Redesigned Fuse Block | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Redesigned Fuse Block

Discussion in '308/328' started by TurtleFarmer, Apr 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    Sent you an e-mail

2. johnny308

johnny308 Karting

Dec 3, 2011
    Greenfield, MA. USA
    I would like to have a set !!

3. greg288

greg288 Karting

May 28, 2007
    Received mine today.
    What a work of art!
    If this isn't THE ultimate fuse box for your 308, I don't know what is.
    As others have said, Jason is great to deal with, delivery is fast, packed really well, and pictures don't do the part justice.
    Extremely happy and worth every penny.:D

4. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Got mine today. Looks fantastic. Even comes with instructions! Very professional. Thanks Jason!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

5. Tvjake2

Tvjake2 Karting

Jun 28, 2017
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom J.
    I just finished the installation of this fuse block yesterday. Drove the car today. Works fine. My fast clicking turn signal is now a regular speed turn signal, that was a bonus. Besides being a work of art this is pretty easy to install. It took a bit over an hour to do it. I could have done it in 15 minutes if it were my second time doing it. The windows "seem" faster although I should probably clean the dried goop off the lift cables anyway. All of the connections are tight, no loose connections. I had some questions and got responses within 12 hours...bonus.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Dal308

Dal308 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2014
    Coppell, TX
    Full Name:
    Dude
    No problem install for me also......correct fuses pre-installed including spares.

7. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    How did you route the wires that connect to the upper edge of the board? There is no cutout in the plexiglass base to feed these through so it seems the alternative is to feed through the gap between the plexiglass and the circuit board. This seems not ideal given the number of sharp projections from the soldered components?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

8. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Anymore available? 308gt4

9. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Here is a picture of the original board showing the cutout through which the upper wires are routed.

10. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    So this new block doesn't have that space in back?

11. Tvjake2

Tvjake2 Karting

Jun 28, 2017
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom J.
    I did not have that problem. The wires fit over The top the same as they did on the original block.

12. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    No it is mounted to a flat piece of clear plexiglass. On a GT4 this sits flush against the back wall of the glovebox so there is no gap through which to thread the upper wires that I can see. I added some spacers to create a gap but then there is not enough length in the wires to reach the terminals. I may try drilling some holes in the plexiglass, route the wires between the board and the plexiglass and zip tie the upper wires in place so they cannot chafe against the circuit board.

Tvjake2 likes this.
  13. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    I think this is a difference in mounting between a GT4 and GTB/S. Are your fuse boxes in the glovebox?

14. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    @kiwiokie Can you post a picture? I haven't seen the fuse mount back plate for a GT4 and had assumed that it had a similar cutout to the GTB/GTS (see below)

15. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
  16. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    This is what I'd gone by in assuming that the GT4 and the GTS/GTB (carb, 2V, QV) all were same: this is the car diagram page from Ricambi for the GT4 (table 119):

17. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Hi Jason, no there is no cutout. It mounts against the back wall of the glove box which is completely flat. Also the wires enter the glovebox through a cutout in the metal floor that is folded into a shallow wall which makes it quite tricky to connect the lower wires with the spacer I added to make room for the upper wires.

18. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    and that is because the terminals are twisted 90 degrees to you isee. Interesting and good to know. Still a nice board , need to figure a tweek for the GT4

19. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    John,
    I can't quite tell where you added the spacers from the picture, but I could modify the base polycarb to have built in "spacers" for the GT4 versions. This would basically give you about 4.3mm of gap underneath the polycarb base to run your wires. Effectively, it'd be identical to the gap underneath the original Ferrari ABS fuse mounting block (that gap ranges from 3.9mm to 5mm, assuming your original fuse block plastic "sags" like mine).

Would that work? You can see below the current design (308 GTS/GTB) and my proposed new design (308 GT4). This will raise the top of the entire assembly by 3mm.

Let me know and I'll send you a new base plate to try out. (And my sincere apologies for not catching the GT4 mounting difference; clearly the parts catalog diagrams are not right.)
    Jason
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

20. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    No worries Jason. I knew this was not going to be plug-and-play. I will take some photos of the spacers and the slot in the glovebox through which the wires enter next time I am at my shop. The spacers I made are basically identical to what you propose below.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

21. johnny308

johnny308 Karting

Dec 3, 2011
    Greenfield, MA. USA
    Hellloooooo,

Please where is this project? On/off ?
    I would like a set.

22. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    Hey all,
    Thanks to everyone for your patience. Thought it'd be good to give a quick update on this project:
    • The first run of 10 boards sold out in about 2 weeks (many many thanks to all those that signed up early and special thanks for both the design feedback and the positive words about the design)
    • After a very long wait, it looks like a fresh set of boards are finally shipped out from the manufacturer. It took way longer than it should have (lots of back and forth w/the mfg on that one), but I'm expecting to have new stock (20 boards) in house by end of next week.
    • For those of you with Right Hand Drive cars, good news: we will have a set of 10 RHD boards in stock in the same timeframe (thanks to @rjlloyd for asking/pushing for this design).
    • On the cover design, it's still in progress. There are two candidate designs that are in iteration and I've attached the teaser pix below. They are rough (rapid 3D print w/large nozzle), but give an idea of shape. Ultimately, the plan is still to be 3D printed, but with much better resolution (and I'm happy to provide the print files to anyone that wants to print their own once it's finalized).
    I've got a wait list for the boards from the past months (thanks for your patience!) but should have plenty for new folks that are interested.

Thanks again,
    Jason
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

rjlloyd likes this.
  23. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    No image

24. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    @absostone hmmm....try again? I'm seeing the images in my browser. Anyone else having issues?

25. built2grind

built2grind Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2016
    The Peninsula
    Full Name:
    ANDREW
    Jason
    I can't see the images either, both on the app and web

absostone likes this.