Removing clear bra glue | FerrariChat

Removing clear bra glue

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Texas Forever, Dec 11, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The front clear bra on my wife's Lexus gave up the ghost and peeled off. Unfortunately, it left behind a sticky residue. What's the safest way of getting rid of the gunk without damaging the clear coat.?

2. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    I used Goo Gone. Let is sit for awhile. Then can remove with cotton towel or a soft plastic squeegee. 3M adhesive remover works too. Both never damaged my clear coated paint.

3. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

For small areas a plastic razor blade and 3M adhesive remover will work, for large ares I would use a steam machine and a plastic razor. If you go the steam route, don't get the steam nozzle too close to the painted surface, you just want to soften the residue and gently lift it off with the plastic razor.

4. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    That's how I did my Cali hood.

5. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Will a hair dryer work?

6. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

Probably not hot enough, but you can give it a try. A heat gun will work, but you will have to be especially careful of the focused heat. FYI, most clear bra installers will also remove any residue left by their installations if you want to explore that option.

7. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  8. Edgar Diaz

Edgar Diaz Karting

Sep 13, 2014
    Alabama
    Full Name:
    Edgar Diaz
    Just removed clear bra and it also left glue behind. Tried 3-M adhesive remover and goo gone without success. Tried Denatured Alcohol and it worked. It still took lots of patience and time, but it worked.

9. obbob

obbob Formula Junior

Aug 14, 2017
    My detailer used IPA to remove the adhesive from my clearbra. He also did a bit of polishing on some tougher spots.

10. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I used Odorless Mineral Spirits. It softened the glue quickly. Used it sparingly on a squeaky clean car. Applied with microfiber towel 1 direction, removed after with cold water on fresh clean micro towel. Some areas required repeat applications. Then sprayed clean area with light coat of speed shine over clean water again to make sure no remains. Dryed. Next day rewaxed.