Remembering FAF | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Remembering FAF

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by Horse-power, Jun 11, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    When I went to pick up my 355 in '98 and went into the industrial area I thought I made a wrong turn. The concrete batch plant had water and cement on the road as I made my way to get my car. I was wondering where the hell I was going to pick up a brand new car for 140k. I asked Steven "Does Ferrari know you guys are here?" I'm still laughing about it. Actually I got to really love the place.

F355GTSF1 likes this.
  2. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I have a a cover just like that ... for my 328... with fitted mirror pockets

3. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    That picture of me in the 308 with Ric back in 86 (post number 24):

I remember him telling me when we turned back on that little stretch of road on the way back that they sometimes try to see if they can get 4 times the speed limit before the dead end (he may have said 5 times, not 100% sure now almost 30 years later). He told me the 8's can't do it but the 12's can.. I think the speed limit sign read 25mph.

Fun times

4. onboost

onboost Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2004
    DC Metro area
    Great thread, I remember both the gentlemen very well. Where are they today?

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Steve is alive and well and working at Motorcar Gallery in Fort Lauderdale, FL.

Motorcar Gallery

6. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I think Fred passed away a little while back

7. onboost

onboost Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2004
    DC Metro area
    That's good to hear.. down there hanging with Ed Waterman whom I constantly blame for my exotic car obsession!

Thanks for the update and sorry to hear that Fred is gone. He was always fun to talk and trade literature with. I remember he also had a very nice 280SL that he was so proud of. RIP.

Thx

8. Fearless Shifter

Mar 1, 2009
    Laurens, S.C.
    Full Name:
    "Brother" McDaniel
    #58 Fearless Shifter, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I had several of the red ones made for myself about 10 years ago by a friend who had a side business making t-shirts. I had an old one he used as a templet or something, however they do it. Can't tell the difference.

I always thought they looked really cool. Never saw a blue one before.

10. reubenk

reubenk Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2004
    atlanta burbs
    Full Name:
    reuben k
    pretty cool thread. my red '87 328 GTS was originally purchased at faf long before I got it. still had one of the key chains but it has since disintegrated.

11. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Griswold Co had shirts styled after the prewar Alfa Romeo Grand Prix mechanics shirts. We had red for the customers and the blue we saved for employees.

12. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Huh. My 328 was originally sold in the DC area. ("American Service Center", before it switched to Mercedes.)
    It spent nine years in Illinois, and another two in Boston, before I bought it.
    Eventually, I moved it back to Virginia.

But somewhere along the line, it picked up an FAF car cover. :p

(I haven't used the cover in 10 years, since the office has underground parking with so much concrete dust that I'm afraid to put a cover over the grit. But I still have the cover.)

13. onboost

onboost Formula Junior

Apr 13, 2004
    DC Metro area
    "American Service Center", has always been Mercedes.. you mean before it gave up the Ferrari franchise...

And I'll take that cover if you ever want to get rid of it. :)

14. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    I got one too...for a 308, but fits the 328.

15. Seth Thomas

Seth Thomas Karting

Jan 25, 2006
    Atlanta, Ga
    Full Name:
    Seth Thomas
    I think my dad still has a couple of these covers around the house. I know he had a cover for 512BBi, 86 Testarossa, and 88 Testarossa I will have to see if they are still at the house.

16. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I cant believe I don't know this, but what does FAF actually mean?

Factory Authorized Ferrari? Ferrari alfa, Fiat? I've heard a bunch of stories....

17. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane

Ferrari All Ferrari

18. suicidedoors1964

suicidedoors1964 Formula Junior

Oct 2, 2004
    Fantastically Awesome Ferrari

19. racer

racer Karting
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 17, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Ferrari Alfa Fiat...

tifoso2728 likes this.
  20. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I always thought that too but then I found an old sales brochure from them and it stated that FAF meant "Factory Authorized Ferrari"

21. Fearless Shifter

Mar 1, 2009
    Laurens, S.C.
    Full Name:
    "Brother" McDaniel
    #71 Fearless Shifter, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
  23. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I happened to be up at the FOA around the holidays, and they were cleaning out some records, and they had an entire stack of old FaF and early FOA catalogs. the one thing that was so funny - and I mean this with no disrespect, is that Harold "the parts guy" was the model in a lot of the T shirt ads, and jackets! He's certainly Model built being so thin! .. there was even one for a Ferrari cut off shirt!!! then Harold actually came walking by... and anyone who knows him .. he was mortified, but took it all in with pride. He's a good egg!!!

its just so funny how back in the day some of the things you would never buy, and today they are in high demand!!!

24. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    FAF is an interesting story. Gerald Roush once took me by the old building, which was still there in 2004, and told me the whole story. Wish I had thought to have a recorder or something. Now, the story is gone forever.

25. bcfos

bcfos Karting

Aug 15, 2016
    Birmingham, Al
    Full Name:
    Brian Foster
    After seeing them in DuPont my first road trip when I turned 16 was to the dealership. This was in May of 1989. I had ridden in a few Ferrari's before then at my aunt's place in Miami but had never visited a dealership. Ric and the guys were so nice and welcoming. Plus they were shocked a 16 year old kid drove over 150 miles one way to visit them on a Saturday in a 1968 Mustang GT convertible that my dad and I got back on the road after someone abused it to no end. Guess not many 16 year old kids drove 4 speed big block drop tops in the ATL back then. Even though they knew I was a kid they still treated me like a customer and that has always stuck with me through the years. Even after getting in the business in the early 2000's.

Texas Forever likes this.