Remember this date: | FerrariChat

Remember this date:

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by Gatorrari, Aug 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I meant to post this yesterday but I never got a round tuit. Along with everything else, we need to remember that the atomic age really began on August 6, 1945.....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I remember it well. I was at Langley Field , Va.and when Japan surrendered, all hell broke loose on the base. All the bad types came out of their holes and committed everything bad that they could think of. A horrible day and night and part of the next day. I wrote about my experiences and what happened and at least one person called me a liar so I keep it filed.

3. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Apparently not only at Langley
    https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4800963

4. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    The acts of violence that I saw weren't a celebration of victory and relief but a chance to vent the blackest desires that lay within. The worst destruction was at the officer's club, the worst personal assaults were at the NCO's club where we had to attend to a beautiful young wife that had been slashed in the face with a broken beer bottle. One had been stabbed with an icepick, Numerous sexual assaults. At the end of my service days I was attached to the provost Marshall's Office as an MP. and what I saw in 30 hours on VJ Day was unbelievable . The only truly happy guys were the ground crew guys that had served in Europe and Italy. They stayed in their barrack and had a celebration there with hundreds of gallons of beer that they had collected from "The Gashouse" in empty mayonnaise jars from the mess. Years ago when we were in the final stages of the 777 program, I had to check something with the controls group guys and to my surprise, there was a "kid" that I was stationed with at Hondo. He was an instrument panel engineer. We chatted later about VJ-Day and he said that he remembered me brining in so many injured women to the hospital in the Shellbank area where he had been assigned. He died several years ago . He was the last one that I know of that could verify what happened that night. I had to throw my uniform away because of vomit, blood, and torn areas. I got a statement of charges for it,too.

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    And on today's date, a Fat Man fell on Nagasaki.....