Removal of 355 Shifter Shaft Seal | FerrariChat

Removal of 355 Shifter Shaft Seal

Discussion in '348/355' started by ametelsky, Oct 29, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ametelsky

ametelsky Rookie

May 13, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    So I find the telltale puddle of gear oil under my 98 spider 6 speed, and track it down to the shift seal. All the previous posts describe the job as a no brainer, so I figure I'm set - on top of that, the seal from Ricambi was cheaper than the shipping (lowest cost thing ever to break on my F-car by a lot :) ) LIFE IS GOOD!!!!

Was doing the fall oil change and while I had her in the air I figured I'd pop in the new seal. Went to remove the seal - nothing doing. The outside of the cup shaped seal is stuck in its groove to the point that it tears into little bits when I pull on it. luckily I started on the outside, so the part of the seal that rides the shaft is still intact. I couldn't even get the couple of bits stuck in the outer groove out with a sharp dental pick. the entire OD of the seal is stuck hard. (BTW I am a pretty decent mechanic with lot of patience and seal and bearing experience, so this is not typical newbyism) :)

I gave up before too much of the seal was damaged... Has anyone had this trouble? I am SURE that if I leave bits of rubber in that outer groove, the new seal will NOT seat properly. So I really want to get it out clean. Please comment if you have any tips or ideas.

Thanks,

Alan

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Try poking a hole on either side of the face of the seal. Then put a screw in each hole, and use the screws to pull the seal out. Be careful NOT to scratch the wall of the shaft hole when you do this.

Hope that helps.

3. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Is this the input shaft seal to the tranny?

When I had to do mine I made some calls and got some advice because I was stuck right where you are. Dental picks will not remove it. been there. Done that.

Put a screw driver on the seal and pop the end of the screwdriver with a hammer...it will jump right out.

You can do what I did and say a small prayer prior to the swing....that seemed to help.

Seriously, give it a pop and it will come out.

4. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Possibly a little slide hammer seal removal tool?

5. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Did you use a dental pick or an actual seal removal tool (which looks like a dental pick sized for a bear)? I used the latter and didn't have any trouble. I remember having to tug on it pretty hard, but it popped out. I tried the screw trick but access was too tight so I went to the local auto parts store and got the seal removal tool.

6. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    I had some lightweight picks and could not get a grip on the seal anywhere.

The seal has a substantial steel insert inside the rubber component. I used screwdriver to bend the internal steel piece. Once it was compromised, I could pop it out. Just be damn careful not to hit any part of the transmission cover when you do it.

Pressing in the new seal was pretty easy and it popped right into place. Been perfect for two seasons now.

I have an F1 car. I had to remove the entire octopus and disconnect it from the input shaft. I scribed lines and took lots of pictures. Once re-assmebled it shifted as it should and ran fine down to the mechanic that has the SD2 computer. The cool part was the diagnostics showed the gear selections all within spec.... :) whew

7. UPAUTO

UPAUTO Rookie

Apr 13, 2011
    Nottingham, U.K
    Full Name:
    Tony Kuo
  8. ametelsky

ametelsky Rookie

May 13, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    I will try some of your suggestions as soon as I can - I appreciate the help.