Redesigned Fuse Block | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Redesigned Fuse Block

Discussion in '308/328' started by TurtleFarmer, Apr 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
  2. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
  3. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Can see first one. Second says need permission to view.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

newark_308 likes this.
  4. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Hmm so the cover is to conceal the connections

5. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
  6. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    Honestly, I'm not entirely sure the goal of the cover, other than there were a number of requests for covers :)

From an electrical and safety perspective, the cover isn't required or necessary. It's already located in an area that avoids traffic and moisture--and the dash cover is already enough protection for the entire assembly. The only environmental factor that it's subjected to is heat (in a modern car, the dash area has the highest thermal design requirements in the entire vehicle b/c of the solar load). While the fuse cover actually makes heat dissipation a bit worse, the whole intention of the new design was to eliminate electrical resistance and, hence, heat generation from board itself. So I don't have any worries about the cover causing thermal issues (and the cover itself will be printed in material that should be able to handle the heat generated by the solar load).

So my goals were more subjective:
    - Something that aesthetically trims out the area in a neat and tidy way
    - A flat surface to affix a label that describes the fuse ratings and functionality

Both of the designs will support a fuse label. The Closed design is very clean and trim--effectively hiding the functionality of the fuse board beneath it. The Open design offers a bit more aesthetic interest while still cleaning up the look a bit. The Open design also allows for fuse replacement without removing the cover (altho it's still a bit easier with the cover removed).

7. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    For me retaining the original covers is what I was after. Not sure if it matters anymore. I like the second one more

8. gte619n

gte619n Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Evan Ruff
    I would love one! Perfect winter project.

9. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
  10. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Slot in floor of glovebox lit from below is only 3cm deep and hidden behind a wall 1.5cm high.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
  12. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    looks ok still needs a cover i believe

13. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Spacers that I used to make room for upper wires. I need to remove these as they pushed the board so far away that I could not get the lower wires onto the spade connectors on the board.

14. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    so What is the solution from turtlefarmer? Will the newer GT4 blocks be plug and play?

15. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    I expect he will need some time to digest these photos as the location is very different from a GTS/GTB. I am going to see if my upper cables have enough slack to route around the sides and up the middle to avoid the sharp legs of the circuit board. Stay tuned.

16. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    John,
    Super helpful! Definitely see the issue on the RHS with the collision on the bottom wiring connectors. It's super tight in that glove box..wow.

Few questions:
    - What thickness are your black spacers?
    - With the original fuse blocks, did the top wires snake underneath the gap between the block plastic and the mounting base plate?
    - If you removed your black spacers, would the bottom wiring connectors be able to connect? If so, how much clearance before it wouldn't fit anymore?

I'm pretty sure the new bottom polycarb plate that I'm working on will provide room for the wires to pass beneath AND not push the overall height up as much as your workaround--my only concern is whether it will still collide on the RHS with those bottom wiring connectors. I should hopefully have that bottom plate out to you in the next few days.

I'm also still evaluating trying to rotate those bottom wiring connectors to reduce the overall height as well--but that will take a lot longer to sort out.

Thanks,
    Jason

17. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    With the board removed I was able to get a better measurement on this slot. The slot is 22mm deep and the wall is 17mm high. So for ease of access to the lower connectors they ideally need to be less than 22mm from the mounting face of the polycarbonate base. The factory box measures 20mm.

Even without a spacer the outer edge of the lower connectors are 28mm from the mounting face. The spacer I used was 6.6mm thick giving a total distance of 34.6mm which was no bueno.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
  19. newark_308

newark_308 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Newark DE
    Full Name:
    Glenn Frenck
    absostone likes this.
  20. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    As far as the GT4 install goes Jason kindly sent me a replacement polycarbonate base with shorter standoffs and new hardware. I was able to get it installed in the stock position after bending the lip of the floor opening from 90 to 45 degrees. Have not done an electrical test yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

miahshodan likes this.
  21. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    @kiwiokie Thanks so much for help (and your patience) as we sorted out how to support the earlier versions of the GT4. For all future GT4 owners interested in this new fuse block design, you should thank John for his help and guidance on the base plate redesign :)

@newark_308 The new fuse blocks are back in stock!!!!! I just sent you a PM about the details.

For others that are interested in purchasing, send me a PM ([email protected]). We've got 20 in stock (actually 15, since some are already spoken for). Also, thanks to @rjlloyd, we've also got a new design that specifically supports the right hand drive models. We didn't fabricate as many of the RHD versions but for now we've got 'em.

miahshodan and rjlloyd like this.
  22. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Ok so what was the price again and What is the deal with the stock covers?

23. rjlloyd

rjlloyd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Richard Lloyd
    Was going to wait until the weekend, but managed to get out of work early so decided to fit my new fuse panel. These are a beautifully engineered piece of work. My Birdman fuse boards have served me very well for the last 6 years but I couldn’t resist getting one of these when it Banane available. And I’m proud to say serial number “1” in the RHD version quick and faultless install , too less than 20 minutes
    Thank you Jason for taking the time and effort to producing a RHD version Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Very neat!

25. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    @rjlloyd Thanks for the kind words and the inspiration to design a RHD version for all you wrong-side-of-the-road folks out there :). I've now got some limited stock on the RHD versions and @rjlloyd was kind enough to install & test, so we know they work!

@absostone The price for the fuse block is $325 (includes installation guide, fuses & fasteners). As discussed a few times on this thread, the stock covers won't work with this solution.