Removing 328 Radio. Options? | FerrariChat

Removing 328 Radio. Options?

Discussion in '308/328' started by mike996, Apr 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Hi Guys, yesterday on the first leg (700 miles) of our 1600 mile drive to TX I again discovered how useless TO ME a radio is in these cars. So I plan to remove it after we get to TX. I was first going to just make a blanking plate like the OEM setup but then got to thinking about some sort of tray or other "junk holder." Any ideas or suggestions for this?

2. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Volt meter? Outdoor temperature display? Radar detector? Mini-fridge?

3. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Well this is how they came form the factory in the U.S. All radios were dealer installed, even if they came pre-wired with speakers and an antenna. My 328 never had one, just this leather covered plate.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

NoGoSlow likes this.
  4. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Yes, and that cover plate is what I was thinking of making. But I thought maybe there were some little trays or similar to fit in that space to provide something useable for tossing small items into.

5. speedcat

speedcat Karting

Jul 26, 2011
    AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    NoGoSlow likes this.
  6. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    THANKS! :)

speedcat likes this.
  7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    What about just leave the radio there and not use it?

Seems like that would look better than a junk compartment full of stuff

308 milano and thorn like this.
  8. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Well..
    The radio looks pretty bad - modern, blue lights, etc... ;) The blanking plate would look a lot better. So would a period-correct unit but I don't see any point in trying to find something since I don't find a radio useful in the car.

You are right though, a tray full of junk wouldn't look very good either unless I tossed a couple of Rolex watches in it! So now I just need to spend 10 bucks on a tray and 10k on a couple of (cheap) Rolex watches. Hmm, even by Ferrari parts standards, that sounds dumb (even if I could afford it)! :)

Blanking plate sounding better and would take nothing to make. I have some genuine fake leather laying around that looks pretty much like the dash material...

9. dinonz308

dinonz308 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 26, 2017
    Full Name:
    Dean
    If you're prepared to use genuine fake leather, why not buy some genuine fake Rolexes for that tray? ;)

10. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Hey, THERE's an idea! A guy I used to work with bought a fake Rolex President on the street in NYC every few years - 35 bucks. You couldn't tell it wasn't real unless you held it in your hand - very light and the second hand moved once per second.

11. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Re-thinking about changing the radio instead of the blanking plate. I have read that Blaupunkt was a common dealer-installed radio for 328s. Would a Becker have been available from US dealers as well? How about Grundig?

12. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I purchased a Blaupunkt "Montreal" radio w/cassette on Ebay. It should look perfect in the 328 though I don't know if it would have actually been available. It might have been a bit too old. By '89 I assume some car radios would have had CD rather than cassette. I had cars back then but frankly, I don't recall if CD was common in cars by then or not. I'm going to mod the radio and add a bluetooth capability which will not be visible so can just use the iPhone I use for nav for some music as well. OR, I could just record onto some cassettes! :)

13. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Any Blaupunkt or Alpine cassette deck from that era would be appropriate; CD decks were certainly being produced around 1988-89 (though if memory serves, the earliest ones were single-DIN units that did not incorporate a tuner. They were installed paired with a secondary tuner/cassette DIN unit, and almost always required an external amp).

I think Blaupunkt is the more popular choice for a Ferrari, as Alpine's marking was associated with Lamborghini. Personally I prefer and chose an Alpine unit, and use a cassette adapter for those 12 minutes a year that I want to connect my phone to the audio system. Ebay is a great source for such vintage units of course.

14. thoke

thoke Karting

Jul 31, 2011
    Ridgway CO
    Full Name:
    T.Hoke
  15. sidtx

sidtx F1 Rookie
    Owner

Feb 9, 2014
    Frisco, Tx
    Full Name:
    Sid
    I don't have a 328, I have an 85 Mondial QV. It didn't come from the factory with a radio. However, the original dealership installed an Alpine Cassette deck -- I have the original work order and receipt.

It doesn't sound anything like a modern stereo, but it sure looks period and looks good. I usually receive positive remarks/comments about it during car shows.

You can find period radios/cassette decks on Ebay and other sources. Also some neat period posters -- anyone remember the Alpine / Countache advertisement?

Personally, I think I would rather have a poor sounding, but original looking (period) radio deck, than a block off plate.

Sid

thorn likes this.
  16. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    #16 mike996, Apr 19, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    Installed my new (old) Blaupunkt Montreal this morning. Here are the before/after pics. The "after" is MUCH better though I think it's actually too old for an '89 328. Maybe for an '86 but no matter. It sounds OK - as good as the 2015 Sony though it doesn't have an aux input or an input for an SD card or other hi tech froo-fraws. ;)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

speedcat likes this.
  17. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    308 milano likes this.
  18. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Heck yeah - looks great! See if you can find a generic plastic DIN border/edge... If you can, then remove the "security handle" and close that gap completely.

19. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Saabguy likes this.
  20. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Thanks, Doc; ordered one a couple of minutes ago! :)

21. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    If you choose to create a blanking plate, just know the it was covered in the same black vinyl that’s on the dash, not leather.

22. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

This is the original dealer installed Alpine in my 1989 328 GTB. They were also one of the more commonly installed units at the time.

23. jkstevens2

jkstevens2 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2015
    Winter Park, FL
    Full Name:
    JK Stevens
    If you are taking 1600 mile trips in your 308 congrats to you. How about a pull out cup holder?

24. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Ha!... Looks like a 7280? That's the unit I've put in mine.

25. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Not a bad addition for the money. Works pretty well. I have three.