References on D&M Appraisal Services, Micheal Sheehan | FerrariChat

References on D&M Appraisal Services, Micheal Sheehan

Discussion in 'Arizona & New Mexico' started by jmlarson, Aug 20, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jmlarson

jmlarson Rookie

Feb 22, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    James Larson
    Hello All

After someone ran a shopping cart into my parked 308 and 'dented' the paint (I don't really have a better description - paint is displaced, sheet metal does not appear to be damaged), I took it to Penske on the recommendation of Scottsdale Ferrari. $3200 to repaint the entire front / upper quarter panel / fender piece.

The other parties Insurance Company offered me $99, saying it could be 'wet sanded' out.

After filing a lawsuit, they are sending a person named Micheal Sheehan from D&M Appraisal Services in Mesa AZ (Not the same Micheal Sheehan from Ferrari-online.com) to look at the vehicle.

Anyone had any experience with this guy? Is he fair / reasonable / accurate?

Any info or feedback appreciated.

Regards
    James

2. AZ-Giallo

AZ-Giallo Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    David
    I don't believe the other party gets to pick your repair shop.

3. copterjon

copterjon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2005
    Mesa, Az.
    Have Don at Elwood Auto Body on McDowell Rd. in Scottsdale have a look at it. His Ferrari work is fantastic.

4. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    Scottsdale Ferrari is Pensky, all the same ownership and while I am sure their work is good they tend to be pricey. The other suggestion mentioned above may be a better choice.

5. SCousineau

SCousineau Guest

Jul 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    S Cousineau
    You have every right to pick who repairs your car. If you trust Penske then have them do the work. The reputable body shops I have dealt with know how to interact with insurance companies.

6. Pit_Stop

Pit_Stop Arizona

Dec 31, 2008
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Sorry to hear about the Ferrari. For some professional advise.... Without seeing the damage (but most likely envisioning what damage is visible) wet sanding is not going to work. If it does, you cannot just wet sand a specific area and expect it to match up with the rest of the paint. It also has to be buffed out and blended to remove sanding marks. The insurance company wants a "patch" job. To wet sand a vehicle correctly and buff out and perfect paint for a small area, you can expect a 3-4 hour job. That would run $319.80 at our shop. If you want us to take a peak at it, I would be more than happy to do so. Sometimes repainting isn't always a good thing either for an older car as paint over time does age and fade. Hope this may shed some light on taking the best course of action.

marcus

7. azfast1

azfast1 Karting

Jan 10, 2004
    Sheehan is very good and fair, he has been to my shop many times during the 23 years we did all of the body work at the Ferrari dealer before it was Scottsdale Ferrari. He is a good place to start the claim.
    Glenn
    The Finishing Touch Body Shop
    Fountain Hills 480-837-3355

8. Michael Lewis

Michael Lewis Rookie

Dec 11, 2014
    Does anyone know why Mike Sheehan does not work at American Family?

9. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    In my opinion (gathered from experiance) I would NOT let the Ferrari store perform the repair. They really are not that good when they do the repair in house. Their in house (in house is a staple of the Penske business model) paint guys do a good job but not a great job. Subsequently you need someone who can do a great job especially due to the age of the car.

I have had fantastic luck with:

Elwood. (they love all things Italian and do a great job)
    Finishing Touch (the have done paint work on cars deep into the 7 figure range and rarely get credit for it, often the restoration shop takes the credit for their work)
    Scotts Coachworks. Love them. Always do a fantastic job. Did an incredible job on my Black 355. I have been using them for 15 years. Always impressed. Ask for Matt Olson.

10. azfast1

azfast1 Karting

Jan 10, 2004
    Has anyone else noticed this thread was revived from the dead for some reason as it is about a year and a half old?

11. Pettydetails

Pettydetails Rookie

May 28, 2016
    I know this is an old thread, but I had to post. Sheehan is not "good and fair". He is a "yes man" for insurance companies, and that is all he is. If he get's involved, you can be sure his "evaluation" will be hogwash, and the only reason he get's involved is when an insurance company is trying to screw some victim out of receiving the true amount of their auto claim.