Red Bull Global Rally Cross Probably Ending | FerrariChat

Red Bull Global Rally Cross Probably Ending

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by trumpet77, Apr 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
  2. trumpet77 likes this.
  3. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Yawn. Stupidest motorsport event I have ever been to. Left during the first hour. Couldn't pay me to go back.

4. Now, on the other hand, give me some monster trucks, or, better yet, a good tractor pull......oh baby....... :D

5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  6. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    GuyIncognito likes this.
  7. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    if you look at the "tracks" they ran on, it kinda makes sense...Port of LA, Jacksonville military base, parking lots of stadiums, etc.

and yeah, Avenatti. lolz.

8. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I had hoped to make it to one of their events. I think they would be pretty cool to see in person.

The European Rally Cross series has some pretty big names in it.

9. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I'm a SCCA road racer so don't know much about RC. SCCA has quite a good RC program. Small space Rally is a good format especially for amateurs because it provides some rally thrill on a safer more controlled course. There is way less likelihood of a Robert Kubica crash on controlled RC courses and the environmentalists don't get their undies in a bunch for cars ripping through the forest.

10. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    i think something like this would play better in the US. I saw these guys at St. Petersburg last year and they were the crowd favorite. Super fun to watch and they gave out free energy drinks to everyone in the paddock :)

11. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    I agree, the SCCA Rallycross program seems to be growing as a fun way to get out on the dirt and drive, but I don't think there is any spectator base, which is what I was talking about with RBGRC.

12. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
  13. Oh, well then.Where're they next? I'll get my airline tix and make my reservations.... :rolleyes::p:)

14. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    It works very well in Europe. Different public, I guess. The cars are awesome and accelerate quicker than a F1 !

15. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    Different venues. The row housing of Atlantic City, NJ leaves a lot to be desired as a backdrop.

16. Adrian Thompson

Adrian Thompson Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Beverly Hills, Mi
    Full Name:
    Adrian Thompson
    The refer to it as 'Global Rally cross' or European style rally cross, but it's not a patch on what happens over the pond. I was really excited when it was launched over here, but they have the most ridiculous Micky mouse little tracks that are barely bigger than an autocross track and it always made for ****ty racing. Having been to several British Rally Cross Grands Prix at Brands and many club events at Lydden hill i can tell you what they were passing off as the Red Bull Global Rally Cross was a poor imitation of what it could, should be. Hit up YouTube and watch some of the Euro events, much much better tracks and racing. I think the issue was the organizers/promoters got sucked into the rabbit hole that any new event must be down town friendly which limited where they could build tracks.