Red wine | Page 22 | FerrariChat

Red wine

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by schwoo, Feb 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    2005 Beaune 1er Cru "Les Bressandes" Albert Morot at Troquet Boston last night. Sensational. Best French wine cellar in Boston.

adc likes this.
  2. Jim P

Jim P Rookie

Jan 26, 2021
    Full Name:
    Jim P
    I'm having trouble finding Dominus. but can find Dominus Napanook and it's 1/4 of the price or less of Dominus. I realize there will be a difference between the 2 but is Napanook a good introduction to the line of wines?

3. tgee's458

tgee's458 Karting

Jan 20, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Teg
    Try K and L wines, San Francisco …..

dustman likes this.
  4. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
  5. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    They are fantastic!

6. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I convinced a local trattoria owner in Sorrento to allow me to buy some organic red wine to take with me after our meal. He had just gotten it from Sicily. Enjoyed it overlooking the Gulf of Naples.

As he said: "no headache!" He was right.
    View attachment 1714230

Attached Files:

Pis7a2020, Dai Baracca and dustman like this.
  7. adc

adc Karting

Feb 1, 2009
    You can research tasting notes at Cellar Tracker. Maybe someone does comparison between the vintages and wines.
    To assist you in finding the wines- try wine-searcher and pay for "pro" subscription. You can use it for free but the "pro" gets better results.

Jim P and Scudmsl like this.
  8. adc

adc Karting

Feb 1, 2009
  9. tgee's458

tgee's458 Karting

Jan 20, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Teg
    Some really fine wines! What vintage Krugs? How many people?

10. adc

adc Karting

Feb 1, 2009
    12 people. We always share with staff. 1996 Krug and NV Krug (he had in cellar for about 10 years). 96 Krug is so good. The 2000 Margaux and 2000 Pavie were phenomenal. Restaurant is rated 1 star but I think they were a bit off that night. I know it is a difficult time in restaurant business.

11. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    My go-to apps as well. CellarTracker to inventory my wine, read recent drinking notes, amateur tasting notes (mostly) and track auction values. Wine-Searcher (pro) to verify auction/wholesale/retail values, drinking windows, professional ratings, and availability. I have had very good luck with Pluckywines.com for many recent purchases fwiw.

Jim P likes this.
  12. JAYKAY

JAYKAY Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 4, 2009
    Naperville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jim K
    My last Bordeaux shipment had six 2015 Les Fortes de Latour and three 2011 Grand Vin de Chateau Latour. I’m looking forward to a Grand Vin, but it will be a long wait yet.

JK

Image Unavailable, Please Login

poljav, beng and Steelton Keith like this.
  13. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Jim K 8 years maybe on the Grand Vin?

JAYKAY likes this.
  14. JAYKAY

JAYKAY Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 4, 2009
    Naperville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jim K
    I’m guessing so. 2011 was the last of their en primeur sales (2014) and they waited until 2019 to release the 2012, because it was “ready to drink” by their standard. Despite their feeling, I’m going to let these sit. For a younger experience there is always Les Fortes de Latour. The 2010 we opened recently was fantastic but still will improve for some time. I just don’t feel badly about popping one of those early.

JK

15. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    poljav and Stephanie like this.
  16. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Soulsea...there's a Champagne thread in this section...pleased to read your tasting notes

17. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    it’s always interesting how different peoples’ palates are. Latour for me is a “don’t touch until 25 years” wine, and even then it’s only to open one bottle and check in on it. 30-40 years min for that wine for me (for good vintages, which is about all they have nowadays). Which is explains why my last Bordeaux EP purchases were the 2005 vintage.

18. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019

Haven’t posted In a while. This was pretty good, but better the second day after opening, which was surprising. I used a standard air remover/preserver, nothing special. Next time around, I’ll let it open for at least an hour before drinking.

As you can expect, pronounced aromas and flavors, mostly black fruit. A bit of yeast in the secondary, which I enjoy, and a nice finish. I prefer Saddleback over this, but it wasn’t bad.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

19. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    Happy birthday!

Pis7a2020 and soulsea like this.
  20. JAYKAY

JAYKAY Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 4, 2009
    Naperville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jim K
    Your perspective is really appreciated, and experience with first growths is limited. I’ll likely open on of the 2011s around 2030, but leave the other two for “another time.” On a similar note, I was just offered three bottles of 2005 that the Chateau is offering as a library release in early 2022. I won’t be cracking into those for a fair while.

Have you tried the Les Fortes, and if so what are your thoughts on optimal age for those? The 2010 we opened recently seemed youthful but not immature.

JK

21. JAYKAY

JAYKAY Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 4, 2009
    Naperville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jim K
    Pis7a2020 likes this.
  22. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I’ve not drank more than a few Les Forts, and they have really amped up that wine over the past 20 years as they make a draconian selection for the grand vin, and thus end up with grapes that previously were Latour in the Les Forts. (That theme is consistent for several of the firsts since the early 90’s and thus their second wines have become substantial on their own)

The ones I drank were from before 2000 and iirc ~10 years was fine on those. I’m not sure about more recent vintages, but I’d guess they go an easy 20 before getting secondary and tertiary flavors.

23. Stephanie

Stephanie F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 23, 2006
    The Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephanie
    I do love Cristal. Happy belated birthday!

soulsea likes this.
  24. Dai Baracca

Dai Baracca Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    Haven’t had one in a while. Yeah it’s a youngin but as I just got it not too long ago I wanted to taste it straight away and note it down. Will revisit in a few

beng and Scudmsl like this.
  25. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon