Remembering FAF | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Remembering FAF

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Horse-power, Jun 11, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Horse-power

Horse-power Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2006
    Atlanta/Florida
    Full Name:
    West
    #26 Horse-power, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dr. T that is so cool !

I found an excellent write up about FAF in Cavallino #57. Here's a pic from that article, this is how I remember seeing the outside of the dealership.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    #27 Dr Tommy Cosgrove, Jul 11, 2012
  3. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Ric is the best. I bought my very first car (that I actually bought myself) thru him. 1982 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce. I still have it. That was Nov 1996

The next year he helped broker the deal with John and the 308.

4. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    OH MAN great photos of you and Ric Schuman in that black 308 that is fantastic!! I'm going to have to dig out some of my old FAF photos. Do you remember Ric's office covered with photos of all the cars he sold! I'm talking hundreds of pictures!

5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    #30 Dr Tommy Cosgrove, Jul 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
    When I was at Apen's house picking mine up, Ric was there and was complaining that he forgot his camera (1997 - no one had one on a phone then, if they even had a cell phone to begin with). He told me he had a picture of every car he ever sold. I swear I keep forgetting to send him one of it and me. Still need to do that for him.

4re308 likes this.
  6. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    correction, these were taken in July 1989

7. nero328gts

nero328gts Karting

Dec 5, 2006
    Quite a few of us made the Pilgrimage down by the old concrete plant in Tucker. I made mine with my Dad, Ed in Summer 1988 shortly before Enzo died that August. Steve Ahlgrim took us down the 4lane in a '86 Nero 328GTS. I was 10 years old. 18 years later, I bought a Nero '88.5 328GTS out of Birmingham. Dr. T might be familiar with the car as it was serviced at HESCO BY Lee Hurley and a picture of it is still on their website.

8. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    It was really cool of them to do those things for us back in the day wasn't it? Just super great people!

4re308 likes this.
  9. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I bought my first Ferrari, a black on black 1986 328GTS, from Steve Ahlgrim and Fred Repass at FAF.

10. Rbtrader

Rbtrader Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Chattanooga, TN
    Full Name:
    Rich Becherer
    Steve Algrihm at FAF sold me a 1962 250 Series II Cab in 1988 for $110,0000. It was a good buy then, and looks like an even better buy today!

11. Horse-power

Horse-power Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2006
    Atlanta/Florida
    Full Name:
    West
    Frank and Rich, If possible can you both share some pics of these cars? Would love to see them and thanks for posting.

12. tamiami

tamiami Karting

Mar 14, 2007
    #37 tamiami, Sep 24, 2012
  13. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    An old key chain from FAF, and the price of the Dino 246 we bought, but not from FAF, it was Baker Motors in Buckhead.

14. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    #39 Patek, Sep 25, 2012
  15. piratepress

piratepress Formula Junior

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
    #40 piratepress, Sep 25, 2012
    I remember a similar car that was owned by Buddy Wilkins from Gainesville, Georgia. He brought it to the FCA '89 meet at Lake Lanier. It was dark blue and was a Koenig Convertible Testarossa. It supposedly had 800hp. He was a really nice guy, even pulled over and let me take a couple pictures of it. I also got a chuckle out of the "Ho Hum" license plate. This pic is from a magazine article:

16. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Now, $18,275 may sound rather inexpensive (heck, my new Civic cost more than that!), but if you figure inflation into it, that is equivalent to $94,825 today - still a deal compared to what Dinos are actually selling for nowadays.

17. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    LOL

I had that FAF key fob and used it on an old riding mower years ago. I had forgotten about that.

verde330gts likes this.
  18. Patek

Patek Formula 3

Mar 24, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    John Milton Denton
    I just found these in a box last week at the house. They have been missing for several decades, what fun to see these.

19. Michael Losey

Michael Losey Rookie

Jul 12, 2014
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Michael Losey
    As an update to the many postings on the history of FAF Motorcars, Tucker, GA, after I sold out of the Atlanta restaurant company, RTM, Inc., in 1975 I started buying Ferraris. I met Ewing Hunter through FOA and he gave me unlimited advice and serviced my cars. We then went on to arrange a consignment agreement whereby FAF would find likely Ferraris to purchase, I would purchase them and put them on consignment to FAF. Some early examples were a 275 GTB/2 alloy body which I purchased for $12,000 and we sold for $15,000! There were several Lusos, 330 GTC's, 330 GTS's, Daytonas, etc.

Ewing and John Apen wanted to obtain the new Ferrari dealership rights to Atlanta after Baker Motors gave up the franchise so they brought me in as a capital partner to procure the requisite capital for Ferrari of NA to grant us the franchise in 1976. I was a 25% partner until 1980 when they bought me out by trading a restored 250 California LWB Spyder which I immediately sold to Prancing Horse Farms.

I have many fond memories of all the Ferrari people including Mike Ghorley, Gerald Rousch, Steve Algrin, Ewing, John, Wes, Rudy, and the many other prancing horse lovers.

Michael Losey

verde330gts likes this.
  20. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I don't have any pictures (just great memories) but my Dad took my to FAF several times in the early to mid 80s. He knew nothing about Ferraris but his son could rattle off a book of stats and specs of most of the models then. Took me to Road Atlanta too to watch the old Camel GT races.

Tucker seemed like quite a drive from Lithia Springs but we enjoyed the experiences together. I reminded him of that when I took him for a ride in my QV for the first time. I don't remember the FAF sales team names or faces but they were always nice and polite to a kid that just wanted to be near the cars.

21. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    This post was a walk down memory lane as I made a Ferrari purchase from them in 1975. Their business setup was a shocker initially as I had different expectations having traveled a fair distance to see their operations . Overall friendliness and knowledge of the Mark made the sale. How Ferrari has changed since the early days!

Docf

22. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    This is a great thread, and the ultimate proof that Dr Tommy is indeed the ultimate 308 fan. I have to admit, the 308 is what did it for me when I was younger as well, I was shaken and never the same again.

Ted Rutland has pulled a fast one on me causing torture in that his new new facility is just a couple miles from my residence. He is the ultimate bastion of ferrari originality knowledge.

23. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Guys, I'm going to bring my massive collection of original FAF photos I took in the 80s, into the office sometime. Anyone is invited to come visit us and thumb through them! I'd love to find the owners of the cars in my pics! I think Tommy and I were at FAF at the same time we have similar photos of the same cars during that period. He really is the ultimate 308 enthusiast!!

24. malcolmb

malcolmb Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2002
    San diego
    Full Name:
    Malcolm Barksdale
    #49 malcolmb, Jul 15, 2014
  25. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed