Relay/ticking sound under dash f430 | FerrariChat

Relay/ticking sound under dash f430

Discussion in '360/430' started by ShadowF430, Oct 7, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ShadowF430

ShadowF430 Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2017
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Hey guys, looking to see if anyone has had this relay sound, selonoid sound under the dash. It sounds like the passenger side right under the glove box. I took car to lunch, let valet park it and noticed when I fired it up, I can hear this motor sound then a relay opening tick. I searched and found someone said it happened on their 360. My a/c seems to blow normal, hot and cold work. But at idle, esp at a stop you can feel a clunk in the wheel and brake pedal even every 3 seconds. Any suggestions where to look.

Just got home and with the car off, you can hear it do that with ign on. I thought maybe the ac dampners moving around, but seems ac and heat both work and seem to still change position when I select it on the dash. Bad relay that has them on a constant loop? Where is the relay if so I can check. Appreciate your help guys.

2. ShadowF430

Mar 29, 2017
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Update I let the car sit for an hour. Went back under the dash. I can see the recirculating vent open and close when I turn the ign on. It isnt doing it now. Fired the car up and still nothing. I’ll go check again, but could it be a relay that got hot? It was parked in the sun at lunch. Guess I’ll wait to see if it does it again. I’m still looking so see what could cause that feeling all the way to the pedal or wheel. I just don’t want something to strip a gear. Trying to be preventative vs reactive. Although after I saw the flap open and close on the gear for the recirculating air door, when I pushed the button on the dash for recirculating or not, shouldn’t that open the door and close it? It just stayed shut??

3. ShadowF430

Mar 29, 2017
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Ok so played some more. The recirculating moved, I turned low to hot and can hear valves opening and closing, moved all the directions on the dial and hear the hvac system moving and opening valves. I traced the ticking to this relay. I can feel it ticking while a motor keeps going zzzzzzz stop, zzzzzz stop. What does this relay do? I assume the zzzzzz stop near the center of the car then this tick is the internals of the relay compromised.

4. ShadowF430

Mar 29, 2017
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Ok........ well after a vigilant research night, I have concluded (almost embarrassingly lol) there is no problem ..... I let the gf drive the car to lunch. In her panic she wasn’t giving it the right gas and it would jerk and panicked at some point and hit the wiper blades. After all my searching I found that relay to be the wiper relay. But thought how could that be my sound or issue. Well.... I took the wipers off a few months ago because the car looks cleaner with no wipers. you can’t see the bolts turning. After I discovered it was a relay for the wipers, I checked and sure enough, they were on an intermittent setting but could not see since I took them off.

If the admin can delete this post or leave it simply just to point out what would look obvious but wasn’t haha. Take away from this, don’t let gf drive Ferrari anymore lol. Most embarrassing post yet hahaha

5. Corsair66

Corsair66 Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2016
    Clermont, FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Glad you figured it out - maybe put the wipers back on the car? 'nuff said about that... LOL

I heard some occasional ticking (apparently originating beneath the dash on the driver's side of the car) during a longish drive yesterday. It reminded me of the sound a swinging keychain makes as it contacts the dash - only I don't have a keychain at the moment, so that's not it. A mystery...

6. Ben Peterson

Ben Peterson Rookie

Nov 15, 2011
    Rincon, GA
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Peterson
    Where is the wiper relay located? Is it under the passenger footwell?

7. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    I had a similar ticking and it turned out to be the flasher (turn signal) relay going bad. Just FYI.

Corsair66 likes this.
  8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    People remove their wiper arms? That is sacrilege in Seattle.

9. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    It's dangerous in Orlando. Or at best, you spend a whole lot of time parked under overpasses waiting.

Corsair66 likes this.
  10. Skywhale

Skywhale Karting

Aug 17, 2022
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Carsten
    What does this sound like? I have what literally sounds like a tap that inconsistently comes from the right glovebox area… It’s the exact tone of the blinker. I only notice it because if it happens in quick sequence, I think I left my signal on. Is that what it sounds like when the relay is going bad?

11. Dreamgiver

Dreamgiver Rookie

Dec 3, 2021
    Utah
    A malfunctioning TGK valve will also sound like constant knocking under the dash...it's located in the frunk next to the brake fluid reservoir.

Mercedes_Benz likes this.
  12. Skywhale

Skywhale Karting

Aug 17, 2022
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Carsten
    Yeah, I’ve had that. Just “rebooted” and it went away. The more I hear how inconsistent it is, the more I’m thinking my sound is ball joints going. So I’ll probably tackle those this weekend to rule it out. Car has 17,000 miles on it and pretty sure no one’s touched them.