News

Removing Cam Covers on '89 TR

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Jerrari, May 30, 2004.

1. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Anything special I should know before tackling this? Is it pretty straight forward. I simply want to powder coat them red...they are faded and peeling. Thanks, Jerry.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    Fairly straightforward. Look for the 2 nuts in the middle of the cam cover.......one at each end.

I assume they are leaking oil. If not, then I would wait till they do.....as I did mine at that time. I just painted mine.........only has to last for 30K miles.......then I will spray them again.

4. GTO84

GTO84 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Assuming the engine is in? When you remove the covers, the front breather tubes are a pain to get to and may freeze on. Cut them if you must but be sure to have 6 inches of hose on hand. The cam seals must be upright and flush in their bores when you reseal the covers. It will take an hour or 2 to fully remove all old gasket material from the head with a razor.

5. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Thanks guys.

6. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    of course you'd be mad not to check and adjust your valve clearances while the covers are off.

Early cars have a gasket around the spark plug holes, while later cars have o rings. The o rings require a tiny spot of grease to hold them in postion during assembly.

7. To remove this ad click here.