Refurbished wheels, problem? | FerrariChat

Refurbished wheels, problem?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by MisterT, May 21, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MisterT

MisterT Karting

Feb 2, 2011
    Fleet, Hampshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Taylor
    After looking at refurbished my wheels, I notice that the inside face that will mate to the hub/disk is also painted. As is the bore.
    I understand that these parts of the wheel should be unfinished material, so the wheel will sit true.
    Any one had experience of removing powder coating, it is hard work? is there a technique?

2. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
  3. Philwozza

Philwozza Formula 3

Apr 23, 2009
    Winchester UK
    Full Name:
    Phil Worrall
    These are Magnesium wheels and needs an expert who knows what they are doing to repaint / coat them.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  4. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Removing the additional material is not difficult if you have access to air tools. A buffing wheel or 3M sanding disc makes easy work of removal.

I may suggest , that you return the wheels to the shop who performed the work , asking them to remove the finish from the machined surfaces.

IMO, it may cause installation difficulties and even if you do get it on, it may make it harder to get off the next time.

Easier to just have it cleaned up the correct way.

S

5. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    As mentioned further up in this thread theses wheels are made from magnesium and they must be primed with a special primer to protect against corrosion (That is the green paint seen on the picture above). If not primed accordingly, the new paint or powder coating will start to peel off very fast and severe corrosion will develop soon. If you don't have access to the correct primer my recommendation will be to lightly sand down the top paint keeping the old primer in place and apply new top coat.

Best

Peter

turbo-joe likes this.