Relevance of a Ferrari having history in the Northeast? | FerrariChat

Relevance of a Ferrari having history in the Northeast?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Mike328, Apr 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm in the market now for a 328, and have come across many, many cars. My spreadsheet count is 15 right now. Many are definitely in the same "class," and fit my fairly strict criteria for being cars that I could own.

In many cases, the only visible difference in these cars in paper is their "geographic history," as I call it. In other words, where's it's been, where it came from, etc.

Some cars I'm looking at lived their whole life in California. Others, Florida. Still others spent all their time in New York or in the Northeast in general.

What is really the significance of a car's geographic history? The Northeast is associated with long winters and salt on the roads... And some potholes, but that can happen anywhere.

All things being equal, should you go for the California car over the Northeast car?

One thing I like about CA cars is their gestapo emissions forces owners to keep the engine running healthy (emissions wise, anyway), and they also report emissions test results on CARFAX.

Any comments on the relevance of a geographic history, especially in relation to 328s?

2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    It is my understanding that Ferrari first started rustproofing their cars in 1984. How good this treatment was, I don't know. I'd look long and hard at any car for the rust monster, regardless of where it is from or where it has been.

As a sidenote, I always find it funny when people advertise their cars as a "Texas Car." I assume that they are implying that it is dry down here. This is kinda funny seeing how Houston gets more inchs of rain than Seattle.

Dr "Where's my umbrella" Tax

3. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    issues like potholes and salt on the roads should be somewhat apparent during a PPI. i don't see exotic cars on the roads in boston during the winter (a rare 996TT now and then with snow tires - but that's awd).

i'm sure it happens, but the statistical probability is tiny. a good PPI will settle those fears.

what's more messy apparently is the salt air from coastal cars (all coasts). the sticky black plastic on the 355s has been attributed to salt air and humidity (eg: FL), though i don't know that anybody really knows what causes it.

furthermore, cars in sunny places (FL, SoCal) seem to have leather shrinkage more often than cars in less-sunny places (midwest, northeast, northwest, etc.) for obvious reasons.

i'm not a fan of FL and SoCal cars in general. obviously there are exceptions to every rule, and maybe i'm just being reverse-discriminatory :) but when i look at new england cars i tend to find a lot less problems than with FL and SoCal cars.

my two drachmas.

doody.

4. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Mike....

What the others said....more or less.....no geographic area is perfect.....and IMHO peoples dislikes of cars from certain areas is based more on misconceptions sometimes, than good 'ole facts and logic.

I get the "eastern" car thing all the time.......well......here in Calgary we use just as much sand/salt and chemicals as they do down east for example...and even lots of gravel as well on our winter roads......but no......if the car is from the east it's automatically presumed to be a "rustbucket" whether it was winter driven or not.....and our cars are supposedly more desireable......heh.

Eastern seacoast salt water air and humidity "can" be a killer.......and for some reason the west coast is not, probably due to the more temperate climate......but to me, the sun is really brutal and I would rather have a car from anyplace but CA or AZ or FL......

Weird eh ? I think you have to weight each car on it's merits and your perceptions in the case of an F-car.

5. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Great thoughts! The car I'm looking into is a purely northern CA car.

One thing about CA: Strict emissions tests! If a car fails, owners gotta just FIX the O2 sensor or FI component or whatever it takes to pass... Nice way to keep the engine healthy, kinda forces the maintenance issue!

6. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I'd actually avoid cars in the very sunny states that may have some UV damage, such as dash shrinkage.

That probably holds more true for cars that have been left on dealer lots for long periods of time.

Just my 2 cents.

--Matt

7. DBR328&330

DBR328&330 Formula Junior

May 31, 2001
    Winchester, VA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reese
    In general, cars that live along the coast can suffer most due to salty air. I have seen excessive corrotion on 328s from both the NE coast and Florida. its not necessary that they are driven in bad weather- just sitting in that climate can be enough. All things being equal I would prefer an inland car.

Dan

8. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Mike,

Most exotic owners in New England store their cars for the winter and wouldn't think of driving them on salty roads. Most won't even drive in the rain if they can help it. Because of the weather issue, everyone in NE keeps their Ferrari in a garage almost all the time, even in the summer. Therefore, with an exotic at least, I would expect that a New England car would be as good as or better than a car from the south. Now if we're talking about a non-exotic, that's a different story!

Birdman