Relative thinks LP640 is the best Supercar. | FerrariChat

Relative thinks LP640 is the best Supercar.

Discussion in '612/599' started by CRG125, Mar 16, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    My relative who owns an LP640 is absolutley convinced its the best supercar of all time. Apparently he read the latest issue of automobile mag which has the LP640 featured in it. As we all know some magazines are biaest and automobile is claiming it to better than the Bugatti. I haven't read the article so I don't know how much my cousin is B.S. . Anyways we get into a discussion at lunch about it and knowing I am a Ferrari nut. He starts off by saying that "Ferrari is not what they use to be, they have totally ruined their cars." He keeps going on and says how the 599 will not come even close to his LP. He even said that his LP will take an Enzo. The whole time I kept quite because I know he is full of #$%. Has no idea what he is talking about. He finishes off by saying Lamborghini is a real supercar. Oh and one more thing because the Audi R8 is basically a Gallardo, he thinks it will take on an F430. What freakin idiot, no use arguing with him. So if any of you attend a VCR event with a 599 or an Enzo in the near future, look for an Black/Black LP640 and please someone teach him a lesson.

2. MGD416

MGD416 Formula 3

Jun 4, 2006
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Matt
    He can think whatever he wants about his cars... I dont really see a point besides just being able to say my car is the best to someone but its not really about being able to "take" another car in my opinion

3. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    I agree. Its just amazes me how some give their opinion without having knowledge about it.

4. rmk

rmk Formula 3

Mar 24, 2002
    LP640 > 599

Any pictures of his car?

5. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    This year there will be a special class for Supercars at the Historic Targa Florio. I'm bringing P 4/5 and a friend is bringing his Zonda. If your relative wants have a go I can get him an invitation. Anyone who wants more info. PM me.

6. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
  7. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Lucky thing your relative loves his car, as it was rather expensive. I drove an LP640 once, and thought it really was super. I don't think it's "better" than my F40 but, then, it's a lucky thing I like my car, too, right?

Tell your relative to bring his LP640 to a track day, maybe we can play a little, I'll bring my 599 - I'd love to see an LP640 driven hard. Peace.

8. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It seems hes just very proud of his car and that he is stoked that he has one. Smart not getting in an argument- Let him burst his own bubble!

9. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    They're all good these days and it'd likely take a pro at 10/10ths on a track to discern much performance difference. Pick the one that looks right and feels right - sounds like your relative did - and get after it.

10. ttgangsta

ttgangsta Karting

Oct 20, 2004
    The LP640 is awsome. I really think the subtle upgrades were just right for that car. They separate it from the murcielago just the right amount, but they don't look like they are trying too hard.

With that being said, the 599 is one HECK of a car. The transmission and F1-trac are second to none in my opinion. The suspension is firm, but doesn't bounce you around. You would be amazed at how it squats under straight line acceleration and grabs the tarmac. How many super cars do you know of that can be at WOT while its snowing on cold tires and have perfect traction. The LP is awsome but I think writing the 599 off is a mistake.

11. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Lp is a beautiful car and will attract more looks then 599,just tell him not to "race" any 599s,since unless his driving skills exceed those of Balboni,he would very quickly feature in wreckedexotics.com.

12. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    i would take the LP to an 599 any day,
    the only ferrari's I like is theF40 and enzo.... damn.. now i just need the money for all 3
    But.. hey. its my 2 cents

13. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    I just love opinions from people who don't own and have no real experience with the cars they are opining about. It's fine to say what you prefer and would buy if you were in the market, but to opine negatively about anything without experience is simply fraud.The quote in this reply is just fine' though. He wants all three cars! :)

Having said that, the published reports concerning the LP640 paint a wonderful picture of a very improved car over the Murcie. I personally love Ferraris and everything about the brand, not just the cars, so Lambo's don't do it for me, but I have no doubt that modern Lambos, under the ownership of the VAG group, have really got their stuff together and they are making wonderfully competent cars. But my 599 was the real deal for me and I wouldn't take a Lambo of any description for free if I had to give up the 599 and get all my money for it.

