Removing AC/ALT belt | FerrariChat

Removing AC/ALT belt

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by dersark_painclinic, Nov 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dersark_painclinic

dersark_painclinic Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    I have done it before but this time I can not get the belt lose to remove. It is a straight forward procedure to loosen the Bolt (53) and (51), Looking at the picture I do not figure out the mechanism of loosening the belt.
    Any help appreciated. Sark
    Image Unavailable, Please Login A and B, but no sign of be coming lose.

2. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I just did this to replace the bearing for the idler pulley. You need to slacken the 38 bolt so that the alternator is free and can slide in and out when the tentioner bolt goes in and out. 50 is also good to slacken. I did this from the top with open hood and with the undertray cover on. You need to put the wrench on from the «underside» of the alternator If I remember right. Not exactly easy but with some patience, you will make it. And raw muscle power because it is hard to get momentum on it in that tight position.

3. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Erik, The manual says Bolt A (51) and B(53) are the only two bolts needs to loosen or adjust the belt and that is how I done it in the past. with loosening the bolts belt is still thigh. I will do as you recommend, more bolts you loosen eventually easier it will pop out, I do not understand how the unit # 47 works?

4. dersark_painclinic

Mar 8, 2005
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Lazik Der Sarkissian
    Alternator is supported by bolt#38 ( meanwhile works as a hing ) and # 50 ( maintain the tension when it is tighten) . Per manual Bolt A and B should do the work.
    Some forceful wiggling up and down of Alternator will help to loosen the belt but cost me cuts and bruises on my hand, less damaging approach would be Erik's advise.
    Thanks, Sark

F456M likes this.
  5. franschman

franschman Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2017
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Bolt 53 acts as a sort of turnbuckle to tighten the belt. So you should not just loosen it but screw it in altogether. Look closely and you will see...