Redesigned Fuse Block | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Redesigned Fuse Block

Discussion in '308/328' started by TurtleFarmer, Apr 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    The latest on a custom set of covers for this fuse block (again, not needed from an electrical standpoint, but many of you have asked for a solution):

Zero'ing in on two solutions. Basically a mostly enclosed version and an "open top" version -- kinda like a GTB and a GTS model of the cover :)

I'm going to start working next on the fuse indicator stickers that will go on top of the cover. Tragically, it would seem the Factory had a lot of combo's so I'm going to start a new thread asking for pictures of folks' original cover stickers along w/model & year. Stay tuned.

Latest pic's of the two models of covers (along w/the naked look):

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Tvjake2 and Jakuzzi like this.
  2. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Such a nice looking board I would be happy with clear polycarbonate

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    PM and email sent

4. Ray F

Ray F Karting

Jul 17, 2005
    Somerset, England
    Full Name:
    Ray Forster
    I am interested in a set of these too old chap. Can't figure how to send you a pm (me just being dull I'm sure).

5. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
  6. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Image Unavailable, Please Login So I started screwing around with installing the new fuse box. And was I surprised to see a double row of Wire connections on the lower end.

7. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    Yup. Many of the "load" side connections (bottom) have 2 diff't wire connectors. This is why the new fuse design has two rows of connector blades along the entire bottom edge. Not all of them are used in a stock harness, but many are.

Make sure to label all the connections! It's a bear to remember where everything goes. For the connectors that are doubled up on a single fuse, it doesn't matter top vs. bottom connection...just make sure they both stay on the same fuse :)

8. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I marked all the outer connectors 1-18 and anything inner A-Q, ill finish it tomorrow

9. Harry-SZ

Harry-SZ F1 Rookie

This looks really good!
    I'd like one for my 308 GTB QV. I'll send you a PM later.

10. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Turtlefarmer. Question. Are the center mounting screws supposed to pass through the board?

11. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Never mind. But another question. number 10-14 LEDs don’t light up?

12. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    The LEDs will only light up if they are "supplied". Fuses 10-15 (or R1-R6 in my nomenclature) are for your external lighting system. If you turn on the headlights (rotate the light stalk), you should see those LEDs light up.

13. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I was thinking something to that affect. But didnt try it . Really tough install on the GT4. Its all in and looks good. Ya know, I feel the Original covers would fit if there was some type of Lug on the mounting screws to catch the notch in the covers. Thank you for your help Btw.

14. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Yeah whichever engineer thought up the bright idea of putting the fuse panels in the glovebox deserved the brain fart award.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

absostone likes this.
  15. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    especially with all that space below it in a GT4

16. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    Yeah...sorry it's so painful in the GT4's. At least you get an actual glove box. And two extra seats!

@absostone I'm glad you were able to get it installed. Congrats!

absostone likes this.
  17. Alfatom

Alfatom Rookie

Oct 23, 2014
    Guildford, UK
    So I have just finished installing Jason's fuseboard into my 1977 UK supplied RHD 308 GT4.
    It was very straight forward and the fit was perfect. I used an electronic label printer to methodically go through and label every supply and feed and plan the positions on the board. My existing setup was a mess with a generic 8 terminal black fuse board with no spade connectors. I took several hours to trace and label every wire, then about an hour to add spade connectors to all the left hand wires with a good quality crimper, then it was a simple job to install. (Making sure to clock all the connectors as per the instruction document for that professional look :)).
    The only downside was an outrageous customs charge when it was shipped to the UK.... but I try not to think about that.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

NoGoSlow, DonB, Saabguy and 2 others like this.
  18. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    So in the 1977 the fuse box is under the glove box?

19. Alfatom

Alfatom Rookie

Oct 23, 2014
    Guildford, UK
    Yes... It's directly below. There is a leather clad panel with a button fastener that covers it.

20. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Thats cheating sir. Goofy Italian car design. The 75 is in the glove box and the wires feed up through a slot

kiwiokie likes this.
  21. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    Look great, Tom! Super clean.

And, yeah, the early series GT4's have a helluva time with the fuseblock located in the glovebox--the Italian factory folks must've had very small hands. The factory team clearly gave feedback to the design team for the later series GT4's. No question that's why the fuseblock was re-located below the dash on those later GT4's. Probably saved 45-60 minutes on the floor during assembly.

absostone likes this.
  22. drrick308

drrick308 Rookie

Feb 14, 2012
    Salem, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Dr. Rick
    This is a 30 second time lapse video I made installing the updated fuse block into my 1980 308 GTSi. Since there is a limit to the size of the attachment, below is a link to my google drive to watch video. It took me 2 months to finally get around to installing it and it took from 39 minutes to install. This was my first attempt at Time lapse
    photography..... h t t p s ://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1tB-GUSiH6gzKK05mx-srmgxfhyIryz4r?usp=sharing (REMOVE THE SPACES IN H T T P S)

I really should have titled the video Cowboy Motors Fuse Block, but I didn't see the cowboy until I removed one of the assembly screws! BATTERY DISCONNECTED.

Just after the first photo, you will see "Photo" with an arrow (yellow). I took a picture of the original fuse block, printed it on 13x19 photo paper and used this photo to write the numbers and to use as a reference in case I drank too much beer.

I then got some stick on labels and began labeling wires. you may note on #3 left the wiring is scorched. After labelling , I first installed the bottom wires and then the top wires. Someone here made this suggestion and I copied it. That big plier like tool I am using (besides the micro tweezers) is a line clamp used in Open heart surgery. Was a great tool for the job.

The yellowed circled area 3/4 way through the video simple draws attention to the FU'd part of the block where the fuel pump wire used to go.
    I haven't fire it up yet but when I do the first thing I'll check is the windows.
    Thank you again Cowboy Motors, TurtleTarmer, Jason for such an elegant solution.
    View attachment 3039116 Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

Alfatom and NoGoSlow like this.
  23. drrick308

drrick308 Rookie

Feb 14, 2012
    Salem, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Dr. Rick
    #148 drrick308, Nov 17, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    p.s. If you run the video at 0.5 or 0.25 speed you can see more details.
    Here is the setup I used. iso 400 shutter speed 1/10s f11 100 mm prime lens Canon EOS 5D Mk III
    Photos every 5 sec. Manual focus. MIrror lock on.

Attached Files:

24. TurtleFarmer

TurtleFarmer Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 13, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jason S
    Wow, Rick. Really nice work and love the time lapse!

25. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Jason how much is the cover?