Red wine | Page 30 | FerrariChat

Red wine

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by schwoo, Feb 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    82 Margaux. Wow. Good column by Asimov is yesterday's NYT on Beaujolais, with a dozen recommendations

2. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Hi all!
    The wife and I are doing a trip to France in late October ( 25-27th ) and will be in the Bordeaux area visiting her aunt. as part of the trade to see relatives, I won a day of winery visits- we are booked at Laffite and Mouton as well as Latour. Wondering if anyone has any connections with Petrus? Her aunt lives over towards Bergerac and we go through Pomerol....so thought it would be a good stop... thanks for any input.

Tom

3. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
  4. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
  5. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    The 2000 Leoville Barton was a very pleasant bottle. It had been properly stored since I bought it probably 2004. I opened it about an hour prior to dinner, cork was perfect, poured a taste. A first, the tannins were way ahead of the fruit. Beautiful color, no browning. I ran a light under the bottle and very little sediment was thrown, so I did not decant. At table, the wine developed into a lovely, soft, totally in balance claret. Not life changing, but delicious and first rate accompaniment to the Boeuf Wellington. A great birthday bottle. Happy I found this old soldier at the bottom of the cave. Cheers!

6. Bebs

Bebs Formula Junior

Jul 12, 2010
    London, UK
    Impossible to get into Petrus, even for the wine traders. Sorry.

7. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Spirot. I have some info as Bebs above. I tried just prior to Covid... even had a referral, and my wife's family from Bdx. no dice.

8. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Thanks for the insight. We have a "friend" - more of an Acquaintance, nevertheless, he's interceded and I think we'll have lunch with the family, the problem is it's on a wrong day. So we'll have to drive from Paulliac to Pomerol within 2.5 hours... not sure we can make that.

9. JAYKAY

JAYKAY Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 4, 2009
    Naperville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jim K
    Hey Keith, apologies for the delay. I have been on the road for work and haven’t been combing the forum as much as usual.

The 2005 Lynch Bages was still great. As you say, not life altering but a really great bottle. It had a great deal of the characteristics that I associate with great wines from Pauillac, including that pencil shaving / graphite note. It was reserved, but showed nice fruit.

Sadly, it was the only one I had in the cellar.

JK

Steelton Keith likes this.
  10. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Jim. This weekend I'm going to see if I have any of the '05 Bdx left. I'm the world's worst inventory keeper; one of these days I'll have to figure out what I have. When I discovered that 2000 Leoville Barton, next to it was an '83 Burgundy I had no idea I had and no recollection of acquiring it.

11. Nbatra

Nbatra Karting

Mar 26, 2019
    Piedmont, CA
    Full Name:
    Nick B
    LVP488, JAYKAY and surfwolf like this.
  12. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Nbatra likes this.
  13. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
  14. JAYKAY

JAYKAY Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 4, 2009
    Naperville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jim K
    Great addition! Was that from the Château’s recent library release?

JK

15. Nbatra

Nbatra Karting

Mar 26, 2019
    Piedmont, CA
    Full Name:
    Nick B
    Yes - they also have 2010 about to be released

JAYKAY likes this.
  16. JAYKAY

JAYKAY Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 4, 2009
    Naperville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jim K
    Excellent. I picked up 2009 from that release. Haut Brian just did the same thing and I grabbed 2010 from them. I’ll have to look out for the 2010 Latour.

JK

Nbatra likes this.
  17. Dai Baracca

Dai Baracca Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
  18. tgee's458

tgee's458 Karting

Jan 20, 2012
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Teg
    Did you enjoy? Still a little young, it is a second label for Promontory which is Harlan’s newest project…I have the 2012 in the cellar waiting to share…

19. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Scudmsl likes this.
  20. Dai Baracca

Dai Baracca Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2007
    NY
    Full Name:
    SB
    it was a powerful wine, it did need more time in the bottle, should have guessed it was a Harlan project. would have to try it again ;)

21. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Had several great meals/ service and some lovely bottles during last week in Las Vegas. We drank two terrific red burgundies. If you can find wines made by the DUJAC family (pere et fils) grab it.

JAYKAY likes this.
  22. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    Dujac has long been a favorite of mine, iirc they use whole stems/clusters (like DRC and like Beaux Frères Oregon winery iirc). That "sappy" element makes them perfect for my palate. Which vineyards did you have?

23. JAYKAY

JAYKAY Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 4, 2009
    Naperville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jim K
    Domaine Dujac makes some great wines. If you haven’t seen this YouTube channel, it’s worth checking out. He recommends Dujac fairly regularly. His theoretical wine list picks are great.

https://m.youtube.com/c/TroysTastingRoom

JK

24. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Thanks guys. Freddy, the Somm at Le Cirque recommended a 2015 Chambolle Musigny. It was his last bottle and he told me he was having difficulty getting replacements. He said if he sees the DUJAC name, he buys it. At Picasso, we had a '17 Gevry-Chambertin. Forgive me but I do not remember the vineyard designations, but they were both 1er Crus as I recall. We had rabbit as the main at Le Cirque and a Veal Chop at Picasso. Two sensational meals. Cheers!

25. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Completely outside the bounds of “Wine” on this sub, but what a most wonderful beer to have discovered at a wine bar a few days ago in the Pacific Northwest…

Image Unavailable, Please Login