? red light on on dash--car won't go into gear | FerrariChat

? red light on on dash--car won't go into gear

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by beckertb, May 19, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. beckertb

beckertb Rookie

Feb 28, 2004
    Beaumont TX
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Although this seems like an incredibly stupid question, I can not find a picture of the warning lights on the dash in the manual included with the car.

2002 Spyder Cambio. 8k miles. Started the car, dropped the top. There is a red light on in the center of the dash that looks like the top/trunk of a car with a 45 degree line projecting towards the back. The car will not go into gear--forward or reverse. Top goes up and down fine. Engine is running fine. Started and shut off 3 times--no change. What is this?

TIA

Ben

2. The Palerider

The Palerider Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2008
    Miami, Florida
    Full Name:
    Michael
    It seems like the sensor for the convertible top is incorrectly reading that the top is not all the way down or all the way raised. As a safety measure the car will not go into gear when the top is actually not all the way up or down, so as to avoid damage. (I do understand that you are actually putting the top all the way down)

Have you checked in the manual under the convertible top section? If it does not cover how to clear the fault, you may have to tow to a shop to have it reset.

3. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    It sure sounds like the trunk-open sensor. Check to see if the trunk is fully closed.

4. BJS

BJS Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    Central FL and SW MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Stephenson
    Hey, Ben, what was the cause of the problem??

5. ddemuro

ddemuro Formula 3

Nov 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Doug
    When I worked at Maserati Denver, we had a couple of cars come through with this issue. The cause tended to be just like The Palerider said - the top or trunk sensor had malfunctioned, so the car didn't think the top/trunk was closed, when in reality it was. Unfortunately, this sensor prevented the car from going into gear, thus needlessly disabling it.

Too many electronics!

6. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    return e-brake to off position?

7. beckertb

beckertb Rookie

Feb 28, 2004
    Beaumont TX
    Full Name:
    Ben
    I have tried to open/close the top a number of times (flawless operation), open/close the trunk (the trunk light on the back fo the diagram--you know the one, that lights up when the doors are opened or closed, hood opened/closed, etc works fine), the light stays illuminated. I guess I'll have to truck this thing over to the dealership to have it checked out.

Everyone is right--too many electronics.......

Thanks for your help.

Ben

8. beckertb

beckertb Rookie

Feb 28, 2004
    Beaumont TX
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Tried that--ebrake on, ebrake off.........

still illuminated........

9. racer

racer Karting
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 17, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Try disconnecting the battery for a few seconds, then try it again if the warning lamp is still on and the car wont start you will need to truck to the closest shop with an sd2 or sd3 to see what the problem could be.

10. Josh Ross

Josh Ross Rookie

Nov 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Joshua Angus Ross