360 - Relay Ticking Sound | FerrariChat

360 Relay Ticking Sound

Discussion in '360/430' started by JazzyJay, Sep 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2005
    Connecticut
    '02 F1 Spider

I have a "ticking sound" (like a muffled turn-signal cadence) coming from the black horn/siren located just under the access hatch in the boot near the driver's side windshield wiper.

There are a few posts suggesting that it could be a turn-signal relay, but I assume the ticking sound would be coming from the relay itself. Some other posts suggest a failing immobilizer relay, but again it seems like the relay itself would be making the noise.

What what would cause a tick----tick---tick (almost a "chirp"?) from the black horn?

Some initial troubleshooting:
    • car is generally connected to a battery tender, battery is fairly new and by all measures good voltage
    • I removed the vertical panel and insulation in the boot and can definitely see/hear/feel the black horn-like device vibrate slightly with each tick
    • ticking not always present when battery-kill switch is first turned "on", but will almost always start ticking when the ignition is turned off after a ride
    • still ticks with tender connected/disconnected
    • sometimes the ticking will go to double-time cadence if the lights or other power draw happens when ignition in accessory position
    • car otherwise starts and runs fine

Any ideas?

2. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    You need a new siren module. A common problem for a 360. Do a search, lots of threads on this subject.

3. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2005
    Connecticut
    Perfect. Thanks.

Worth replacing if considering an Trev360 ECU upgrade/IMMO delete?

4. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    There's an internal NiCad battery inside these module that will leak over time. Perhaps Ferrari has updated the design on the new stock? I don't know. I've seen modules that have sat on the shelf at least a few years before being sold. Off the bat, you're at a disadvantage. So if you're going to install a new one, you're just buying yourself a few more years of time before it happens again. What I did on mine is to relocate the inside battery to an external container so that the leakage is contained outside of the module. That requires cutting the module in half to access the internal battery, unsolder it and solder some extension wires. Not for the faint of heart and not easy if you don't have a band saw let alone the skill set.

As to removing the Immo unit, it's your call to consider if your car is worth protecting in an unprotected environment. If something happens and you file a claim with your insurance company expecting a $90,000 payout, do they care? I would certainly think that they would look at this very carefully before writing you a check.