remove and replace testarossa exhaust instructions? | FerrariChat

remove and replace testarossa exhaust instructions?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by MOSS, Apr 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    I'm putting a new exhaust on and completely unbolted the stock exhaust. Is there a step by step or can someone explain the best way to remove please?

2. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Remove the airbox and heat shield

Jack the car up
    Remove the lower valance panel and center grill peice.

Unscrew and remove the exhaust gas temp sensors and swing them out of the way.

Mark and unplug the 02 sensors and remove clamps fastening the leads to the bellhousing. Let them hang or tie wrap them to the exhaust.

Undo the test port tube clamps at the bell housing, if your car still has them. Most have either rotted away or have been removed by now. Remove gently from the stud.

Undo the 8 spring bolts which hold the rear section to the pre-cats. Wiggle that sucker until she comes free of the exhaust flange gaskets.

Place a jack in the center of the muffler and apply slight pressure. Undo the 4 upper mounting bolts. It's best to have a helper for this step. Lower the entire rear section down to the floor. You may have to jack the car up a fair amount for it to clear the body work to get it completey out in one peice. Or remove the bumper.

Hope this helps.

3. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Will it come out with the primary cats still bolted to the headers? They look to be blocking the lowering down of the muffler.

4. rpissm

rpissm Formula 3

Aug 11, 2013
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Undo the clamps that join the headers to the precat sections. I keep the exhaust as one assembly when I remove it. Jack up the car pretty high in the back so you can get the exhaust out. I loosen the top hangers but don't remove them, then remove the header-to-precat bolts and nuts (as well as the O2 sensors etc) then I put my floor jack below the 2 precats (I have a crossbar that spans the two, you can get one at harbor freight). Then with the floor jack supporting the exhaust assembly, I take it the top hangers bolts, then slowly lower the floor jack, balancing the exhaust assembly on that. It's easy to wheel out then.

Also as noted previously, make sure you mark which O2 sensor went in to which bung!!!

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

5. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    The original muffler is heavy!

ozziindaus and vincenzo like this.
  6. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Thank you. Great instructions!

7. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Update: you only have to remove the passenger precat. The muffler will touch the driver side coming doe but comes out fine. Saves some time and trouble not having to remove the drivers side. The job took 2 hours

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. ozziindaus

ozziindaus F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 16, 2012
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Careful taking those emission test tubes off. Can easily break. I used WD40 on all the bolts that see heat

9. Gialllo uno

Gialllo uno Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I was also going to do this this very soon and it definetly makes it clearer. I am in the midst of changing injectors. We should have a friendly bet on what the stock exhaust weighs and also weigh the new exhaust????? Just a mild comparison. Every 9 pounds reduced is about........1 horsepower...........and better on the car over all......so if I lost 30 pounds...................hmm.

10. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I'd estimate a full TR exhaust system (muffler, cats, and pre-cats) weighs around 85 pounds. I have a complete TR exhaust system out in the garage...I'll have to put it on the scale tonight....and report back.

11. Gialllo uno

Gialllo uno Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I have a Tubi with post cat delete pipes that I came across and it really is pretty heavy. I am going to weigh it also and compare to the same parts I pull off which are the original stuff.