removing clear coat from painted plastic interior trim pieces (Non-Ferrari) | FerrariChat

removing clear coat from painted plastic interior trim pieces (Non-Ferrari)

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ferrariformulauno, Mar 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferrariformulauno

ferrariformulauno Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2008
    33km from Maranello
    Full Name:
    Andre
    Guys

I'm trying to do ssome detail work on my Clio and need to find a solution to removing the factory plastic clear coat from interior trim pieces. I don't believe it is a soft touch clear coat although it has become gummy so to speak.

So far I've tried Brake Cleaner and then Nail Polish remover with little success. It seems to come off more from scrapping/friction generated than anything else.

I've also looked at chemical compatibly charts vs plastics but have found zero information againts surface clear coatings used on plastics.

I'm looking to retain the basecoat color grey over black plastic and do not plan on re-clearcoating the plastic trim.

I've thought about wet sanding although it would be very difficult due to small curvatures and complete removal of the dash to get this part out.

I've not tried Methyl Ethyl Ketones yet but I guess this could be the next step. Any ideas?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Thanks!

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Can you post a photo? Many car interior parts (especially older cars) don't have coatings - the parts are as-mold. Coatings started to improve the cosmetics of the parts and to facilitate the use of backlite graphics.

Many, many different processes are used to achieve the results. In many cases, primers and clear coats are not used - it all depends on the application.

3. ferrariformulauno

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2008
    33km from Maranello
    Full Name:
    Andre
    Okay will post some pictures later today, Thank you!

4. ferrariformulauno

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2008
    33km from Maranello
    Full Name:
    Andre
    okay here are some images showing the coating on the radio and the surround piece

Attached Files:

5. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Interesting - that does appear to be a soft touch. My suggestion is to remove a piece and try isopropyl alcohol on an area not seen. It might take the base paint off.

ferrariformulauno likes this.
  6. crazyswede1027

crazyswede1027 Karting

Mar 21, 2010
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Chris S.
    Love to see what works. Looks similar to stuff in my volvo v70 thats becoming sticky