Removal gt4 exhaust shield | FerrariChat

Removal gt4 exhaust shield

Discussion in '308/328' started by 3px19, May 21, 2024.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 3px19

3px19 Karting

Aug 29, 2006
    How does the exhaust shield come off of the exhaust manifold so I can get to the nuts. Or is it you just wind up destroying the foolish thing. Thanks

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Can you post a picture of your problem? Are you talking about the aluminum wrapping on the US '78-'79 exhaust manifolds, or some of the bolt-on heat shielding pieces?

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    What "Exhaust shield" are you speaking of and which nuts are you speaking of?

With more complete information we might actually be able to help.

4. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Are you are talking about the wrapped/insulated exhaust manifolds used on US spec cars? No need to remove the shielding, the nuts are accessible. Not as easily as non US spec cars (which only had a couple of flat sheet metal plates for heat deflection) but the nuts are accessible.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. 3px19

3px19 Karting

Aug 29, 2006
    Yes this is what I am talking about. I sure is even easy to even see the foolish nuts. I don't have a lift. Appears as if the early gt4 owners don't even know these things exist. Thanks miked

6. 3px19

3px19 Karting

Aug 29, 2006
    Smart phone couldn't keep up with my spelling. What I tried to reply is it isn't even easy to see the foolish nuts. So I'll go back and stand on my head to try and see them. Thanks again cal

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have never found it to be a big obstetrical. The lower row mostly with a socket and long extension. The upper row with an end wrench.

8. 3px19

3px19 Karting

Aug 29, 2006
    With this shield on you can't even see the nuts. Only way I can see them is with a mirror and a flashlight. Then everything is backwards and a third hand is needed. I really don't want to destroy the shield as it is welded together on the sides. Anyone who has dealt with the shields as shown in mixed Pic please reply. Do I need to undo the mounts in order to raise engine to get better access

9. bitsobrits

bitsobrits Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2011
    Omaha, NE area
    No need to raise the engine. When I removed my shielded headers, I found it much easier to remove the top nuts from the wheel wells (liners removed of course) and the lower nuts both from the side and below with multiple socket extensions. While it was a bit of a PITA, I didn't find line of sight was a critical factor. Mostly did it by feel.

kiwiokie likes this.
  10. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Getting them off is just practice because getting them back on is even harder.

11. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    I found a long extension with a 13mm universal joint socket to be helpful on some of the nuts. Why are you trying to remove the manifold nuts? If you are wanting to remove the manifolds completely I believe that is not possible for the forward bank with the engine in the car.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

12. bitsobrits

bitsobrits Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2011
    Omaha, NE area
    Front manifold can be removed from the engine when in the car, but to remove the manifold entirely from that front space, the alternator and right fuel tank needs to come out.

Rifledriver likes this.
  13. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    The front manifold can be removed by first removing the right hand side fuel tank. Of course there are several things that need to be removed in order to remove the tank itself. No matter how you do it removing (or even unfastening) the front manifold is an involved process, done orderly the job isn't difficult, just tedious and time consuming. The result of a lot of things packed into a very small space.

Try a Audi ur-Quattro, working in that engine compartment makes working on a GT4 seem as easy as working on a 1960's Chevy pickup.