14. 3604u

3604u F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2004
    london/singapore/JKT
    Full Name:
    D
    dude,
    whats makes u think i dont own, or even drove one,

you dont have to be a snob, well.. i guess its your view..

and like i said it just my opinion

get a life dude

15. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    You just don't get it ( I'll pry my tongue out of my cheek later). This is America. Saying it makes it so (not). Just ask anyone in CONgress. Drive your car. Enjoy it. You'll most likely never get the chance to "take" this guy anyway. And, if so, what would be the point.

16. ZINGARA 250GTL

ZINGARA 250GTL F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 21, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Ken
    What you need, sir, is a "spellcheck" feature on your computer; and, you need an english primer as well. If you own one, put it on your publc profile. Otherwise, play nicely. Mummy would not be pleased. Capito?

17. FJerry

FJerry Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2004
    United States
    I think the LP is more outrageous looking than the 599 and therefore in comparison if you think a super car has got to be outrageous then certainly the LP is more outrageous. I prefer the 599- but I have not driven either- yet ;)

However, supercars of all time, I would think these should also be on the list:

the Koenesegg (sp)
    Mclaren F1
    F40
    F50
    Enzo
    oh yeah and the Bug. Dude, 10 radiators and a special top speed key! :O !

I believe the LP and 599 are not in the above league, JMHO. Btw- on the Ferrari not being what they used to be remark, thats precisely why I am now attracted to Ferrari. They are now delivering, IMHO, the best package out there for a serious sports car: cutting edge performance, real useable technology, great styling (always subjective), reliability, good fit and finish, and there is a nice heritage if you are into that sort of thing. I believe Ferrari has mitigated the negatives and played to their strengths- my opinion is Ferrari is at the top of their game.

I am also impressed with what Lambo has done, but it does not appeal to me the same way. I just don't care for the styling and the Audi switch gear kills it for me. To call the LP "the best ever" is a stretch. I would say that if he or anyone else loves it for whatever reason thats great and if you want to elevate it to a group which you could call the top cars of all time then thats great. I suspect when history is written that both the LP and the 599 are not considered in that group but to be great examples of what the companies could do at the time- there will be newer/ better that eclipses each.

best regards,
    Jerry

18. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Number 1 - read my post. I actually complimented you. My mistake I guess.
    Number 2 - If you have driven or own a 640 or 599, say so, and then we won't assume you don't have one. Until then, my assumption is looking pretty good.
    Number 3 - snobbery is really not my problem and there are many hundreds on this forum who will attest to that, but either way your personal opinion of me really doesn't doesn't raise a ripple in my world.

19. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    There are a lot of great different supercars on the market and each one has it's own special aura and character. They all must be respected whether we prefer one over the other.
    Each one of us buys his own supercar for a special reason and each one of us is proud of his supercar for one reason or the other. We will never see eye to eye. But any exotic or supercar must be respected.
    That said, although I drive a Ferrari and I enjoy the car and can't imagine myself without it, I still have great respect for the LP640 and adore the car.

20. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    He has a Murchi. It's in his profile.
    What sort of car is that, is it an evolution of the Murcie ;)?

Hey, D, don't take it personal. I'm really not making fun, only joking here :).

21. FJerry

FJerry Formula Junior

Dec 1, 2004
    United States
    sometimes text based exchange shows its limits. I bet most here would be very friendly should we ever meet :)

best regards,
    Jerry

22. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
  23. Dino Martini

Dino Martini F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2004
    Calgary Alberta
    Full Name:
    Martin
    +1

24. Skyler360Spider

Skyler360Spider Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2005
    The OC, USA
    The Automobile mag article also states that of the 12 LP640s released to the automotive and tour journalists/test drivers last year only 5 have survived! The rest are featured on wreckedexotics.com. I think the 599 wins the handling argument easily and gets my vote.

25. MGD416

MGD416 Formula 3

Jun 4, 2006
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Matt
    yeah I think that my first statement came out wrong, I people who buy the cars just to say that they are the best are posers, I buy the cars I love, not what others think