor, and I didn't see exactly where he was, but he was nowhere near me. After I backed off he shot past leaving a trail of little rust chips and exhaust smoke.

Around lunch time I took my daily driver over for a sandwich at the beef joint in Fox River Grove. While waiting for my order I heard a kid telling an animated story about how he "smoked a Ferrari" that morning. I looked in the parking lot and, sure enough, it was Banzai Billy. His tale was amazing. He said he had left this Ferrari in the dust. "Not even close", he said. Then he said the "Ferrari guy" followed him and asked to see his "Tuner". He was really in some kind of fantasy zone. But his "peeps" were hanging on his every word. I just smiled, grabbed my Italian beef sandwich and went home to change the oil in the 'Goose. I suspect this kind of thing happens all the time. Heroes in their own minds!!

22. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Man,I love those Detomaso Mangusta's. Pantera's.too. I'd really like to see that Baby sometime. I Love the way that the back opens up. And,you can build those Ford engines up very easily,(and inexpensively). Saw a Totally HotRodded Pantera,about a year ago. It sounded more like a Funny Car than an Exotic.:)

Usually when I get some kid who asks me to race,I say "Sure. What kind of car do you want to race me with?" And,they'll say whatever car they are in. And I'll say "THAT! You want to race me in THAT! My Grandma,(or Niece) has a car like THAT!!! HaHaHaHaHa!!!!" Then I let them take off.

23. DVOgoalie25

DVOgoalie25 Rookie

Jan 11, 2004
    Evanston
    Full Name:
    Brendon
    Yeah, your right about those days, at least back then the real muscle didn't have to watch out for all of the "sophomoric" ricers, and thats the way it should be. I don't think that "the man" has changed the law about the driver's license age. Believe me, I am all over it when the topic comes up. They made a "compromise" law which I actually agree with, that you can only have one other person in the car under 18 with you for the first 6 months that you have your license(excluding family members). Beats Walking, eh? lol I think that's awesome that you got your kids involved in Ferraris, maybe that will motivate them to go to college so they can own one someday!

24. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    :) Like an episode from 2 fast 2 furious.

Love that avatar of yours Daryl!

25. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Andreas, you mean you haven't seen "VBD:Lambo"?! It's phenomenal, I'm telling you. The first 20 minutes show a lot of that good old black and white footage of WWII-era tractors racing through the fields, laying down nice even furrows. Real "Farm and Fleet" kind of stuff. This is followed by a re-enactment of the legendary falling out between Lamborghini and Ferrari, the one where they duelled with sabres. (Little known fact: Enzo lost his left arm in that duel, to be replaced with a length of exhaust pipe. This prosthetic would eventually serve as the inspiration for the Tubi exhaust, and tragically, Enzo was never to be photographed in short sleeves again.) Later, they do a nice interview with a mechanic, sipping a cappuccino, discussing the simplicities of a tuneup for the Countach. "It costa you money, but I'ma worth it, no?!" My favorite part, though, is probably the "F1 Era", known also to history buffs as "June of '93". I had forgotten how close they came to almost qualifying for some of those races! If that isn't enough, it culminates with a grande finale where a Murcielago races a Ferrari F50 and, well, I don't want to spoil the ending for you. You'll just have to tune in next time they show "Victory by Design: Lamborghini".